SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 2029 Posts

·
Dhaka-Ottawa-DC
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a continuation of the Bangladesh - Airports and Aviation thread. Please use this thread from now on for all aviation related discussions, news and photos.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks Tmac for this.

Any reason as to why this thread couldn't or shouldn't continue?
The reason being that if it gets too large, it looses its purpose. The purpose of the thread is that the new comers as well as regular contributors will be able to visit most if not all of the contents once in a while. Once the thread gets over 50 pages, people are not willing to go back much to catch up or revisit the posts.

By the way, it is a standard practice for forums to start new threads once it hits certain benchmark, either certain pages or certain number of posts.

·
Aviation Nut
639 Posts
So whats the current status of BD's aviation..... I have heard of several carriers wishing to participate in probably the fast growing industry in Bangldesh

As mentioned there is room to grow international destinations, but domestic?

P.S - There are rumours that someone has brought L1011 aircraft to start international operations sometime this year

·
Imran Asif
2,213 Posts
this is a continuation of the Bangladesh - Airports and Aviation thread. Please use this thread from now on for all aviation related discussions, news and photos.
Thank you Tmac for creating and making the platform available for all of us here with a fetish on aviation, particularly that of Bangladesh! The original thread went over a hundred pages and a whopping 2000+ posts, even without being widely promoted, which is simply amazing! :)

·
Imran Asif
2,213 Posts
So whats the current status of BD's aviation..... I have heard of several carriers wishing to participate in probably the fast growing industry in Bangldesh

As mentioned there is room to grow international destinations, but domestic?

P.S - There are rumours that someone has brought L1011 aircraft to start international operations sometime this year
So far, I haven't come across a single private airline in BD with a sound business plan (and I've had sneak peeks on the plan and financials of each ;)).

The domestic growth for air travelling isn't going to be worthwhile for the current type of operations. As discussed earlier, the relatively high fares compared to other modes offsets whatever time saving advantage travelling by air offers. A low-cost operation model, however, might work.

As for anyone getting an L-1011, I saw an ex-ATA Tristar last week at ZIA and had seen this one a few times before. I was of the idea that it was on a military charter service, and would be surprised if a local carrier really brought it for intl pax services!

·
Aviation Nut
639 Posts
The domestic growth for air travelling isn't going to be worthwhile for the current type of operations. As discussed earlier, the relatively high fares compared to other modes offsets whatever time saving advantage travelling by air offers. A low-cost operation model, however, might work
As for anyone getting an L-1011, I saw an ex-ATA Tristar last week at ZIA and had seen this one a few times before. I was of the idea that it was on a military charter service, and would be surprised if a local carrier really brought it for intl pax services!
Wow, I am out of the country and I know more than you :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: Apparently they have brought two L1011's for commerical international operations and they are currently in the middle east for A-Check & periodic checks.

So far, I haven't come across a single private airline in BD with a sound business plan (and I've had sneak peeks on the plan and financials of each ).
I have seen RBA's and part of GMG's..... particularly like RBA's one and we all now their intentions for international operations....

The domestic growth for air travelling isn't going to be worthwhile for the current type of operations. As discussed earlier, the relatively high fares compared to other modes offsets whatever time saving advantage travelling by air offers. A low-cost operation model, however, might work
So your saying that for a short 45min hop Jet's are the question?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Somebody bought 2 L-1011's?:rofl:
Some people in Bangladeshare trying to get rid of DC-10's & some other are buying DC-10's contemporary jets?:rofl:
Which buggar airlines is in question? Best Air maybe? They are Middle-East backed & their lovely tristars are in ME right now!:hilarious

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Boeing Sr. Vice President expresses satisfaction over purchase of Boeing aircraft by Biman, Asia continues to be the biggest driver of aviation growth in next five years

May 16, 2008

A Monitor Special
Dhaka : Over the next five years Asia will continue to be the biggest driver of aviation growth Given by the economies of China and India, Asia is growing economically. So will its traffic.

This was observed by Marty A. Bentrott, Senior Vice President, Middle East and Africa sales, Commercial Airplanes, Boeing said while talking to The Bangladesh Monitor in Dhaka during his recent visit on the occasion of signing aircraft agreement with Biman Bangladesh Airlines. People can now afford to travel, or have to travel for business or employment, he said

Expressing satisfaction about signing aircraft deal with Biman Bentrott said that it is exciting to see Biman turning around. The choice of Biman shows the airline has chosen the strategy for flying point to point, and people do like flying point to point. This deal will make the airline younger, he opined.

He said that Biman signing the definitive agreements for Boeing aircraft was the result of 12 years of persevering efforts of top Boeing executives, one of whom made as many as 57 trips to Bangla-desh in that period. "There was skepticism. So many times we thought it would never happen," he said, adding, "it proves that all about building elationships and allowing them to be crowned with success."

Asked who are the leading customers of Boeing in neighbouring India, Bentrott said Air India and Jet Airways. The leading Boeing customers in Gulf region are Emirates, Qatar Airways and Saudi Arabian Airlines. Bentrott said Boeing-Airbus enjoy 50: 50 share of the Asian aircraft market. In Middle East it is 60pc Airbus: 40pc Boeing. It (the business) is in cycles. Boeing is doing pretty well in Middle East this year.

In Europe, Boeing: Airbus share was 50:50. Here too business in three year cycles. In US: we're stronger than Airbus. Replying to a query on the best selling aircraft of his company, Bentrott said Boeing B777-300ER was the best selling aircraft, the market leader for a wide-body aircraft. SIA, Emirates, JAL are the leading buyers of the aircraft in Asia. Little over 1,000 has been built and the production target is 2000 - there are orders already for 300 to 400 of them.

Boeing B777LR is the best aircraft for point to point flight. Airlines can choose between more seats or extra range. Air India and Emirates have gone for extra range. Air India is using this aircraft for New Delhi- New York flights and Emirates for Dubai-Los Angeles flights.

Regarding the delay of Dreamliner s, he said, getting the first Dreamliner built and rolling it out caused delays to the latter aircraft. We tried a different business model, which turned out to be more complex than thought. There was the problem of system integral and in final assembly at Puget Sound - three days was target after receiving all the components, now it is five (very fast for a wide-body)- is at Puget Sound. Major parts come from Italy, Japan (major producer Mitsubishi, Kawasaki) and China. Parts will be made in India in future.

Boeing B737 is assembled at Renton, Washington while B747s, B767s, B777s, B787s are at Everett, Washington. About naming 787 as Dreamliner, he said, we invited names. We found that most of the people suggested Dreamliner for the 7E7 aircraft. The Dreamliner's body is aerodynamic, made of composite materials, and is 20 per cent fuel efficient than other aircraft of the present days and makes long distance travel easier and makes it an enjoyable experience -ensuring higher humidity and lower cabin pressure. Dreamliner's engines are powered either by GE's Genex or Rolls Royce's Trent 100.

On the US aviation scenario, he said, demand for travel will slow in US due to higher unemployment and slower GDP growth. Legacy carriers in US are under lot of pressure specially due to higher fuel prices as costs cannot be kept down because of it. Some are responding by creating own subsidiary companies to run LCCs. He said low cost carriers are good for the people as they have more options to fly.

Headquartered in Chicago, Boeing employs more than 160,000 people across the United States and in 70 countries, with major operations in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, southern California and St. Louis. Total company revenue for 2007 was $66.4 billion.

Boeing has been the premier manufacturer of commercial jetliners for more than 40 years. With the merger of Boeing and McDonnell Douglas in 1997, Boeing's leadership in commercial jets, joined with the lineage of Douglas airplanes, gives the combined company a 70-year heritage of leadership in commercial aviation. Today, the main commercial products are the 737, 747, 767 and 777 families of airplanes and the Boeing Business Jet. New product development efforts are focused on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, and the 747-8.

The company has nearly 12,000 commercial jetliners in service worldwide, which is roughly 75 percent of the world fleet. Through Boeing Commercial Aviation Services, the company provides unsurpassed, around-the-clock technical support to help operators maintain their airplanes in peak operating condition.

http://www.bangladeshmonitor.net/aviation_story.php?recordID=1436

·
Registered
576 Posts
Wow, I am out of the country and I know more than you :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: Apparently they have brought two L1011's for commerical international operations and they are currently in the middle east for A-Check & periodic checks.
I hope you people are not serious about this :eek:hno:.... A couple of L1011 for international pax service!!! I would also want to know which carrier is this? It would perhaps make some sense for Bismillah...but for pax service...

Though I also know this for fact that non of the private airline in BD have any decent business plan, but, as they have put their money at stake, I hope sanity should prevail at the end.

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
^^
I wasn't even aware that L1011s are still available for passenger service! Money must have not been any object! :lol:

·
Aviation Nut
639 Posts
L1011 is not a bad aircraft......though would be very old, thus causing high operating cost.

How do you consider OLD? 1984 with low hours / cycles just that the fuel burn is shocking! The maintenance 'high operating costs' as you put it shouldnt really be a problem

A - There are plenty of spares available for this type of aircraft
B - The only high operating cost in the fuel burn
C - Maintenance is done in the ME
D - Pretty sure that these aircraft have gone through the A - spar check saving them $$$$$$

·
Aviation Nut
639 Posts
I hope you people are not serious about this :eek:hno:.... A couple of L1011 for international pax service!!! I would also want to know which carrier is this? It would perhaps make some sense for Bismillah...but for pax service...

Though I also know this for fact that non of the private airline in BD have any decent business plan, but, as they have put their money at stake, I hope sanity should prevail at the end.
Hang on so your saying that you have seen all three business plans of GMG / United / RBA are you think they are wrong?

P.S United's prospectes on the internet doesnt consitute as a business plan

I'd be septical if you have seen them all, due to the fact I know one of them is pretty much confidential [It was hard getting my copy]

Truth is there is only one I reckon will make it and that is RBA, they know what they are doing :cheers:

·
Aviation Nut
639 Posts
Somebody bought 2 L-1011's?:rofl:
Some people in Bangladeshare trying to get rid of DC-10's & some other are buying DC-10's contemporary jets?:rofl:
Which buggar airlines is in question? Best Air maybe? They are Middle-East backed & their lovely tristars are in ME right now!:hilarious
They had a website until the server went caput last year

*hint* when you die you go to heaven......... somepeople reckon ****** look after us

*I am sorry if this isnt your relgion views - but just trying to make a point on who the carrier is*

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
^^
There must be very good reasons as to why the L1011s were put out to pasture. In today's world a startup airline cannot be successful using equipment from the salvage yard.

However, as the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding. :)

·
Aviation Nut
639 Posts
^^
There must be very good reasons as to why the L1011s were put out to pasture. In today's world a startup airline cannot be successful using equipment from the salvage yard.

However, as the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding. :)
True - but I know these aircraft [sort of] & these aircraft were not from the salvage yard however already in operations

I think that this personally wont last long......... but i'll sit and drink to it

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
^^
While all of you guys being aviation enthusiasts (I am as well) dream up all kinds of possibilities, step back for a moment and think from a consumer's point of view: If I can fly in a spanking brand new aircraft where the HVAC isn't questionable, where the ride is smooth, where there is per seat inflight entertainment, why should I bother flying in an old craft that is kept together with duck tape, where I would be either sweating or freezing, with nothing to kill my time? Unless there is a HUGE demand for seats on a daily basis as opposed to the supply, startups with prehistoric flying machines will not succeed. As simple as that.

·
Aviation Nut
639 Posts
^^
While all of you guys being aviation enthusiasts (I am as well) dream up all kinds of possibilities, step back for a moment and think from a consumer's point of view: If I can fly in a spanking brand new aircraft where the HVAC isn't questionable, where the ride is smooth, where there is per seat inflight entertainment, why should I bother flying in an old craft that is kept together with duck tape, where I would be either sweating or freezing, with nothing to kill my time? Unless there is a HUGE demand for seats on a daily basis as opposed to the supply, startups with prehistoric flying machines will not succeed. As simple as that.

Not really - you miss the point exactly

1 - 20 of 2029 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.