SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 5276 Posts

· Athleta Christi
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are there decent maps with the national road system?
2 weeks ago i bought a road-map in albania, which includes the road numbers, etc.
I would scan for you parts of the map, but I've forgotten it in Kosova!

58,905 Posts
but somehow the motorway lames look pretty narrow and why aren´t there shoulders?
Be glad there are roads at all. Albania has lived in total isolation from the rest of the world for decades. Private car-ownership was forbidden, and therefor there was zero investment in road or rail infrastructure.

Most roads where repaved by NATO in order to move troops, as i have heard.

But Albania is moving forward fast, and that's a good thing, but don't forget they started from scratch a decade ago.

58,905 Posts
Because that's Albanian languague.

One of the most difficult languagues in Europe i've seen so far. From Russian to Polish, and from Romanian to Spanish, from Croatian to Swedish, i can translate at least parts or words from a text, but Albanian: Nothing.

· Banned
3,363 Posts

One of the most difficult languagues in Europe i've seen so far. From Russian to Polish, and from Romanian to Spanish, from Croatian to Swedish, i can translate at least parts or words from a text, but Albanian: Nothing.
chris speaks all languaces in europe, i want also be that skilled.

58,905 Posts
chris speaks all languaces in europe, i want also be that skilled.
:lol:

I only speak Dutch, English and German, and a little French.

But reading of many languagues isn't that hard if you have a feeling for languagues. I used only Polish wikipedia to write articles about Polish expressways on the Dutch autosnelwegen forum (in Dutch). Polish is one of the harder languagues to read, i don't understand all words, but there are online translators, but i hardly use them.
But Albanian? It's different than other Slavonian languagues like Croatian, Czech or Russian.

· Islander
39,140 Posts

No, I asked why TIRANE was written without dots above the "E".

· padisha emperor
439 Posts
Well, as an Albanian-American "Shqiperia" which is what Albanians call their country is derived from Shqi-Shqebonje, which is the symbol that is on the national flag (the two-headed eagle). That in turn is derived from the symbol worn by Gjorg Skenderbeg, the national hero of Albania who warded off invading Ottomans in the 1300's. Very quick history lesson ;)

1 - 20 of 5276 Posts