Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 286 Posts

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Al-Anbar Province (Arabic: الأنبار‎; al-’Anbār) (or Al Anbar Governorate) is the largest province in Iraq geographically. Encompassing much of the country's western territory, it shares borders with Syria, Jordan and Saudi Arabia. The provincial capital is Ramadi. Other important cities include Fallujah and Haditha. The total area of Anbar is 140,000 km2 which is approximately equivalent to 1/3 of the total area of Iraq.

It's geography is characterized by the Arabian and Syrian deserts, steppes, valleys, hills, lakes (Lake Tharthar and Lake Habbaniyah being the most famous and biggest in Iraq) and the Euphrates river. Most of the population lives near the banks of the Euphrates river in Eastern Al-Anbar - close to Baghdad.

It's also a province that is extremely rich in terms of natural resources but at the same time it's a fairly undiscovered province.

In my opinion it is a very beautiful and diverse province that is a hidden pearl of Iraq with a proud, strong and independent people.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Believe it or not but this picture was apparently taken back in October 1966!

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad that you like it guys.

I updated the thread another time so now there are 85 pictures in total. Take a look at them if you like.:) I was yet again surprised by the beauty and diversity of Al-Anbar, especially the small villages as might be seen by the pictures.

Yes, the potential is big but that's the case with ALL of Iraq in my opinion. Many just don't realize it and doubt themselves. But of course there are also other problems than just that but let's enjoy a thread for a change instead of the negative thoughts.:D

The picture that was quoted is from Lake Tharthar.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You are welcome 3ini.

Yes, I like that as well. It's charming and also makes the landscape beautiful. Al-Anbar is fairly hilly especially in the valleys and Northern Al-Anbar close to the Nineveh Province and Syria.

I have never been in the isolated areas of Al-Anbar but I have heard that there are a lot of rocky desert, wadis, ridges and depressions in those isolated areas.

The highest point of Al-Anbar is Mount Unayzah close to Jordan and KSA with a height of 951 metres, so one could call that a mountain.

But those areas I describe are very isolated and I have a hard time finding pictures from those regions. Al-Anbar is bigger than England (140.000 km2 >130.000 km2, LOL) but it has fairly few pictures avaliable.

Those isolated, rocky, hilly and mountainous regions of Al-Anbar full of wadis and depressions are as I said very isolated areas and it was apparently in such areas where AQI, smugglers etc. were once found. So more or less a lawless area which due to it's geography and location has made it difficult ot control for anybody.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is another picture from the hills/mountains of the isolated areas in Al-Anbar.:D

But I am still looking after more pictures from those isolated areas. But I am not sure that I will find many, unfortunately.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Arab tribal dance in Al-Anbar.

Poetry at a funeral of a sheikh. (old video)

Poem about the Al-Shammar tribe which is the biggest Arab tribe in Iraq with approximately 3.5 million members and one of the biggest in Saudi Arabia as well. They are numerous in Al-Anbar as well.

Wedding celeberations among the Dulaim tribe in Al-Anbar.

Very good report from one of the famous mosques in Ramadi.

:D

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
A few more pictures from Al-Anbar:

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nice pictures, especially of the forat river.
:cheers:

I wish to find more pictures of the isolated areas in Al-Anbar, although I included about 10-15 of such pictures.

It's a very diverse province with all kind of landscapes. The problem is that it's fairly isolated and unknown and the area of the province (140.000 km2 - 1/3 of Iraq's total area) can also be a problem. It's 10.000 km2 bigger than England for example.

Next time I will be in Al-Anbar (don't know when that will be) I will try to visit the numerous wadis, rocky desert parts, hills, ridges and depressions in those isolated areas, as well as the mountains in the extreme west.

But that will only happen if it becomes safer and with people who are familar with such areas. Local bedouins would be a good pick.:)

But all in all it's a very undiscovered province for most Iraqis for obvious reasons such as the challenging geography of Al-Anbar, location and low population density.

Personally I believe that the Al-Anbar province has a very big potential in many fields.

·
Galactico
11,194 Posts
I wish to find more pictures of the isolated areas in Al-Anbar, although I included about 10-15 of such pictures.
Maybe you can use Mapcarta.com or panoramio.com. There are a lot of pictures there. The websites are basically the same but just with different design.

It's a very diverse province with all kind of landscapes. The problem is that it's fairly isolated and unknown and the area of the province (140.000 km2 - 1/3 of Iraq's total area) can also be a problem. It's 10.000 km2 bigger than England for example.
True. It will defenitly be more explored and known in the future because of the potential resources there.

Next time I will be in Al-Anbar (don't know when that will be) I will try to visit the numerous wadis, rocky desert parts, hills, ridges and depressions in those isolated areas, as well as the mountains in the extreme west.

But that will only happen if it becomes safer and with people who are familar with such areas. Local bedouins would be a good pick.:)
Sounds like an interesting trip but yea you should be careful. Remember to take pictures and share them with us. :tongue2:

But all in all it's a very undiscovered province for most Iraqis for obvious reasons such as the challenging geography of Al-Anbar, location and low population density.

Personally I believe that the Al-Anbar province has a very big potential in many fields.
Yea I bet that much business will be going on in the province in the coming decades.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I know those pages. Unfortunately there are no pictures, apart from those I posted, from the isolated areas I am talking about.

Insha'Allah it will. I have extended family living in Al-Anbar so I hope that they will be successful and it's people because they have been forgotten for decades and have suffered the most since the horrible 2003 invasion.

I am part Shammari, so I will be more than welcome, don't worry about that 3ini.
Especially not since I love traditional Arab culture which Al-Anbar is famous for in the Arab world. So I feel very much at home in Al-Anbar. And yes, when such a trip will take place I will gladly post pictures:D

Yes, we can only hope and pray for that to happen. But you know me, I would love investments but hate to see the local traditional culture disappear as a consequence of that. So a combination would be a wonderful option:)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little question:

Would I be ridiculed if I posted this thread in the main forum to educate/inform other people of Iraq - in this case Al-Anbar? Do Iraq have any thread as other countries have in the photography thread? Maybe this would also attract more interest to Iraq and thus more investments.:D

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
More pictures of the beautiful Al-Anbar province:D

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
dude you posted so many pictures that were not in anbar. many are not even in Iraq at all.

here are a few...

syria

god knows where this is? maybe indonesia?

this looks like hillah

this one looks like Oman UAE or somewhere similar.

this is from Samawa

this is hillah again.

I think this is khanaqin in diyala

this is in erbil kurdistan

this is saddam's palace in tikrit

donno where this is? either sinjar or hamrin or outside iraq...

somewhere in the gulf? saudi? (unless they have mobily service in anbar without our knowledge!)

mosul.

1 - 20 of 286 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.