SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Waiting for 122
3,803 Posts
that arab man on the boat looks dodgy. Snipers on the top floor of Canary Wharf should take him out imo :D

Meh its a given, our scrapers have been attacked by the IRA in the past. They will stand strong, and if they get blown up, we will build again.

I trust the police, MI5 and MI6 to do their job properly.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,745 Posts
A target maybe, but then.. WTC wasn't chosen for its height (well, it makes it easier I suppose if they're double the size of surrounding towers) but for its symbolism, it was a world figure.. CW is the financial hub of London, but I doubt its iconic status is anywhere on par with what WTC was..

·
Registered Abuser
17,047 Posts
There has been many redesigns to buildings in London since 9/11....and I would think an attack would halt skyscraper development!

·
Registered
13 Posts
New York's grand architecture is predominantly just skyscrapers. New York to me is just the mother of capitalism and the birth place of the style of so many generic cities that are emerging around the world. Its aesthetics are not inspiring.

The small number in London at least have character and the ones in Canary Wharf have replaced a dilapidated site - you might not think they are amazingly tall or special but it is voted as one of the best places to work on the planet. Its one of the world's fastest growing financial districts and has led to competition within London itself between the City which in turn is fueling economic growth for both the UK and Global Economy - which is vital in order for New York (and the US) to sustain its own ecomony - though I pray for the day the EU can get its economic act together and create real economic opposition to the states and thus it becomes more aware of the world around it.

Height is not everything.

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
Canary Wharf, and British skyscrapers generally, have a very bright future. New Yorks skyline is very boring and not exactly nice.
I don't think Al-Qaeda could manage attacking a London skyscraper but I think if they were to attack London, which Im sure they would if they could, then they would chose something else like the tube, Heathrow Airport...etc something which could cause havoc but with minimal effort. London does need to be careful because if the city has to 'stop' because of an attack the UK would be in a massive crisis. If it happened in NY its not quite as bad because there are lots of big wide roads, but in London- and Paris and cities like that they could 'choke'. So I think London needs to be careful but not so much in skyscrapers. I dont think it should stop the skyscraper boom. I doubt they would attack any other british city.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I dont understand what is the point in putting a reply if its gonna be negative i guess thats what u would expect from a ignorant indian

·
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
9,583 Posts
We should just leave it cos he's trolling.

It was just taking the piss anyways. guess he can't take a joke :)

·
Illustrator
6,672 Posts
I read on Emporis that there was a World Trade Center in Canary Wharf that was bombed by IRA in 1996 and then stood empty until they demolished it. But why is noone talking about this?

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=138913

1 - 20 of 23 Posts