SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting an introduction, for who don't know it, kairouan, or, Al-Qayrawan, was the first arab city in north africa, built by okba ibnou nafae, this city had many stages in it's history. first, it was a base to expend to north africa, then, it became the capital of north africa, wich was called, ifriqya, and from that, africa, is called africa.when the city had it's own civilisation, the aghlabic, or, the aghlabid, the city grew, to be the capital, of education, arts, relegion, and politic, it had palaces like hamra palace in spain, and many libraries, hospitals, etc... it was the baghdad of the western arab world, or the western muslim civlisation, or even better. many brilliant scientists in their time, studied their.
the city was even larger and bigger, than it's today, combined with the modern side, you have a question, what happened? well, idk exactly, here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kairouan
anyway;, when it lost, the citywalls were destroyed, the original city walls, were bigger, and larger, and the city at that time, was even larger and bigger, than it is today, combined with it's modern side. but the city have been destroyed by some wars , that war where the original city walls were destroyed, and then, by two arab tribes, bani hilal, and bani soulaim, but later, when the fatimi goverment, or, civlisation, or whatever, rebuilt the city walls, but effcorse the city was smaller as it is today, and the city walls smaller too, you can still find many ruins in the country side today

those are water reservoirs, there are other ones too, in the country side today, in the past, the city walls, were in front of those reservoirs, not in front directly, but, ferther, means, the city was very large, even that it is today (the old and the modern side, both together)
and, that's it.
idk why they don't teach us about this in school, i mean, the ones that says that kairouan was alot larger in the past, and the real limits of it's walls in the past, and the palaces and etc... my parents generation used to study about it :p

anyway, now i will leave you with the pictures, and i will try to go back in time the best i can, 1900.
and so on

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
too bad i couldnt find too many. but in the 70s and 60s and etc.. they had a craizy fashion, well, like in europe, but, creazier :p :D
you know the total jeans wear, and, those shoes that have lights, wich kids today wear, or, used to wear it, they were like in starwars :p

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to tell you, this city is about 1350 years old, also it's great mosque, that had the oldest minaret in the world, mosque minaret effcorse.

you may be wondering what's those letters, it's because of the rare materials, they took some , from some roman ruins around tunisia.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Sundial

It looks like a minbar, but at the top there is a sundial.

Actual Sundial

The actual sundial.

Drain

Drain in the middle of the courtyard, used to collect rainwater which was preserved in underground cisterns. Note what looks like useless decorations around the hole. It is really made to remove dust from the water before it came to the hole.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Mosque of the three doors

The City Walls

In from the city walls, few buildings lean on the walls. There are occasionally small kiosks built into the wall structure, often used as shops. You can make out the door to one of those on this photo.

The history of Kairouan' city walls date back to 761, but have been destroyed and rebuilt numerous times. Today' discontinuing walls are far from as old as they seem, many parts were rebuilt as late as after World War 2. The oldest surviving parts date back to the 18th century, as do the oldest gate.

The best wall parts are around the Bab Chouhada, which also serves as the main entrance to the most popular areas of the medina.

I highly recommend an evening stroll along the walls, when headlights create an effect equal to the best Oriental images of the Muslim city.

aghlabid pools

There are today two ways of visiting the Aghlabid pools, either by the tourist centre or the western gate leading into the park.

From the tourist centre there is no gate into the park itself, all that is on offer are views from atop the building (see top photo). There are two reasons for this: from up here it is possible to get good views and photos, and you don' get to see how filthy the pools have become. Things were much cleaner before the tourist centre was opened.

Forget all that, though, and try to get a touch of the history behind the pools. The construction is a 9th century achievement, and was used as exactly what it looks like, a water reservoir. Water came from the hills 35 km west of Kairouan, delivered here by aqueduct.

The largest pool is 128 in diametre and 5 metres deep. The structure in its middle are the remains of a pavilion used by the elite of Kairouan to relax on summer evenings.

The two western-most pools. You can just about see the smaller one, right above the tree.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

those pictures are propably taken at winter at about 11 pm or something, that's why those are empty. at summer the city sleeps later, at winter usually at 9-10, everyone go home, it's cold, and everyone have work and school, and etc....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts