SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about Alabama's metropolitan areas. The economy seems to be booming down there. I read that Huntsville and Birminghams unemployment is just 3 percent. Also on the 2004 Bureau of Economic Analysis wage per job I was shocked to see that Huntsville has one of the highest wage per job in nation (Isnt Huntsville a big technology town) and Birmingham from the skyline seems to have alot of large companies based down there.

Also, are any of the coastal towns in Southern Alabama along the coast poised for a boom with the retirement of the baby boomers wanting to move to a warmer climate.

Also any of Atlanta sprawl headed across the Alabama border?

The only thing that suprised me and this has been in the paper before nationally is Birminghams extremely high violent crime rate!

·
UGA1
461 Posts
The Auburn/Opelika metro area near Columbus is booming. The unemployment rate is around 2%! That is unreal. The area is also one of the fastest growing places in the Southeast.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah, it's a shocker realizing that we're not the racist, backwoods state everyone thinks we are...

I read that Huntsville and Birminghams unemployment is just 3 percent. Also on the 2004 Bureau of Economic Analysis wage per job I was shocked to see that Huntsville has one of the highest wage per job in nation (Isnt Huntsville a big technology town)
Actually, Huntsville's unemployment rate is 2.5%, and Huntsville has the second highest average income in the SE behind Atlanta. One in 13 people in Huntsville are engineers, and 38% of the population has at least a Bachelor's degree. The city is expected to gain 10,000 jobs from BRAC, and another 1,600 from the new Hudson-Alpha Biotech Institute.

Also, are any of the coastal towns in Southern Alabama along the coast poised for a boom with the retirement of the baby boomers wanting to move to a warmer climate.
Baldwin County, on Alabama's Gulf Coast, is exploding right now with new development, especially with new 20-30 story condo towers in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores. There are large new retail developments in Foley, Gulf Shores and Spanish Fort. The growth rate is a bit slower than its Florida counterparts, but it's a good rate for a state that can't build new roads in less than a decade.

God damn, I hope not. But it's inevitable.

Birmingham from the skyline seems to have alot of large companies based down there.
Birmingham is home to companies like Saks (yes, Saks Fifth Avenue), AmSouth Bank, Regions Bank (they're merging soon), and Compass Bank. Birmingham is also home to many large regional operations of companies like BellSouth and Wachovia. It also has a prosperous biomed industry, thanks to the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

The only thing that suprised me and this has been in the paper before nationally is Birminghams extremely high violent crime rate!
Downtown, Southside and the suburbs are relatively safe. From an outsider's point of view, it seems like the western side of the city is where all the crime is occuring.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Huntsville:

Huntsville is a mid-size metropolitan region located in northern Alabama and has a population of 370,000. Accordingto the U.S. Census Bureau, the Huntsville – Decatur Consolidated Metropolitan Area has a population of more than 500,000. Decatur is located less than 20-mile west of Huntsville. With Madison located between, The two cities are rapidly growing together.

Home to the Marshall Space Flight Center (NASA) and the second largest technology park in the United States (Cummings Research Park), Huntsville is clearly ranked among the largest technology centers in the nation.

Huntsville has one of the most highly educated workforce in the nation and usually leads the South in average household income. Huntsville has the highest concentration of engineers in the country.

Birmingham:

Birmingham is Alabama’s largest population center with a population of 1.1 million. Once the South’s largest manufacturing center, Birmingham is much more like Pittsburgh or a major Midwestern city (such as Cleveland or Akron) than its southern counterparts. Birmingham was often referred to as the “Pittsburgh of the South” during the latter half of the 19th Century and early 20th Century because of the similar economic base and topography – location at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.

Today, Birmingham is a leading healthcare and biotechnology research center. UAB (University of Alabama at Birmingham) is Alabama’s the largest employer (19,000 employees). The Federal government pumps more than 270 million annually in the Birmingham economy in support of biotechnology research.

In addition to healthcare, Birmingham has one of the most highly diversified economies in the nation. Other strong sectors are: Banking and insurance (Home to a top-ten largest U.S. banking institution – Regions and a major insurance company- Protective Life) and technology / entrepreneurial development. Birmingham is among the largest magazine publishing center outside New York (Southern Living, Cooking Light, Coastal Living, Health, Southern Accents, and Mental Floss) and many more national magazines are published in Birmingham. Also, Birmingham is located at the center of the nation’s fastest growing automotive region. Mercedes Benz and Honda have major automotive manufacturing facilities in Metropolitan Birmingham. Hyundai just opened a major facility in Montgomery 80 miles south of Birmingham. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Metropolitan Birmingham's unemployment rate is among the lowest in the nation at 2.9%.

Atlanta Sprawl across Alabama border:

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, The Consolidated metropolitan region of Atlanta has now crossed the Georgia state line into Alabama. Atlanta’s consolidated MSA now includes Valley, Alabama Micropolitan Statistical Area; Downtown Atlanta is only 145 miles from Downtown Birmingham – very close; However, there is a big space of nothing between Anniston Alabama (east of Birmingham) for about 40 miles to Douglasville Georgia (west of Atlanta). With the two cities being so close, it’s just a matter of time when Atlanta reaches Anniston, Alabama.

Mobile / Gulf Shores Boom:

Perhaps someone from the Mobile region can answer this? I know Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are awesome with many residential towers, plus many currently under construction. Coastal Alabama - Baldwin County ranks among the best locations for retirees.

Birmingham violence: Central Birmingham, like Atlanta, Memphis, Richmond and New Orleans has a high concentration of lower income houesholds in the central city area. Studies have shown a high correlation of low income and crime. This high crime trend should be reduced by the massive influx of upper income professionals to central Birmingham – downtown and immediate turn of the century neighborhoods

·
Martial Artist
364 Posts
Mobile / Gulf Shores Boom:

Perhaps someone from the Mobile region can answer this? I know Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are awesome with many residential towers, plus many currently under construction. Coastal Alabama - Baldwin County ranks among the best locations for retirees.
Man Orange Beach, i just heard from the local news yesterday that Orange Beach has a new ferris wheel right next to a brand new movie theater. The wheel is one of the largest the entire southeast!

Mobile's economy is blowing up. EADS lands in Mobile, Hurricane Katrina is the reason for this boost in Mobile, the RSA Battle House Tower is close to being finished, a new condo tower for Mobile is coming, the Mardi Gras park development is almost underway, Alabama's cruise ship terminal will soon have 2 ships, not just 1, I-10 Bayview could be expanding. The Martime Center Museum is still a go I think. Another fast growing area in Alabama, along with Huntsville and Auburn/Opelika.

If I forgot anything else, I apologize.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Atlman1 said:
The Auburn/Opelika metro area near Columbus is booming. The unemployment rate is around 2%! That is unreal. The area is also one of the fastest growing places in the Southeast.
I was in Auburn last weekend. The sprawl that has popped up over the last five years is truely gross. I expect it in Opelika but Auburn is suppose to be the loveliest village on the plains, not the cookie cutter copy of every generic suburb in the country. The only thing between the interstate and the art museum that would be missed if it suddenly disappeared is the War Eagle Supper Club. All the rest is strip malls and chain stores. BLAH!

·
Banned
293 Posts
I always thought AL and SC had soem great, underappreciated cities. When will people from ATL start moving to AL and people from Charlotte start moving to SC?

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
i was impressed with birmingham and mobile. b'ham really did have similar vibe as pittsburgh and akron.

·
Registered
37 Posts
AubieTurtle said:
I was in Auburn last weekend. The sprawl that has popped up over the last five years is truely gross. I expect it in Opelika but Auburn is suppose to be the loveliest village on the plains, not the cookie cutter copy of every generic suburb in the country. The only thing between the interstate and the art museum that would be missed if it suddenly disappeared is the War Eagle Supper Club. All the rest is strip malls and chain stores. BLAH!
I had the same impression when passing through there a year ago. What was most striking was that, as far as I could tell, almost all of the "development" had occured within the past few years.

·
UGA1
461 Posts
Buckley said:
I had the same impression when passing through there a year ago. What was most striking was that, as far as I could tell, almost all of the "development" had occured within the past few years.
I agree. The Auburn/Opelika area has just exploded with new development. The area has changed so fast. The population is booming and new industry is moving in every month it seems.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Alabama metros are booming like Birmingham,Montgomery,Mobile etc..."

I don't know that I'd consider Montgomery to be booming (although they certainly are doing fine), but I agree with Bham and Mobile is beginning to surge. Huntsville may be the single biggest boomtown in Alabama though. That place has always amazed me. Auburn is growing rapidly. Tuscaloosa, which is usually overlooked on this board despite being the state's #5 metro has had a very strong economy for years now and usually battles it out with Huntsville and Auburn/Opelika for the state's lowest unemployment rate.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I don't think I would consider any of the Alabama metros booming. They are growing at a real good rate (Birmingham, Huntsville, Mobile), but I wouldn't say booming.

Also, the Atlanta metro already has two eastern Alabama counties in its CSA.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Wow, I'd never thought I'd see and read Alabamans boost their state like this.
Are these places really booming as you say they are? :runaway:

jmanhsv said:
Yeah, it's a shocker realizing that we're not the racist, backwoods state everyone thinks we are...

I read that Huntsville and Birminghams unemployment is just 3 percent. Also on the 2004 Bureau of Economic Analysis wage per job I was shocked to see that Huntsville has one of the highest wage per job in nation (Isnt Huntsville a big technology town)
Actually, Huntsville's unemployment rate is 2.5%, and Huntsville has the second highest average income in the SE behind Atlanta. One in 13 people in Huntsville are engineers, and 38% of the population has at least a Bachelor's degree. The city is expected to gain 10,000 jobs from BRAC, and another 1,600 from the new Hudson-Alpha Biotech Institute.

Baldwin County, on Alabama's Gulf Coast, is exploding right now with new development, especially with new 20-30 story condo towers in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores. There are large new retail developments in Foley, Gulf Shores and Spanish Fort. The growth rate is a bit slower than its Florida counterparts, but it's a good rate for a state that can't build new roads in less than a decade.

God damn, I hope not. But it's inevitable.

Birmingham from the skyline seems to have alot of large companies based down there.
Birmingham is home to companies like Saks (yes, Saks Fifth Avenue), AmSouth Bank, Regions Bank (they're merging soon), and Compass Bank. Birmingham is also home to many large regional operations of companies like BellSouth and Wachovia. It also has a prosperous biomed industry, thanks to the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Downtown, Southside and the suburbs are relatively safe. From an outsider's point of view, it seems like the western side of the city is where all the crime is occuring.

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts
I really never been to Bham and Montgomery. But I have been to Mobile and it looked like it was booming a bit. Is Baldwin county growing more and more? It seems like it. Maybe in about 50 years, Mobile and Pensacola will be one. :jk:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Buckley said:
Well, what did you expect? It IS Auburn, it's no Tuscaloosa! :tongue2:

·
Registered
626 Posts
TexasBoi said:
I really never been to Bham and Montgomery. But I have been to Mobile and it looked like it was booming a bit. Is Baldwin county growing more and more? It seems like it. Maybe in about 50 years, Mobile and Pensacola will be one. :jk:
I've never been to Pensacola besides driving past on I-10, but it gets a lot of attention for its size. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have a Fort Walton-Pensacola-Gulf Shores-Mobile-Biloxi/Gulfport-New Orleans-Baton Rouge megalopolis :)

·
Martial Artist
364 Posts
I really never been to Bham and Montgomery. But I have been to Mobile and it looked like it was booming a bit. Is Baldwin county growing more and more? It seems like it. Maybe in about 50 years, Mobile and Pensacola will be one.
maybe in 25 years.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts