SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first tower crane has gone up on the site of the Earlsdon Retirement Village - a 262 apartment development on the site of the former Butts Technical College just outside the city centre.

Some blurb:

Opening in 2016, the Village will be home to over 350 local older residents, with 262 apartments for affordable rent and purchase and a host of social and leisure facilities to enjoy.

The Village will be located at Earlsdon Park, on the site of the former Butts Technical College, occupying three acres of a newly-created re-development area. The site also includes a refurbished theatre, proposed restaurant, Premier Inn, food store and café.

·
Concerto Grosso
7,648 Posts
There's room in the old Butts theatre for a whole load of retail units - there's a whole road of them between the college building and the office block. And the old college building is still empty apart from the hotel. The long term plan is to also building along the street front (It was originally offices, but I imagine it'll be apartments now - if anything.)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Lol! That type of development seems to be a boom area but if I were retired it would be my idea of hell lol!

I think it looks impressive-but would have been better as 2-3 blocks not a single block- and will really bring that area to life. The problem is, as always with Coventry, the ring road. To access the city centre from there you have to go through a very long, very dingy subway- or risk using crossings at the base of ring road slip roads where drivers don't always stop! If the area had a masterplan in place they could look at modifying that ring road junction and creating a boulevard into the city centre.

I believe that area is targeted for city centre expansion in the long term, so fingers crossed something will be sorted. Wont be for 10, maybe 20 years though!

·
Concerto Grosso
7,648 Posts
if you go around Victorian Road (Behind the Ramada) on Friday/Saturday Night, it's heaving. There are new bars opening up on the strip of shops/restaurants opposite the Ramada. You have Curry houses, Lebanese, Thai and the usual takeaways, plus a pub and then the clubs a bit further on. Up the road is Earlsdon High Street, and then you have the fragmentary remains of Spon Street beyond the offices. There's actually quite a lot going on economically in this area and the wider area. There are student flats, but there are also non-student flats (That are quite expensive to rent out) and some businesses.

But it's typical of Coventry - a load of gaps, nothing linked up properly, dead ends at the ring road, subways, underpasses, no frontages, buildings at weird angles. Large road systems taking up space. No continuity at all. Nothing to really see as you whizz onto the ring road to bypass the city.

I think I said a while back that maybe they should 'prioritise' traffic going into the city centre, which is like your boulevard idea. Even when you get into the city centre it's a mess, though, with the 'backages' of houses, the horrendous road system for IKEA, and the drab and empty square by IKEA. Blank walls. Usual shit. It's a complete mess and a real shame the area has been blighted by the ring road. How long are they going to defend that stupid road?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
if you go around Victorian Road (Behind the Ramada) on Friday/Saturday Night, it's heaving. There are new bars opening up on the strip of shops/restaurants opposite the Ramada. You have Curry houses, Lebanese, Thai and the usual takeaways, plus a pub and then the clubs a bit further on. Up the road is Earlsdon High Street, and then you have the fragmentary remains of Spon Street beyond the offices. There's actually quite a lot going on economically in this area and the wider area. There are student flats, but there are also non-student flats (That are quite expensive to rent out) and some businesses.

But it's typical of Coventry - a load of gaps, nothing linked up properly, dead ends at the ring road, subways, underpasses, no frontages, buildings at weird angles. Large road systems taking up space. No continuity at all. Nothing to really see as you whizz onto the ring road to bypass the city.

I think I said a while back that maybe they should 'prioritise' traffic going into the city centre, which is like your boulevard idea. Even when you get into the city centre it's a mess, though, with the 'backages' of houses, the horrendous road system for IKEA, and the drab and empty square by IKEA. Blank walls. Usual shit. It's a complete mess and a real shame the area has been blighted by the ring road. How long are they going to defend that stupid road?
I think alteration of the junction combined with Coventry South could create a degree of continuity but yes things like Ikea don't really help!

That whole area could become a new quarter of the city centre which links up with Earlsdon- 'Greater Earlsdon', perhaps lol!

The flats behind the skydome were refurbished not long ago but buildings like that will come to the end of their lives in the not too distant future, leaving an absolutely vast swathe of potential development land. Friargate 2 perhaps!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts