SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
expo
Joined
·
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Toronto got theirs, time for Alberta!

You may call them hicks or cowboys but this province is a real asset to Canada. It is amazing what they have done:
Employment: Highest rate in the country
Corporations: Lots
Dirt: Not so much
Skyscrapers: Oh yeah!
Good planning: Everywhere
Funding: Lots
Taxes: Very little
Debt: None
Oil: Plenty
Conservatives: Many
Liberals: Where? :sly:

:jk:

As right wing as they may be; Calgary rapid transit has HUGE rider-ship, Edmonton is getting there, they have the largest wind farm in Canada, and they spend more than any other province per capita.

They give out a huge amount of money in equalization payments and the rest of Canada should be thankful of this great province. They also help balance out the political spectrum.

Gather 'round and tell tales of this great province, sing praise, and post photos!
 

·
Technocrat
Joined
·
878 Posts
YAY! Finally!

Although it will inevitably bring out the bashers (you know who I'm talking about...)

Now, if we could just get some more Venture Capital, Alberta will be bitchin'.

I'm sure you also meant the LOWEST unemployment rate... ;)

As for the local politics, Calgarians tend to vote for Conservative both provincially and federally, but for liberal mayors. Who knows, maybe in the future we will be seeing votes going to the Conservatives federally, Greens provincially, and Liberals municipally. I'll let someone else handle Edmontonians.

Let's get some pics in here, borrowed from all over the place...



Calgary!

Edmonton!

Drumheller!

Banff!

Jasper!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,010 Posts
Alberta is fantastic. I've been to Drumheller, Calgary, and Banff.

I hate stereotypes... I've never thought of Albertans as any different than anyone else. Stereotypes are horrible, horrible things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Nothing is perfect, but Alberta is a great place. Economic conservatism doesn't bother me a whole lot, but social conservatism does.

I think in the next 10 years politics in that province is going to get very interesting. Preston Manning said that he beleives environmentalism is going to be the next big wave, as even though most Albertans love their oil industry they still have concerns with the athabasca oil sands. Changes in politics in Alberta tend to be hard and sudden. Should be fun to see...
 

·
Rock Lord
Joined
·
12,957 Posts
I'm in the UK and saw a bit of Alberta on the News with the Queen being there and it looked a great place - bit wet though (mind you being in the UK, can't really comment about that).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
I love Fat Albert.....he was my favorite....

Oh and I think that if Alberta ran Canada.......the world would be a better place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,010 Posts
Rockford said:
I love Fat Albert.....he was my favorite....

Oh and I think that if Alberta ran Canada.......the world would be a better place.
relatively speaking...

coming from a guy who thinks declining Canadian birth rates is good, and that we're waiting to be liberated, among other things... your opinion on Alberta means as much as the shit on the bottom of my shoes.
 

·
....kay?
Joined
·
550 Posts
oh, i love alberta! i was planning on going there for university but things happened and i think that oncethat i'm done college here, i'll probably transfer to UofC. alberta is amazing! i love it soooo much :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Alberta holds its own...Edmonton and Calgary are both progressive and young cities that try so damn hard to gain respect.

Zim Flyer- anything specific grab your attention?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,365 Posts
To be honest, when I think of Alberta, I think of Calgary, Edmonton, Jasper, and Oil fields. I don't usually think of hicks. I save that for the freaks up in the mountains, with 14 cousin-wives and a hudred bush children :p

There is nothing wrong with Albera, aside from the periodic whining. Which seems to have quited down as of late.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,681 Posts
algonquin said:
relatively speaking...

coming from a guy who thinks declining Canadian birth rates is good, and that we're waiting to be liberated, among other things... your opinion on Alberta means as much as the shit on the bottom of my shoes.
:hilarious

hylaride said:
Nothing is perfect, but Alberta is a great place. Economic conservatism doesn't bother me a whole lot, but social conservatism does.

I think in the next 10 years politics in that province is going to get very interesting. Preston Manning said that he beleives environmentalism is going to be the next big wave, as even though most Albertans love their oil industry they still have concerns with the athabasca oil sands. Changes in politics in Alberta tend to be hard and sudden. Should be fun to see...
Totally agree. Too me, it seems that social conservatism may be just a knee-jerk reaction to express their displeasure against Ottawa. Most Calgarians I know are just as socially progessive as we are, though their displeasure of Ottawa has convinced them to vote Conservative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,640 Posts
^^^^^^^^That's very true. Many Calgarians vote Conservative nationally even if they don't agree with a lot of their social views. Its a Ottwa protest vote.
After BC, Alberta has the highest ratio of Green party votes in the country.
There is also a very clear difference btween urban and rural Alberta.
Edmonton is OK but Calgary is a urban planning wonderland.
Considered the cleanest city in the world of 312 compared. Excellent LRT system with very high ridership and expanding fast. Considered one of the best bicycle friendly city in N.A.
Strong inner city development with pleasant shopping and restaurant districts. High inner city population with active and prosperous neighbourhoods. One of Canada's lowest crime rates which is refreshing considering the crime ridden Vancouver and the drug problem. Nice park system.
Calgary is also becoming more arts friendly with major expansions of cultural institutions underway.
Calgary is not the CowTown people make it out to be.
Calgary is a wonderful city that still retains its prarie friendliness.
When CN moved its headquarters to Calgary from Montreal 86% were happy they made the move........that says a lot especially coming from a great city like Montreal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Dear Alberta,
I know that when I wear my "Eat the Rich" T-shirt to school, you think it's about you. Sorry. Thanks for letting me come to your house and play in Waterton. I also love what you've done upstairs in Calgary and Edmonton. Wanna do a sleepover this weekend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
ssiguy2 said:
^^^^^^^^That's very true. Many Calgarians vote Conservative nationally even if they don't agree with a lot of their social views. Its a Ottwa protest vote.
After BC, Alberta has the highest ratio of Green party votes in the country.
There is also a very clear difference btween urban and rural Alberta.
Edmonton is OK but Calgary is a urban planning wonderland.
Considered the cleanest city in the world of 312 compared. Excellent LRT system with very high ridership and expanding fast. Considered one of the best bicycle friendly city in N.A.
Strong inner city development with pleasant shopping and restaurant districts. High inner city population with active and prosperous neighbourhoods. One of Canada's lowest crime rates which is refreshing considering the crime ridden Vancouver and the drug problem. Nice park system.
Calgary is also becoming more arts friendly with major expansions of cultural institutions underway.
Calgary is not the CowTown people make it out to be.
Calgary is a wonderful city that still retains its prarie friendliness.
When CN moved its headquarters to Calgary from Montreal 86% were happy they made the move........that says a lot especially coming from a great city like Montreal.

i like alberta cause we all hail calgary
 

·
Technocrat
Joined
·
878 Posts
^ Hehe, that makes two of us :jk:

Edmonton certainly deserves its praises. The city has come quite a long way in shedding its sleepy image, and the amount of development is damned impressive.

Calgary has done a good job in improving the innercity. Hopefully in few years, the core will be at least half as bustling at night as it is in the day.
 

·
Rock Lord
Joined
·
12,957 Posts
coldrsx said:
Alberta holds its own...Edmonton and Calgary are both progressive and young cities that try so damn hard to gain respect.

Zim Flyer- anything specific grab your attention?
I only saw a little bit one was the Stadium and the other was your Provincial parliament.

From what I have seen Canada has some great Provincial Parliament's - I like my gothic architecture.

On a seperate note that picture of Banff, looks amazing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
Can never say enough good things about the province of Alberta and those wonderful cities Edmonton and Calgary. Wish Calgary would do a little more for itself in terms of classy looking buildings but then again, WHAT A SKYLINE !

Great place no matter what...never buy into the "*******, country hick" crap. Simply isn't true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,545 Posts
I appreciate Alberta because they give me good steaks. I also appreciate Quebec as well since they give me good Montreal steak spice.
 
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Top