Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
10th February 2008
60,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken fron Manchester Confidential. (should interest Longy)

Briton’s Unprotected

THE BRITON’S Protection, behind the Bridgewater Hall, is one of Manchester’s finest and most popular pubs. Metier is a developer which owns land on either side and wants to put the pub on a concrete raft and shift it four metres to the east to fit against the wall of Jurys Inn. Of course the Briton’s Protection is listed and nobody but the developer wants this to happen. Or maybe not. It appears the Council are keen to have another tower here to mark the ‘gateway’ to the city from Princess Parkway – see the pic we managed to get hold of below. Sleuth hears on the QT that the Planning Department has indicated to the developer that they would look favourably on the proposal. This despite the storm of protest it has stirred up – inevitably many original features in the pub would be damaged or destroyed. As one regular told Sleuth, “It’s a pointless plan. Although if they could shift it nearer to Piccadilly Station, I suppose I wouldn’t have so far to stagger to the train.”

http://www.metier-property.com/property/ForestStreet.html

·
Shabba!
483 Posts
That render must be pretty old now as there is scaffolding all around the Hacienda apartments which have been finished for a long time.

I do quite like the proposal though. Beats haveing dead land and getting rid of more crappy advertising bill boards that are there at the moment.

·
I miss a hot dog
602 Posts
Hmm.. According to that website Meiter also developed the Jury's Inn.

Assuming they have always owned the land next door, I can't help but wonder why that silly scrap of land was left unused. I mean the idea of demolishing the Britons was always going to be unpopular. Perhaps it was an economics of 1997 vs 2007 thing. But still, to voluntarily engineer a problem that needn't have existed - strange.

Anyway jerb, I take it you didn't read the pubs clubs and restaurants thread on Friday? ;) And given that you found the website, you could have finished the job and posted the crease free image - although I assume that is the updated design? Another 60k sq ft of office space.

http://www.metier-property.com/property/AlbionStreet.html

·
10th February 2008
60,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm.. According to that website Meiter also developed the Jury's Inn.

Assuming they have always owned the land next door, I can't help but wonder why that silly scrap of land was left unused. I mean the idea of demolishing the Britons was always going to be unpopular. Perhaps it was an economics of 1997 vs 2007 thing. But still, to voluntarily engineer a problem that needn't have existed - strange.

Anyway jerb, I take it you didn't read the pubs clubs and restaurants thread on Friday? ;) And given that you found the website, you could have finished the job and posted the crease free image - although I assume that is the updated design? Another 60k sq ft of office space.

http://www.metier-property.com/property/AlbionStreet.html
Had a quick look through their website. Didn't come across that render though. Just shows how lazy I'm getting. :doh: Good spot Pots. :master:

The proposed cluster is certainly taking shape around that area of the city centre. :)

·
I miss a hot dog
602 Posts
When I posted on Friday, I didn't even bother googling for the Metier website, so we probably both deserve a paddle beating for our lackluster attitutes.

·
10th February 2008
60,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Manc Guy chips in with a couple. That's what you call teamwork. :)

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Divert life from oxford road to that crossing of whitworth street and we could have the makings of our very own shibuya square:

(Shame the screens the wrong way)

+ This + the towers next to the city road inn + the potential for a building on GMEX's carpark.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts

Apart from the funky road crossings and the huge building slap bang in the middle of the street, that's actually what this area should look like in several years time.

·
Clean-shaven and foolish
1,363 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that looks quite funky? Especially with the shiny mirrory (is that a word?) cladding...

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
I heard a bit of gossip about the car park at the back of Gmex but not sure if it is in the 'public realm'. If it is i will eloborate.

·
Clean-shaven and foolish
1,363 Posts

Taken from Property Weeks webiste.(5.1.07) Unfortunately I can't access the full article. Anyone got access to the full article?

Possible expansion plans for GMEX.

A nice extension to the back of the GMEX centre could look stunning. What's the bet that Simpson is already working on a design for the rear of the GMEX which will also complement Beetham.

Plenty of space for the expansion

Overhaul planned for Manchester’s G-Mex

Council plans expansion and announces rebranding as Manchester Central

http://www.property-week.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3079368&sectioncode=36

Full article.

Overhaul planned for Manchester’s G-Mex

Council plans expansion and announces rebranding as Manchester Central

By Daniel Thomas and Heather Greig-SmithManchester City Council is planning an overhaul of the G-Mex centre to help it to compete with other leading European conference venues.

The council has appointed architect Stephenson Bell to draw up designs for the centre, which in October hosted the Labour Party conference.

The council wants to extend the city centre venue, which comprises 134,550 sq ft (12,500 sq m) of exhibition space, an an 800-seat auditorium, offices, a two-level car park and banquet facilities for up to 5,000 people.

Early ideas include the removal of the steps at the front of the centre to expose the full arch and create a new entrance. There are also plans to create a mezzanine level in one half of the building, a move that is understood to cost at least £8m.

John Early, executive director at developer Amec and chairman of G-Mex, said several options were being considered and that a planning application could be submitted soon.

The main issue preventing a swift overhaul of the G-Mex s the problem of fitting in the construction with the conferences already scheduled for the next two years.

Early told Property Week: ‘We’ve been looking at the options since the summer to increase capacity and enhance the appearance. We have a lot of ambition but would need to phase it carefully.

‘It is not that old as a venue but we need to keep moving with the times. We want to compete against every leading European conference centre, not just those regionally or nationally.’

The G-Mex is owned by the council, which bought out partner Aviva from its 52:48 joint venture last year for more than £20m. It has been the north-west’s leading conference facility since it opened in 1986, although Liverpool’s development in the run-up to its year as European Capital of Culture in 2008 will result in rival, modern conference facilities that could challenge the G-Mex for the first time.

The news comes as the G-Mex is to be rebranded as Manchester Central, which Early said was all part of ensuring that the centre remains a leading modern facility.

A G-Mex spokesman said: ‘There are a number of ideas being looked at, not just from a branding point of view, but also to utilise the facility on a much bigger scale. These are just ideas at the moment and they are very much in development.’

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I suppose all these office towers up here make up for the loss of the windmill street tower..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts