SkyscraperCity Forum banner
101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Tax avoider
24,267 Posts
How are the tickets going for this?
Well I applied for six different sessions of athletics, with the option to go up a tier if I was unsuccessful, and got nothing, compared to Glasgow where I applied for less and went to two sessions.

·
Tax avoider
24,267 Posts
Well I applied for six different sessions of athletics, with the option to go up a tier if I was unsuccessful, and got nothing, compared to Glasgow where I applied for less and went to two sessions.
I applied for 6 events and got three.

I got the opening and closing ceremonies and some gymnastics. Overall very happy with that.
Ah, I was specifically talking about athletics, since the thread's about the Alexander Stadium - I did also apply for all sessions of the rugby sevens, and got everything apart from the final session.

·
Tax avoider
24,267 Posts
Tickets went back on sale at 08:00 this morning. After queuing I was able to pick two Cat D seats for the Saturday afternoon athletics session, but after entering my card details the website crashed, my basket was locked for two hours, and when I finally got back in all the tickets were gone! 😭

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think it is bloody brilliant after the Pandemic to have such an amazing facility. 30,000 every day will be awesome. Most of the seats have brilliant views. This is not the Olympic Games and the stadium doesn’t have to be all singing and dancing. I reckon there will be heck of an atmosphere for the athletics, the athletes will really enjoy. Especially the Welsh, English, Scottish, Irish and the nearby Island Nations Competitors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks a right mess, you can certainly tell that its only a temporary stadium.

Glad the ticket sales are doing well...lets hope the weather doesn't ruin it.:mad:
I disagree completely. When it is finished it will look bloody marvellous and will serve its purpose with aplomb! It isn’t a temporary stadium. It will have a fixed capacity of 18,000 for future Athletics meets. It has 6,000 capacity temporary stands at either end. A lot of stadiums make use of these to bolster their short term capacities for major sporting events.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
This was the Australian Stadium used in the last Commonwealth Games. Capacity was 35,000. So not too different to Birmingham. View attachment 3092393 View attachment 3092394 View attachment 3092396 View attachment 3092397
And remembering that the biggest sport in Australia - AFL (Aussie rules) is played in oval stadiums (plus cricket in summer - but the stadia are so big for the footy crowds not the cricket crowds!) so this was both reduced in capacity and converted back from an athletics stadium after the games (same as what happened with the MCG after the Comm games and will happen in Brisbane to the Gabba after the 2032 Olympics) even when it will be used week in week out with reasonably large crowds - whereas Birmingham will be getting a permanent athletics venue that will only see large capacity crowds a couple of times a year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Now complete

and it is a bloody good facility here (I live 2 miles from it) and finally a modern purpose built athletics stadium that is the right capacity.
I think it’s an awesome facility. It’s not quite complete in terms of the temporary seating is still being put in on one side. It’s bloody brilliant. And the 18,000 capacity will be perfect for the diamond league type of athletic meets.

·
Tax avoider
24,267 Posts
Ah, just saw a Facebook advert saying that tickets are still available - it turns out they are, including Cat C on the Saturday and Sunday evenings and Cat D on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but only single seats. However, the wife says she's not bothered, so I'm going. :D

101 - 120 of 130 Posts