SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Algarve, the Best Golf Destination in the World

The Algarve is the “Best Golf Destination in the World”, says Rheingolf Magazine, Germany’s Rhineland Region leading golf magazine.

During Rheingolf Show in Cologne, Germany’s leading golf magazine distinguished the Algarve as the Best Golf Destination in the World.

The announcement was made during the Show, where ATA – Associação de Turismo do Algarve – was representing the region and golf, as a product for the German market. The investments ranged 400.000 EUR, which represent about 30% of their promotional budget.

ATA put together a stand along with 6 other companies, who complemented the decoration with attractive images, of courses, beaches and other essential products of Algarve’s golf industry.

The goal was to consolidate the region as an ideal golf destination not only to the German public or industry professionals, but also on an international level.

According to the Resident, Christopher Stilwell, Algarve Golf’s president, is very pleased with the award. On one hand, it enhances the IAGTO – International Association of Golf Tour Operators – award, won last year and in 2000, and on the other hand, should help increase the number of German players that has descended over the last years.

Choose the best Hotels to discover the Best Golf Destination in the World at www.arteh-hotels.com.

About Algarve Golf

The Algarve, a mere two to three hour’s flight from most European capitals, has been a magnet to many discerning golfers for almost three decades.

Portugal’s southernmost province is justly famous for its spectacular scenery along a fabulous coastline. The main golf season is from late autumn to late spring. Winters are mild and golfers from northern European countries can enjoy warm, sunny days and keep their swings smooth at a time when their home courses are unplayable.

Be warned, however, that despite southern Portugal’s appealing sunshine statistics, rain does fall from time to time and nearly all of it during the main golfing season.

It was the legendary Henry Cotton who put the Algarve on the golf globe. In the mid-sixties, at Penina, he designed the first proper grass course. It was the first of three he designed in the Algarve, a place he loved and made his home for almost 30 years.

During the 1970’s and 1980’s and on into the first half of the 1990’s, golf courses mushroomed all along Portugal’s southern coast. Although none of the existing courses are more than 15km from the coast, the terrain varies from the steep hillsides of Parque da Floresta to the near sea-level flatlands of Vilamoura III and Salgados, which in common with Palmares, includes links holes.

The mainly arid Algarve countryside, familiar to summer visitors, gives way to verdant oasis at each of the golf complexes thanks to large, state-funded water catchments and distribution schemes, as well as private boreholes which tap into subterranean water sources for irrigation. Holes made tricky by water hazards are, therefore, not an infrequent feature on the Algarve courses.

In general, you will find that the Algarve, with its mild climate, reasonably priced restaurants, breathtaking scenery, friendly people and excellent golf courses, all combine to make it a memorable holiday.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I never had the chance to visit this region when I was in Portugal back in 2003. I went to Lisbon and Porto, and those cities left a good impression of Portugal for me. I would really like to see this region of Portugal though.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
This really makes me want to take another vacation in Portugal again. Visit Faro, and maybe head out to the Azores. Portugal is an amazing country. It is so small, but yet there is so much to it. In the winter time go skiing in the northern city of Braga, did I spell that right? And go to amazing cities like Oporto and Lisboa. Then visit the majestic south. The Azores and Madeira also look great. I wouldn't mind one bit living in that amazing piece of Europe, lol but then again I will never leave Australia.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This really makes me want to take another vacation in Portugal again. Visit Faro, and maybe head out to the Azores. Portugal is an amazing country. It is so small, but yet there is so much to it. In the winter time go skiing in the northern city of Braga, did I spell that right? And go to amazing cities like Oporto and Lisboa. Then visit the majestic south. The Azores and Madeira also look great. I wouldn't mind one bit living in that amazing piece of Europe, lol but then again I will never leave Australia.
Yes, Portugal is so little, and yet so different from north to south, west to east. I'm glad you've liked the thread, we don't usally see many australians in Portugal but you'll be welcome anytime!
And if you're up to skiing, Braga wouldn't be the best place since it has no ranches. Serra da Estrela would do, and plus it has magnificent mountain viwes.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesence
Yes, Portugal is so little, and yet so different from north to south, west to east. I'm glad you've liked the thread, we don't usally see many australians in Portugal but you'll be welcome anytime!
And if you're up to skiing, Braga wouldn't be the best place since it has no ranches. Serra da Estrela would do, and plus it has magnificent mountain viwes
I have made it a point to visit Spain and Portugal. I did so in 2003-2004. The Iberian Peninsula is a great piece of Europe. Great cities, amazing diversity, great architecture, and very friendly people. Madrid, Barcelona, Lisboa, Oporto, and Valencia were my favourite cities. And thank you, didn't realize Braga was not such a good spot for skiing. I just remember seeing mountains NE and east of the city, and I just figured it was a good spot for skiing. I plan on making a trip back soon.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts