SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
wow very nice pictures. i jsut came back from hong kong and i really miss the nightlife that lacks in sydney =( also if you go to hk againm go shopping at lagham place, mong kok. it has 15 levels of SHOPPING! [13 above ground , 2 below ground]. shoppers dream.

·
A guy who won't give up
201 Posts
哇, 你真係好心機....
影咁多相都得.....
你住邊度?

·
Banned
331 Posts
Why do most of the flat buildings in HK look scummy as hell? No wonder people tell me HK is dirty. I guess the government never bothered to renovate/demolish some of these.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ray said:
Why do most of the flat buildings in HK look scummy as hell? No wonder people tell me HK is dirty. I guess the government never bothered to renovate/demolish some of these.
booo... your one of those sterotyped people.!

actully hk govnt forces buildings to be renewed etc. if they are over 15years old (i think).

also after SARS (scary...) it is much cleaner. a now all public toilets have cleaners working in them. the streets have cleaners pciking up rubbish off the ground. hk's PT system certainly looks cleaner than any other PT in america.

·
523 Posts
Syd-Hk said:

actully hk govnt forces buildings to be renewed etc. if they are over 15years old (i think).

also after SARS (scary...) it is much cleaner. a now all public toilets have cleaners working in them. the streets have cleaners pciking up rubbish off the ground. hk's PT system certainly looks cleaner than any other PT in america.
.....which is true, those PTs in America are filled with dirty people with dirty carts and bags. Fast food shops like M and B aren't that much better either.

Anyway, those pics are stunning with a lot of effort, time, and perhaps $$$....:D

·
Banned
331 Posts
Syd-Hk said:

Heh, what kind of people? Don't get me wrong, I think, otherwise, HK looks great and deserves better. It has THE best city skyline in the world, IMO. (That's why it's been my desktop wallpaper for quite a while now)

btw, those buildings look WAY WAY older than 15 years old. If they are indeed not that old then I question a lot of the housing built in HK...

That's good that they make an effort, at least. Nothing nicer than a clean public toilet. :) When I was in Singapore, I was astonished at how spotless that city was, for the most part...and that I could take a dump in about 90% of the public restrooms they had there :lol:

·
106,031 Posts
The dirt problem is caused by the weather. Hong Kong's summers are hot, humid and long, so residues from pollution tend to stick to the buildings' exteriors. Many residential buildings are tiled, so the problem gets even worse when some of the individual tiles fall off and stains grow from the gaps.

·
Banned
331 Posts
hkskyline said:
The dirt problem is caused by the weather. Hong Kong's summers are hot, humid and long, so residues from pollution tend to stick to the buildings' exteriors. Many residential buildings are tiled, so the problem gets even worse when some of the individual tiles fall off and stains grow from the gaps.
Hey, Singapore's humid all year round too.

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
Singapore does a better job of keeping things clean than does Hong Kong. Also, Hong Kong's building codes are not being enforced strictly enough. There are many thousands of cases of illegal additions, illegal appliance placement on building exteriors, illegal exterior modifications, etc.
For poorly maintained buildings, tiles come off and soot sticks to the bare concrete facades. It sticks to tiles, too. It's fairly disgusting and really degrades urban Hong Kong's appearance.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
superchan7 said:
Singapore does a better job of keeping things clean than does Hong Kong. Also, Hong Kong's building codes are not being enforced strictly enough. There are many thousands of cases of illegal additions, illegal appliance placement on building exteriors, illegal exterior modifications, etc.
For poorly maintained buildings, tiles come off and soot sticks to the bare concrete facades. It sticks to tiles, too. It's fairly disgusting and really degrades urban Hong Kong's appearance.

I would still choose HK over Singapore any day for city lifestyle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Absolutely amazing photos. Thank you for posting.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts