Tip of the Multifoods tower, Mississippi river, and I94 on the left

Wells Fargo tower:

Pillsbury, 225 South Sixth, Hennepin County Government Center:

There's MORE!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments. I made this thread so I could have a link to all of my pics in my signature.

And I can't stand the cold either.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
What's going on behind (west) of the last picture of the Target HQ with the crane? St. Thomas?

·
Registered
415 Posts
A Great collection of views. Interesting balance of old and new, downtown corporate versus neighborhoods. My only question would be why don't you have more photos of the lakes or the riverfront. I've always felt these were the amenities that make Minneapolis such a great place to live (and make me toerate the cold weather).

PS: A word about the weather: Although it is damn cold here in January, I'd argue that we have a dry cold versus a damp cold out east. I've lived in New Jersey and spent time in Ohio, and I think 20 degrees in Mpls is the same as 30 degrees out east.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Nice set of pictures. If I had one suggestion to make is the one where it's posted with the Metrodome and St Paul skyline in background. People may see the Cedar Riverside and East Bank of UofM and think that's what St. Paul is. Maybe state St. Paul on the horizon.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Have you ever thought about doing a photo tour of Saint Paul? I think it would be rather refreshing after being bombarded with Minneapolis threads.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gaviidae said:
Have you ever thought about doing a photo tour of Saint Paul? I think it would be rather refreshing after being bombarded with Minneapolis threads.
Yeah, I'll do one this summer.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
nice pics.

-

·
Registered
181 Posts
I spent a week in Minneapolis last summer. It was warm and very muggy. I was somewhat surprised what a car town it is. Downtown, sadly, seems really screwed up with surface parking lots and garages. I could only wonder what the city must have looked like once before the wrecking ball. The area around the Metrodome, in particular, must have been something.

On the other hand, Uptown is a revelaton, a real urban neighborhood with street-front retail. The neighborhood behind it, Lake of the Isles, is about as beautiful as I've ever seen.

I also visited Mall of America which is horrifying. Lake Minnetonka was impressive, St Paul is very disappointing, although some of the downtown buildings are quite beautiful. The river and countryside are very lovely.

I don't mean to rag on Minneapolis - it's still a much better city than 95% of the other cities in America. Downtown has actual retail, and appears to be the nexus of a real music scene. I wondered if the extreme winters don't account for the need of people to drive to work. Is simply waiting for a bus in January that uncomfortable? The architecture, btw, is much better than in places like Denver or Phoenix. I want to return someday to see Pelli's library, and I hope some of those gaps in downtown's fabric will be filled.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Phoenix Ashes said:
I spent a week in Minneapolis last summer. It was warm and very muggy. I was somewhat surprised what a car town it is. Downtown, sadly, seems really screwed up with surface parking lots and garages. I could only wonder what the city must have looked like once before the wrecking ball. The area around the Metrodome, in particular, must have been something.

On the other hand, Uptown is a revelaton, a real urban neighborhood with street-front retail. The neighborhood behind it, Lake of the Isles, is about as beautiful as I've ever seen.

I also visited Mall of America which is horrifying. Lake Minnetonka was impressive, St Paul is very disappointing, although some of the downtown buildings are quite beautiful. The river and countryside are very lovely.

I don't mean to rag on Minneapolis - it's still a much better city than 95% of the other cities in America. Downtown has actual retail, and appears to be the nexus of a real music scene. I wondered if the extreme winters don't account for the need of people to drive to work. Is simply waiting for a bus in January that uncomfortable? The architecture, btw, is much better than in places like Denver or Phoenix. I want to return someday to see Pelli's library, and I hope some of those gaps in downtown's fabric will be filled.

no worries, i live in mpls and actually agree with pretty much all of your post. Downtown is better than most in this country...but that's not saying much and it has the potential to be so much better! Hopefully all the new condos will help to fill out downtown and add more vibrancy to the blighted areas.

ps. and yes, when it's 20 degrees below zero and the windchill is negative 60, it is not only unpleasent to wait for the bus, but downright dangerous! I've lived here without a car for several years now and i hate it in the winter.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Phoenix Ashes said:
I spent a week in Minneapolis last summer. It was warm and very muggy.
Lol, you should've been here last week, the humidity was gross. On Tuesday, it went from sunny to pitch black in the middle of the afternoon from a storm. I was in downtown, and I remember looking up in the sky and it looked like a scene from ghostbusters. On Thursday, it was 97 degrees and humid. Right now at 10 pm, it's 81 degrees with a 72 degree dewpoint (humid) and thunderstorms.

Here's a current shot of Minneapolis :) :

1 - 20 of 51 Posts