Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Sent from down-below. :P
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some cities with a single district that serves as THE focal area for both business and leisure activities (shopping/restaurants/nightlife...)?

So basically CBDs where 1st floors (and rooftops?) are almost exclusively restaurants, stores, clubs, etc.

Most cities I'm familiar with have a separate 'focal area' for leisure activities.

·
18,289 Posts
I would disagree. Toronto has a very broad and diverse downtown, but everything is in a little section of downtown. The business center is in the Financial District, the retail is at Dundas Square, government is at Queen's Park and whatever the area around Nathan Phillips Square is called, etc.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Toronto is a good example, good planning has made it that way. In fact most major Canadian cities are examples of that...Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver.

Also Chicago, Philly, and other major American cities. I think because North American cities developed rapidly out of "singularity" or sorts rather than developing gradually and annexing surrounding communities like European cities, there is more of a central CBD, whereas European cities tend to have several "CBDs".

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^I would have to disagree about Ottawa.

-The Byward market/Rideau area is outside of the CBD.
-Elgin street is outside (albeit it runs right next to it)
-Most places of interest on Bank St. are outside.
-Chinatown and Little Italy are well outside.

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
Toronto's downtown as a whole is extremely versatile, but I think you guys are right in saying that its not concentrated into one area. Different sections of Toronto serve different purposes and cater to specific audiences and demographics, just like you guys said.

I find Montreal's got a nice mix going on though.

·
125,535 Posts
Hong Kong's central business district is also home to a bar district, lots of residentials along the hillsides overlooking it, and a huge gathering place for Filipino maids on the weekend. It's not just busy during the work day.

·
Eat your fudge!
1,918 Posts
^^I would have to disagree about Ottawa.

-The Byward market/Rideau area is outside of the CBD.
-Elgin street is outside (albeit it runs right next to it)
-Most places of interest on Bank St. are outside.
-Chinatown and Little Italy are well outside.
What about the Holt and Renfrew on Queen, Sparks street, etc.

most blocks within the CBD have a cafe or restaurant on their first floor. Just look around.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
I would disagree. Toronto has a very broad and diverse downtown, but everything is in a little section of downtown. The business center is in the Financial District, the retail is at Dundas Square, government is at Queen's Park and whatever the area around Nathan Phillips Square is called, etc.
It depends.. I'd call "downtown" everything from the Bloor area down to the lake. It's where all the shops, cultural venues and entertainement are. Not to mention the heart of the Canadian economy.

·
Banned
192 Posts
The answer of this question is Tokyo and Osaka.
But it isn't such simplicity.
The reason is because there are a lot of big busy streets and downtowns in Tokyo.

Almost as same as the number of the station,
I am not exaggerated even if I say that there are downtowns and busy streets.
In greater Tokyo, more numbers increase.

Perhaps all world cities don't extend to a step of Greater Tokyo.

All-Purpose Downtowns
Greater Tokyo
Tokyo prefecture
Ginza and Yurakuchou and Hibiya area, Shinjuku area, Shibuya area, Nihonbashi and Tokyo station and Marunouchi area, Ikebukuro area, Harajuku and Omotesando and Aoyama area, Roppngi and Akasaka area, Ueno area, Daikanyama and Jiyugaoka area, Simokitazawa area, Kitijuji area, Machida area, Tachikawa area, Hatiouji area, Kinshicyou area,.......
Kanagawa prefecture
Yokohama station area, MM21 area, Motomachi area, SAkuragichou area, Kasawaki area.......
Saitama prefecture
Omiya area, Urawa area, Kawagoe area,......
Chiba prefecture
Chiba station area, Kashiwa area, Funabashi area, Nishifunabashi area,......

The above-mentioned town is the busy streets which can serve as all purposes. I stop it if I give it elsewhere because I am boundless.

·
17,966 Posts
Hong Kong's central business district is also home to a bar district, lots of residentials along the hillsides overlooking it, and a huge gathering place for Filipino maids on the weekend. It's not just busy during the work day.
Central is also an upscale shopping area.

·
125,535 Posts
Central is also an upscale shopping area.

So are Causeway Bay and Tsim Sha Tsui, but Central's bars and residentials are more unique, which sets it apart from other districts.

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What about the Holt and Renfrew on Queen, Sparks street, etc.

most blocks within the CBD have a cafe or restaurant on their first floor. Just look around.
Yeah they're there. I just find other places more lively on evenings and weekends.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
In Mexico City would be Chapultepec-Polanco area. This is the zone that borders the Chapultepec Park (Mexico City's Central Park). It works as a business, leisure, cultural and commercial center.

·
17,966 Posts
So are Causeway Bay and Tsim Sha Tsui, but Central's bars and residentials are more unique, which sets it apart from other districts.
Central is unique because most expats hang out there compared to other districts.

Anyway, another all-purpose downtown would be Makati in Metro Manila. It's already a city within a city.

Other than the offices housing some major corporation both local and foreign, Makati has malls that cater to all classes. Malls such as Greenbelt double as an entertainment centre at night filled with restaurants, bars and clubs.

There are also 24 hours fastfood restaurants here especially for those working in call centres.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts