SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres a list of ALL south eastern Metros, ranked by the number of Fortune 1000 companies:

1. Houston: 41
2. Dallas: 39
3. Atlanta: 26
4. Washington D.C.: 22
5. Charlotte: 14
6. Richmond: 10
7. Memphis: 9
8. Miami: 8
8. Birmingham: 8
9. Nashville: 7
10. Jacksonville: 6
10. Tampa: 6
11. San Antonio: 5
12. Oklahoma City: 4
12. Louisville: 4
12. Virginia Beach: 4
13. Austin: 3
13. New Orleans: 3
14. Knoxville: 2
14. Orlando: 2
15. Lexington: 1

Source: http://www.cincinnatiusa.org/pdf/eco/Fortune1000_Comparison.pdf

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Velvetj said:
Oh baaaaa, dude. Was this really necessary?
More necessary then sueing the schools for saying "God Bless America".

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
A lot of HQs can be very misleading. A friend of mine just moved to Atlanta and his wife works for Kimberley-Clark, the giant paper product company. They used to have their HQs in Neenah, Wisconsin, but moved about ten years ago to Dallas. He mentioned that Kimberley-Clark only has the top officers of the company in Dallas. Like the President, CEO, CFO and a few others while the rest of their management is still in Neenah, Wisconsin.

So yes Kimberley-Clark technically has its HQ in Dallas, but except for the executive suite the rest of the planning and organizing is done elsewhere.

This is not just a hit on Dallas, because many companies do the same thing.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I don't mind having this list up here. Our big brothers in Texas have the right to be proud of their numbers. However, at some point you gotta draw the line, and I think Austin/San Antonio is about as far west as we should really go in a southeastersn discussion.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I like how we include the state of Texas as in being part of the "Southeast" but not Florida, which is geographically as close as you can get to being southeastern.

That is really an interesting list though. A bit less than 1/10 of the companies are based in Texas!:eek:

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
^Are you referring to here?

Florida IS in the SE, but it also has its own forum, because that's the way people wanted it. Now that it has its own forum, merging it back would seriously tick off the Florida forumers. Believe me, I've asked about it.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I was talking about the title, how it says "All Southeastern cities", but Florida isn't listed. I understand that Florida has it's own forum though, but I don't care either way. I just find it a bit amusing.:)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
james2390 said:
I was talking about the title, how it says "All Southeastern cities", but Florida isn't listed. I understand that Florida has it's own forum though, but I don't care either way. I just find it a bit amusing.:)
Thats why I have Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Orlando in there?

hello...

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
james2390 said:
That is really an interesting list though. A bit less than 1/10 of the companies are based in Texas!:eek:
California has the most Fortune 1000 companies, and Texas is the #2.

·
UGA1
461 Posts
HoustonTexas said:
Heres a list of ALL south eastern Metros, ranked by the number of Fortune 1000 companies:

1. Houston: 41
2. Dallas: 39
3. Atlanta: 26
4. Washington D.C.: 22
5. Charlotte: 14
6. Richmond: 10
7. Memphis: 9
8. Miami: 8
8. Birmingham: 8
9. Nashville: 7
10. Jacksonville: 6
10. Tampa: 6
11. San Antonio: 5
12. Oklahoma City: 4
12. Louisville: 4
12. Virginia Beach: 4
13. Austin: 3
13. New Orleans: 3
14. Knoxville: 2
14. Orlando: 2
15. Lexington: 1

Source: http://www.cincinnatiusa.org/pdf/eco/Fortune1000_Comparison.pdf
You forgot Columbus, the city has two (AFLAC and Synovus). Also, it's hard to believe TSYS isn't on there from Columbus.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Atlman1 said:
You forgot Columbus, the city has two (AFLAC and Synovus). Also, it's hard to believe TSYS isn't on there from Columbus.
Columbus is Mid-west.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lakelander said:
Regarding Florida's cities, the numbers are off a little:

Miami has 11, Jacksonville has 8, Tampa has 7 and Orlando has 3.
I was going by city numbers, not metro.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts