Alpha Tower
Birmingham

Height: 100m
Floors: 28
Built: 1970
Architect: Richard Siefert
Developer: ATV Ltd.
Usages: Office

- Alpha Tower was constructed as part of the ATV Studios being constructed in Birmingham City Centre in 1965.

- Its architect was Richard Siefert, who designed the NatWest Tower and several other tall buildings in London.

- After the closure of the TV Studios in the 1990s, Birmingham City Council bought the tower and the building is now the main offices for the City Council.

- It was Birmingham's tallest building for 35 years until the 130m Holloway Circus Tower was completed in 2006.

·
Second Citizen
16,832 Posts
Lovely building and an interesting floor plate. One big success is the way it gently sits on a wide plaza. It could do woth a bit of a clean now and I wish they'd do something about the telecommunications cluster on top, but this remains one of my all-time favourite tall buildings in Britain 9/10 :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
My absolute favourite in the entire city (& for years to come from what I have seen) - as Brummie as the BT Tower. ... PS In case you didn't know the Alpha is a half-scale loosely designed take on the Pirelli Tower in Milan. PPS Having the huge mass of AC nextdoor will, I think, spoil Alpha's individuality.

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
9/10 - still one of my fave Brum buildings :)

For a building of its time, it has an interesting profile which - as Mercian has just said - is modelled on the Pirelli Tower in Milan. I would loved to have seen the Beta Tower come to fruition too - which was going to accompany it nearby and which would have stood another 5-8 storeys taller!

Unlike the other early 70s towers in Brum, it's a great subject for photography too cos you can get so many interesting angles from its profile and the window configurations (like zig zag effects when looking up at it - as seen in the night shot above).

·
It's Sting. So What?
33,094 Posts
9/10 alot different from some buildings in that era as it has some shape to it and not jsut a box. One of the most recognisable buildings on the skyline and soon to be dwarfed by Arena Central.

·
Registered
120 Posts
ROYAL BLUE said:
its not painted - thats the colour of the cladding - its always been white
Well I used to have a post card of the old Bull Ring centre, which featured The Rotunda, and a bare concreted Alpha Tower in the background. I wonder if it had just been built when the photograph was taken?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.