SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is the start of an urban housing boom in sprawling Lakeland?

5 story Lofts on the Park, planned for downtown

By Rachel Pleasant
The Ledger

LAKELAND -- Following in the wake of Lake Mirror Tower and Ville Sogni dei Cigni, downtown Lakeland is poised for another major residential project.

Lofts on the Park, a 24,000-square-foot, five-story project, is slated for an empty lot at 125 N. Kentucky Ave.

"This is a great project," said Jerry Herring, who is developing Lofts with partners Peter Munson and Frank Drake. "This is the most exciting thing I've done."

Marcobay Construction will begin work shortly and Herring said the building should be finished and occupied by the first quarter of 2006.

The first floor of the Lofts building will be occupied by a 4,600-square-foot restaurant.

Herring wouldn't disclose what restaurant is interested in the spot but called it a "Pan-Asian bistro."

The second and third floors of the building will be divided into eight apartments that will be 850 square feet to 950 square feet.

The fourth and fifth levels will be divided into six two-story townhouses that will be between 1,300 square feet and 1,600 square feet each.

Unlike units at Lake Mirror Tower, the Lofts will be sold, not leased.

Herring said a lot of the details are still being worked out, but he expects the smaller units will sell for about $160,000 and the larger units should be less than $300,000.

"You buy these," Herring said. "That creates stability."
http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050429/NEWS/504290386/1039

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's pics of the recently completed 76 unit Lake Mirror Tower, an adaptive re-use project around the block.

Lake Mirror Tower Welcomes its First Tenants

By Rachel Pleasant
The Ledger

LAKELAND
It's nighttime in downtown Lakeland and much of this city's skyline is dark. But not Lake Mirror Tower. Since the first tenants moved into the former Regency building last month, light spills from their bedrooms, bathrooms, living rooms and kitchens.

Inside those rooms, people are reading, cooking, talking -- living, for the first time in nearly a decade.

For full article, click on the link.
http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050403/NEWS/504030301

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hey man, thosea re some nice projects - nothing to complain about at all. Gotta remember Lakeland will be on a smaller scale than most places - but htey have the right idea.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^Its 14 units, but I guess its this small, because nobody is for sure that there's a demand for urban living in Lakeland. If this thing sells out like hotcakes, then I'm sure several more and larger projects will be on the way.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Frankly, I think that is a nice scale for Lakeland, until it fills in some of the open lots near downtown and creates a reason for something taller. That is a nice urban, pedestrain friendly design.

·
Florida
1,295 Posts
Hey, everyone has to start somewhere. It won't be too long before Lakeland gets a 10+ story building proposal. Depends on whether the community will allow it though.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Sure, it's Bay NEws 9, but so what, it keeps us informed

Lakeland goes upscale
Sunday, May 1, 2005

Caption
Lakeland city leaders said it could be the biggest development for its downtown in decades.

Last year, the Florida Tile plant closed its doors in Lakeland. But now, the vacant property may soon become a hot spot for both residential housing and commercial development.

City leaders are excited about the potential of the plant's property now that it's being torn down.

Giant equipment is taking apart the old plant, turning it into scrap metal piece by piece. When the property is cleared, there will be about 20 acres of prime real estate off of Lake Mirror that could hold hundreds of condominiums and office buildings.

"Well, I think it would be a great asset to downtown Lakeland because it's ideal for a hotel or condos or retail, or still be used for distribution or for a lot of good reasons," Tom Graham of Florida Tile said.

The real estate company marketing the property said it's already getting
Lakeland spokesman Kevin Cook compares the potential of the project to Tampa's West Shore area.
considerable interest. The city of Lakeland wants to be involved, too. It's drawing up a new master plan for Lake Mirror in hopes it spurs development on a huge tract of CSX property next door.

City of Lakeland spokesman Kevin Cook compares the potential of the area to Tampa's West Shore district.

"If we bring in multi-use here with residential and commercial, it could open up the CSX property behind us and frame our downtown with development," Cook said.

But for now, there is still lots of demolition work to be done on a plant that had been one of Lakeland's biggest employers for decades.

Florida Tile expects to have the old plant property cleared by the end of June.
http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2005/5/1/79980.html

·
Registered
116 Posts
Those are nice looking, very interesting, I might have to jump over to lakeland and take a closer look. They're more on the scale of something that I can develop (I'm still small time) :(

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^I know what you mean. I'm keeping my eye on the Lakeland area as well, since its more on my financial level as a developer.

BTW, I saw a rendering of the Florida Tile plans a couple of months ago. Unfortuantely, its quite suburban. Hopefully, the plan will change for the better.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More lofts on the way

Published Thursday, May 12, 2005
THE INSIDER

Lofty Goals

If you didn't get your deposit in fast enough to snatch up one of the 14 homes being built at Lofts on the Park in downtown Lakeland, not to worry. Developer Jerry Herring said he and his partners are already working on a second phase. That phase would have twice as many units, with great views. Herring could not disclose the location yet. If the positive response to the concept continues, there could even be a third phase.

-- Mary Toothman

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../505120368/1178

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Excellent - city livin' breakin out everywhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts