Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The credit goes to the enthusiastic forumers in the Toronto-forum.

The first one is of the new development City Place

The second one shows the massive Toronto skyline

The last one is from Lester B. Pearson International Airport. THIS IS CRAZY!

Peter K

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Alright.. PLEASE tell me where you would be able to get a shot like #1? I looked all over the place last time i was there. The only place i could get a decent skyline shot was like 5km away... and you could barely see the CN tower from that angle :(

I'm guessing you would have to go onto toronto island to be able to get that kind of a shot.. am i right?

Anyways... nice photos! The last one of the airport is pretty cool.. the airport itself is dead ugly (and old) but all the roads look crazy! :)

·
囧!
10,897 Posts
^^
Well, one should not underestimate Toronto, of course. But considering the hype it (and Chicago) gets on forums like these it's easy to have extremely high expectations when you're going there.

Don't get me wrong, Toronto is definately one of the best cities I have ever visited (top 5 probably), it's just that Copenhagen is even better. :)

As for the skylines, North American cities are generally very overrated too.

To me - this is more impressive...

...than this:

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Canadians (and especially Torontonians) are EXTREMELY proud people. They always tend to make their city/country "better looking" than it really is. Toronto is a great city no doubt like you guys are saying, especially when it comes to architecture, but to me, and apparently many other people here, it doesnt really compare either to european cities (like Copenhagen) in terms of lifestyle, livelyness, historic architecture, etc. The "feeling" of being in Toronto is also not as pleasent as in Copenhagen.

Still... you gotta love the city's skyscrapers, nature, and overall modernism :)

·
The Big Cheese
1,722 Posts
DLL_4ever said:
Canadians (and especially Torontonians) are EXTREMELY proud people. They always tend to make their city/country "better looking" than it really is. Toronto is a great city no doubt like you guys are saying, especially when it comes to architecture, but to me, and apparently many other people here, it doesnt really compare either to european cities (like Copenhagen) in terms of lifestyle, livelyness, historic architecture, etc. The "feeling" of being in Toronto is also not as pleasent as in Copenhagen.

Still... you gotta love the city's skyscrapers, nature, and overall modernism :)
i agree...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To Staff:

Definately, the skyline of Shenzhen is quite impressive - especially on the night shots. However, I have visisted both Shenzhen an Toronto and (I'm being objective) Toronto has a much nicer skyline IN MY OPINION. Regardless, the shot that you posted is VERY impressive.

In my view, Toronto and Copenhagen both have rank among the nicest cities in the world. Toronto has the third largest theater scene, it's the city in North America with the rapidest development (skyscrapers), the most multiethnic city in the world (according to the UN) etc.

:)

Peter K

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Parzival said:
Toronto, multiethnic?? Are u sarcastic or serious?? explain...
Serious... obviously. Toronto is known for being one of the most multicultural cities in the world. I wouldnt say its more multicultural than NYC though, or even London.. but.. who knows..

EDIT: Some quick facts about multiculturalism in toronto:
- Toronto is the home of more than 80 ethnic groups speaking over 100 languages. Here's a list of the most spoken languages in Toronto (excluding English).

- Only 51.4% of the entire Toronto population speak English as their mother-tongue.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
@Parzival. There are so many ethnic groups in Toronto, especially a lot of various Asian people and people of European descent, obviously.

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Parzival said:
Yea, Of course I know there are immigrants in Toronto like any other western city. but even more multi-ethnic than NYC, london, Paris or Chicago???
Torontonians claim it is the most multicultural city, but like i said earlier i dont think it is more multicultural than NYC or London. It is defidentally more multicultural than Paris though, and most likely Chicago too.

·
囧!
10,897 Posts
^^
Agreed. It's hard to top London or NYC though.

Are you sure that there are only 100 languages spoken in Toronto (considering that there are 166 spoken languages in Malmö according to the official website)?

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
staff said:
^^
Agreed. It's hard to top London or NYC though.

Are you sure that there are only 100 languages spoken in Toronto (considering that there are 166 spoken languages in Malmö according to the official website)?
166??? :eek:

Well, 100 is just what this website says. I guess it could wrong... :dunno:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.