Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may look like a village but this city has got it's city rights thousands years ago. It was the regions capital for trading and is known for it's very strategic shape.
Believe it or not, but Saddam Hussein never controlled this city during his era, although his forces mined the area around it, the city itself was never captured by Baathists.
Amedi city lies in Iraqi Kurdistan. The city is predominantly Kurdish with a small Assyrian community. It has about 6000 citizens. Infrastructure was poor but it is getting better day by day, since 1992.

Amedi is the Kurdish name, the original name of the city. 'Al-Amadiyah' is used by the Iraqi government.
Enjoy!

During winter :)

On the city

Look what Google Earth shows

Greets!

·
5,837 Posts
Wow, that's actually really cool. What a wierd spot, i never imagined that. It looks like theres only one way in and out. Thats called a mesa, right?
I'd like to see what it looks like inside the city.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
Congrats with such a nice village.

·
Banned
2,494 Posts
I was not aware of such a city in Iraq! Looks really cool.

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
well its in the federal state of Kurdistan, the best developing area of Irak...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
momochan said:
Interesting location, it's easy to defend.
Yes you're right.
See I said that Saddam never managed to capture this city.
Also it was the capital of a Kurdish emirate called Badinan in the 11th century for it's strategical place. The plateau where it is built is not straight too.

·
College Student
291 Posts
Hmm, thought it would be a little more developed considering its in the kurdistan region. Unless thats just a remote village and not a city?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts