Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
Arch(Struct) Engineer
Toasted Ravioli
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With news this week that China is starting a league, I thought we could start a thread to discuss the sport as new leagues are starting which means new venues will be hosting the sport.

Chinese sports authorities have entered into an agreement to create the first football league in the country’s history.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/499910549111865344

India/Pakistan/Sri Lanka also has a new league that debuted in 2012 with the finanical help of some former NFL players and Hollywood star Mark Walburg.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Football_League_of_India

·
Arch(Struct) Engineer
Toasted Ravioli
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An American football in Mexico:

The Estadio José Ortega Martínez is a stadium of football with capacity for 3,700 people located in Naucalpan, State of Mexico, campus Lomas Verdes Universidad del Valle de Mexico

Game between Borregos teams from Campus Ciudad de Mexico and Campus Toluca at Toluca

·
39,848 Posts
I believe Simon Fraser University in Vancouver plays American Football. They're the only team in Canada that I know of. I suppose they'd be some recreational teams here and there that do.

·
Arch(Struct) Engineer
Toasted Ravioli
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe Simon Fraser University in Vancouver plays American Football. They're the only team in Canada that I know of. I suppose they'd be some recreational teams here and there that do.
I've heard before that some high schools in western Canada play with American rules and field size too.

·
Arch(Struct) Engineer
Toasted Ravioli
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, we had NFL Europe back in the 90s and pretty much the majority of fan support (I guess) was in Germany.
Germany still has a league(GFL). The "German Bowl" had an attendance of 12,157 last year.

GFL Teams in 2014

Team City Stadium Capacity
Code:
Berlin Adler	        Berlin        Friedrich-Ludwig-Jahn      20,000
Berlin Rebels	        Berlin 	      Mommsenstadion	         15,005
Dresden Monarchs	Dresde         Heinz-Steyer-Stadion      3,000
Düsseldorf Panther	Düsseldor      Stadion des VfL Benrath   14,360
New Yorker Lions	Braunschweig  Eintracht-Stadion	         25,500
Kiel Baltic Hurricanes	Kiel	        Kilia-Stadion	         3,000
Cologne Falcons	        Cologne	      Südstadion	         12,000
Allgäu Comets	        Kempten	      Illerstadion	         4,500
Franken Knights     	Rothenburg     Städtisches Stadion	 3,500
Marburg Mercenaries	Marburg	       Georg-Gaßmann-Stadion     12,000
Munich Cowboys          Munich	       Dantestadion	         18,000
Rhein-Neckar Bandits	Mannheim       	MTG-Stadion	         6,000
Saarland Hurricanes	Saarbrücken	Ludwigsparkstadion       35,303
Schwäbisch Hall UnicornsSchwäbisch Hall 	Hagenbachstadion  2,200
Stuttgart Scorpions	Stuttgart        Gazi-Stadion auf der Waldau 12,000

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
It would make more sense from the fan's perspective to have a bigger presence there, but there's a handful of NFL owners that seem desperate to move a team (not theirs) to London to open up the UK market.

·
Registered
12,659 Posts
Probably more to do with the business links between the NFL, Owners and New York with London.

As far as onfield merit then any European NFL fixtures should be held in Germany.
It's far more than that.

While Germany has maintained some sort of an American Football league over the years, it lacks a city of London's size, status and international draw. That's not a criticism (Germany has other strengths). Merely a fact. As far as the NFL (and Americans generally) are concerned, the image and aura of London, therefore, is not one with which any German city can compete. Even Berlin. And if the NFL is to take the controversial step to expand into Europe, then it will want that to be in the biggest and most appropriate city - at least for its first European franchise.

London is the obvious destination - and not just because it is already host to two or three sold out regular season games every year. Along with New York, London is one of only two Alpha++ cities in the world. It is home to many blue chip, world class companies - especially in the financial sector - and so has a ready supply of potential corporate clients to take up those all important hospitality packages.

London is a hugely multicultural and multinational city. So although its natives are already obsessed by traditional English sports, there is more than enough room for a newcomer. The NFL is tailor made for London, with its huge (and growing), diverse population and its first class transport links.

Lastly, of course - and especially in light of the fact that the vast majority of the players for any European NFL franchise would be Americans - the importance of the common language and somewhat common culture of U.S.A and the U.K cannot be overestimated.

·
39,848 Posts
I've heard before that some high schools in western Canada play with American rules and field size too.
Really? That's just bizarre if it's true. They'd be practically no one to play against. If they did find another high school that fielded a team playing 4 down football they'd have to travel hundreds of km to get there. It also makes little sense in that all Canadian universities and colleges play Canadian Football only. Then there's the CFL. They'd be doing these kids a huge disservice changing to 4 down football.

Toronto is the only place in the country that seems intent on ditching Canadian Football, but even there I've never seen 4 down football except for the occasional Bills game at Skydome. It's more a case of Toronto divorcing itself of football altogether in favour of soccer, rugby, and now cricket. Toronto is majority foreign born and they're abandoning domestic sports in droves opting for sports from their home nations. Basketball is the only domestic sport not seeing a drop.

·
Arch(Struct) Engineer
Toasted Ravioli
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Most Canadian schools use*Canadian football*rules adapted for the high school game. The exception is*British Columbia, which uses NFHS rules as used in the United States.[4]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_school_football

Really? That's just bizarre if it's true. They'd be practically no one to play against. If they did find another high school that fielded a team playing 4 down football they'd have to travel hundreds of km to get there. It also makes little sense in that all Canadian universities and colleges play Canadian Football only. Then there's the CFL. They'd be doing these kids a huge disservice changing to 4 down football.

Toronto is the only place in the country that seems intent on ditching Canadian Football, but even there I've never seen 4 down football except for the occasional Bills game at Skydome. It's more a case of Toronto divorcing itself of football altogether in favour of soccer, rugby, and now cricket. Toronto is majority foreign born and they're abandoning domestic sports in droves opting for sports from their home nations. Basketball is the only domestic sport not seeing a drop.
According to Wikipedia, British Columbia uses US rules

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
JimB has it about right. Shad Khan (owner of the Jags) has argued that London is THE tastemaker for India, Pakistan and the middle east, and a leading taster maker for the rest of Asia and Africa. He would aim the Jags merchandising at the Asians in London, hoping that this will draw in the crowds in their original home countries. His revenue projections (if accurate) would make the Jags BY FAR the most valuable football team.

Selling this scenario has been the thrust of his marketing efforts with Goodell and the NFL. When Goodell expresses surprise at how well it has worked out, he is being sincere; most NFL people were expecting much less just a few years back. He is now being quoted as saying the NFL COULD be in London in 5 years.

Attendance figures indicate that a lot of fans for the games in London are from Scandinavia and Germany. The rumor is that the 2nd team goes to London, but the next two are in Germany (presumably Berlin and Frankfurt, but who knows?).

Arguing in Germany's favor are its high income levels. As income levels increase, other sports are able to take a hunk of the available discretionary income or to replace historic sports.

1 - 20 of 341 Posts