SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the photos were taken from flickr and a copyright of their respective owners.

This is Manchester, England.

Post pics of other cities if you like :)

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
koolkid said:
The pictures look great but I think you got it all wrong. Remember, the U.S was the colony, not Britain.
; )
True, so New York looks like Manchester :D

Birmingham in England is definitely the most american-looking city in Europe.
It depends what kind of American city you're talking about. it is American in that it's very open and that it's got higways runnig through its centre, but there are other 'types', as it were, of American city. There's no way that Birmingham is like New York For example. But there are other American cities in shares appearances with.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the photos aswell, those towers in Leeuwarden are awesome.

·
Indie Bean
2,649 Posts
I don't understand this thread. Nothing is distinctly American about any of these pictures.

But what the heck, I vote for Frankfurt!

·
Registered
28 Posts
American looking cities, outside of the US?

Well, obviously, people will gonna post Canadian cities where AMERICAN culture and CANADIAN Culture are ALIKE.

You shouldve said "American looking cities, outside of NORTH AMERICA"

·
Indie Bean
2,649 Posts
Skyscraperama said:
American looking cities, outside of the US?

Well, obviously, people will gonna post Canadian cities where AMERICAN culture and CANADIAN Culture are ALIKE.

You shouldve said "American looking cities, outside of NORTH AMERICA"
Really? I didn't know that American cities look Canadian.

·
Watch my Chops
6,033 Posts
Is there a text book to an american city and it's looks. Nope.

Point the colonials of america forget there colonial, australian cities look less english than american cities. It's all the sun.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Calgary and Perth are the most American cities outside of the US. Calgary is a bit like Denver, while Perth looks like a Californian city. Also, the people in Perth have got an American accent, unlike the Australians living in East Coast cities.

·
Registered
232 Posts
^ I read that in a travel report of a New Yorker who visited Australia and said that Perth much reminded him of America and that the people there tend to have a more American accent.

·
Banned
20 Posts
It depends which cities you mean, as there's a lot of difference between the cities of the NY, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington etc and the cities of say California, Florida or Texas.

US cities tend to be very car orientated, particuarly the more modern ones, and in this respect places like Milton Keynes with it's boring boulevards, Birmingham and many of the new towns of Germany and other European Countries spring to mind.

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
Interesting. Surely, there are similarities between other former English colonies' cities, like Perth, Johannesburg and Houston. Those shots from Manchester are actually quite impressive. Looks New Yorkish.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Citystyle said:
Is there a text book to an american city and it's looks. Nope.

Point the colonials of america forget there colonial, australian cities look less english than american cities. It's all the sun.
I realise this. I was looking for cities that have general american feel about them. Whether it be californian or new yorkish.

But of course the former british colonies will always look similar to each other. But it's nice to see the pics in any case.

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
I'm thinking maybe Frankfurt or pretty much any Australian city. Canadian cities
obviously, but that is because Canada and the USA share the same history and
landmass. I didn't find Manchester to look anything like an American city, and
that Dutch city only for the office towers, not the rest.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts