SkyscraperCity Forum banner

What grade would you give America's infrastructure?

• A

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • B

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • C

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • D

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • F

Votes: 3 4.8%

America's Infrastucture

7237 Views 54 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  klamedia
What grade would you give America's infrastructure?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBSPcIGGcIc
I'm going to go with a D.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
B. Not as bad as the stories make it out to be but not as good as it could be.
It really depends on what state you are in as some states are better than others in maintence.

That being said I have to agree with keopera91 and give it a D, because I have not seen an equivalent of the Minneapolis bridge colapse occur in any other developed country (except for Canada).
Are we talkin transportation infrastructure? Utilities? Buildings?

You can't rate different types of infrastructure in one giant encompassing letter grade.

But I will admit I see a lot of the crumbling shown in that video far too often.

Perhaps its that we have become too far-flung, and simply abandon certain areas that were once vibrant back in the 70s and 80s.
See less See more
C in terms of function. Downgrated for having too little local/national transit.

C- in terms of repair. It's a mix from excellent to atrocious. There's a lot of A/B, but a scandalus amount of D/F.

Much of it is the willingness of locals in a given area to pay taxes for their country. Some people are "what can my country do for my wallet" and others are more patriotic.

I'm proud of my city. We tax ourselves (actually not that high) enough to maintain our infrastructure reasonbly well. At the metro level, $20 billion in local transit is voter-approved, not including what's already completed. We might (if they're not sidetracked) replace two highways that are falling down, with more city-friendly formats. Within the city limits, we're near the end of a program that is renovating/replacing/expanding every library and fire station, and a series of school renovations/replacements/upgrades is something like $1.5 billion (??) competed or voter-approved so far. Our colleges and hospitals have almost universally expanded and/or extensively renovated recently. In particular, the University of Washington is always building or renovating a few buildings. We've supported public parks extensively. Public housing has a levy around $16m(?) per year that mostly leverages non-profit housing providers with great success since the early 1990s(?).

On the down side, we're starting that transit program with very little current rail, and many streets within the city limits (most/all due to annexations) don't have sidewalks. And a fair amount of what we have is still in bad repair.
See less See more
In Buffalo, I would perhaps rank it to B. This is the result of a dropping population. ;)

Road and rail infrastructure is in decent shape and not a problem, I have concerns for the aging electrical and water infrastructure instead.

On a national scale, I would say C and dropping. We still have time to change, thankfully the governments are starting to wake up.
See less See more
I voted D

For a country that likes to think of itself as model for the rest of the developed world to look up to, our infrastructure, particularly concerning transportation, is laughable. After WWII we basically went "all in" towards a transportation system that solely depends on automobiles. Now, we're stuck with an aging interstate highway system and a population that is largely not willing to pay for transportation upgrades let alone basic maintenance. Mass transit across the country is terrible and our lack of any high-speed rail is atrocious. Our economy is stuck in neutral as long as we have sub-par infrastructure.
See less See more
I also voted D. Dubya knocked it down form a C+ at the time but the tax cuts and budget slashing in a time of two wars of Choice that has cost over 3 Trillon dollars could have and should have been better used to repair our ageing infrastructure. Obama can bring it up to a D+ to a C if he can keep the Senate and not lose the house by more than a few congressmen.

The funny thing about the GOP voting against the stimulas grants and Tiger funds were more than willing to take the fed dollars an claim them as their own efforts to their voters. I would like to see every congressman that votes against infrustucture stimulus to be locked out of the federal spending. Then the hypocritic efforts of trying to do everything in their power to destroy and weaken the country in a Bush recession/depression, for their own goal of retacking the WH in 2012 should reap what they sow. Some of you were too young to remember when Clinton had budget surpluses that in a very short time frame got reveresed by W's perverse tax give away to the top 1%'ers in income. W and his neocons have screwed this great Union of ours for at least 2 generations.

IMO the he was the worst and most ignorant POTUS in the history of our country. Now imagine a Palin that is even less intelligent than this clown... The Union would totally collapse and be a complete failure and expose the voting public as the most uneducated and ignorant voting populace in the world. Thankfully if she is nominated to the joy of the tea pon party she would lose in a wrought because after just a few TV debates it would show how shallow, vapid, well just plain stupid that she could not lead and be a national disaster. My glass is more than half full when her true colors show. As far as the infrastructure of this country it is bad and only would get worse under any GOP candidate out there.
See less See more
It's likely to get worse as states and cities deal with shrinking budgets and hard choices where to spend the money. Since the federal government can simply keep printing money and they have the Highway Trust Fund, their portion of funding probably won't get the snip so interstates and US highways should remain in decent condition. I still think that overall we're in good shape but don't expect any sexy Millau Viaducts to get built here anytime soon... :S
See less See more
Compared to the rest of the world, a solid B+ or A-. Compared to other first world countries, maybe a C+.

Our infrastructure is getting old fast and it's not as diversified while other third-world countries are building new infrastructure and other first-world countries have been doing a pretty good job at innovation, keeping their infrastructure updated and diversified.

It makes sense, though. After all, a lot of countries are barely building infrastructure that we already had 60 years ago.
See less See more
I voted for a B in general, but as a state level I'd give a D to Florida. :eek:hno:
One of the best in the US??? Have u ever been here? I just moved to Miami, and i doubt Florida has one of the best roads in the U.S. given the fact that you have to pay everytime you wanna go to Hollywood, Miami Beach, I mean, come on, they're charging like 2 or 3 times in a single way and they don't even maintained its highways, all dirty and old. No, they need an urgent upgrade!, immediately!. I drove from San Diego to Miami and the best roads were from California, Texas and North[en] Florida, except that in CA or TX they're FREE.
See less See more
One of the best in the US??? Have u ever been here? I just moved to Miami, and i doubt Florida has one of the best roads in the U.S. given the fact that you have to pay everytime you wanna go to Hollywood, Miami Beach, I mean, come on, they're charging like 2 or 3 times in a single way and they don't even maintained its highways, all dirty and old. No, they need an urgent upgrade!, immediately!. I drove from San Diego to Miami and the best roads were from California, Texas and North[en] Florida, except that in CA or TX they're FREE.
As a matter of fact I have been there. Road quality in Florida is good compared with many US states, especially compared with Illinois, Oklahoma, Louisiana, or many Northeast states.

Even Overdrive Magazine ranked Florida very higly for having good roads.
http://www.overdriveonline.com/keystone-drama/
See less See more
I still can't believe it, I've been from San Diego to San Francisco and from Key West, FL to Pensacola, FL and there's NO Way Florida has better highways, unless they're talking about traffic, which again, Florida is even worst with uneducated drivers yelling at you every time while you're waiting at a red light!!
See less See more
Northern California gets an F from me. Go ahead, ask me about the levees. I could practically write a book.
I still can't believe it, I've been from San Diego to San Francisco and from Key West, FL to Pensacola, FL and there's NO Way Florida has better highways, unless they're talking about traffic, which again, Florida is even worst with uneducated drivers yelling at you every time while you're waiting at a red light!!
I agree with you 100000000000000%

Florida only the northern part has good highways, and let's not even talk about polite drivers.
Florida always ranks first, when it comes to rude and agressive drivers.

I used to live in Miami, and I don't even want to go back to visit the city NEVER AGAIN.
See less See more
Florida is definitely in the D category. This state is very autocentric and yet has many areas of its highway system behind when it comes to improvements and upgrades. And besides Miami, every other city's mass transit system ranks below a C. This state is very behind.
The roads in my state are generally very good. Texas roads are usually excellent. Where there are rough spots, maintenance is scheduled. It works in cycles depending on the materials used and the climate conditions. After a rough, snowy winter, does anyone expect perfect roads without potholes? After a hot dry summer, does anyone expect smooth, fresh pavement? New Mexico spent well over $2 billion on roads over the last 5 years. Other states spent an equally large amount on road maintenance. If your state just gave up on any maintenance or improvements, you need to deal with that at the ballot box.

As to mass transit, the funding formulas require a large federal component that's been a big pinata for decades in Congress. It's a battle royal to get federal money and then to get the state component. Albuquerque got a federal transit allotment of over half a billion dollars but guess what? The state couldn't come through on its end of the deal, and the city couldn't decide how to spend the money. So we got nothing. It's not because "America sucks" and won't ever invest in transit systems. But it could certainly be a lot easier if we'd elect non-primates in Congress.
See less See more
B.

It's not as bad as some people or the media make it out to be.

I understand there are plenty of areas that are terrible but really for as vast of a system we have, it's not bad. Now if we are talking about substance (rail in particular) we have exactly what we need.

Oklahoma though, I'd give a D and on a generous day and with all the fixes and improvements going on the past year that will be continuing for the years to come, I'd give a C+.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.