Skyscraper City Forum banner

What are the top 5 most pedestrian and transit friendly cities in the U.S.?

• Boston

Votes: 32 50.0%
  • NYC

Votes: 47 73.4%
  • Philadelphia

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • D.C.

Votes: 30 46.9%
  • Chicago

Votes: 43 67.2%
  • Portland, OR

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • San Francisco

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • Seattle

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Baltimore

Votes: 4 6.3%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which five U.S. cities are the most pedestrian and transit friendly (Overall, each city must have these qualities throughout the municipality and not just the city center)?

·
Registered
571 Posts
It'd be foolish to not put Boston or NYC in your top 5....there's several choices aside from them (Chi, Philly, DC, SF to name a few). But I just realized the other day after hanging around at my friends new apartment in Boston that everything really is just so incredibly ped-friendly. Along with that we have a fantastic transit system...it's tough to find a better system in the country (aside from NYC). NYC is NYC so they're an obvious choice for being both ped-friendly and transity-friendly.

·
Kulia I Ka Nu'u
954 Posts
Why is San Francisco on the list? Everyone here hates the muni, heck my college professors rather walk than take the muni. Muni (san francisco mass transit system) is unreliable and the buses/trolley buses are filthy. The muni drivers are the most unfriendly people you ever meet and some of them take a lunch break in a middle of a route (you could go on youtube to also check this out).

America's best transit system you say? Honolulu Hawaii takes the cake, 10 folds. American Public Transportation Association has awarded Honolulu's transit with the most rewards. For a city of 390,000 people, there are about 550 buses, a lot of them are already hybrid, all buses are discontinued after 5 years or 200,000 miles of services so buses are in top shape. Not to mention all buses are equipped with GPS (tells you what stop is next and other landmarks around the area such as malls, civic buildings etc..) and they actually run on a time schedule unlike other transits like Muni. The bus part about Honolulu's buses are they are actually very clean, fully air conditioned, almost no graffiti. Also Honolulu buses are heavily modify versions of Gilligs/New Flyer buses, and unlike other transits I have rode on Oakland's AC/ SF Muni etc/ San Mateo's SamTrans.. they use the buses as "is" conditioned that the manufacturers sent them. The city right now is planning a subway/monorail mass transit system that connects Honolulu to Kapolei (nick named the second city).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Public_Transportation_Association

·
Kulia I Ka Nu'u
954 Posts
^^ Its the truth, search it up and do research. For starters, click on my wikipedia link.

·
Registered
10 Posts
^:lol:

Just give it up already, will ya?
I'm glad he is enthusiastic about a city. It doesn't really bother me. Most people do it also. Mostly Chicago, New York and L.A. forumers, which they have a right to be.

Anyway, Honolulu is also thinking about putting WiFi in the buses.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
^^ Its the truth, search it up and do research. For starters, click on my wikipedia link.
^San Francisco is a very pedestrian and transit-friendly city.

Honolulu isn't really a pedestrian friendly city, much less a transit-friendly city.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
I'm glad he is enthusiastic about a city. It doesn't really bother me. Most people do it also. Mostly Chicago, New York and L.A. forumers, which they have a right to be.

Anyway, Honolulu is also thinking about putting WiFi in the buses.
I encourage enthusiasm and civic pride toward one's city. But icracked's posts are borderline ludicrious. It's the same old routine with him. Bash San Francisco and praise Honolulu. Honolulu with the best mass transit system in the country? Uh, no. I have nothing against him being proud about his city, but not to the point where he makes exaggerated statements such as that.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Sorry, I have to go with six:
New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, San Francisco.

Each uses extensive rapid transit. Each also uses commuter rail. Each has a highly centralized, extensive downtown.

IMHO, there would be a large gap between these six and the next tier (Baltimore, Atlanta, Cleveland, LA, St. Louis, Dallas, etc.).

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
Sorry, I have to go with six:
New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, San Francisco.
yep. those are the 6 i voted for as well. NYC is in a league all its own. then chicago, philly, boston, DC, and san fran make up the second tier and you really have to include all 5 of them.

·
18,271 Posts
I don't see how Philadelphia can be in the top 5. SEPTA is very unreliable and limited. Most people that I know in the Philadelphia area think that SEPTA is bad, even if they're not a "cars=bad, public transportation=good" type of person. The problems with SEPTA form a decent list: service ends at midnight, so bar patrons get stuck having to leave early or take a taxi; limited routes, which means that several areas that need service don't get it, and also that current routes are overwhelmed resulting in trolleys and buses driving past patrons because the vehicle is past capacity; and so on.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
I don't see how Philadelphia can be in the top 5. SEPTA is very unreliable and limited. Most people that I know in the Philadelphia area think that SEPTA is bad, even if they're not a "cars=bad, public transportation=good" type of person. The problems with SEPTA form a decent list: service ends at midnight, so bar patrons get stuck having to leave early or take a taxi; limited routes, which means that several areas that need service don't get it, and also that current routes are overwhelmed resulting in trolleys and buses driving past patrons because the vehicle is past capacity; and so on.
Good Lord! The Philly boo birds even boo local mass transit? And I thought the Phils, Eagles, Sixers, and Santa Claus had problems!:banana:

·
Kulia I Ka Nu'u
954 Posts
I encourage enthusiasm and civic pride toward one's city. But icracked's posts are borderline ludicrious. It's the same old routine with him. Bash San Francisco and praise Honolulu. Honolulu with the best mass transit system in the country? Uh, no. I have nothing against him being proud about his city, but not to the point where he makes exaggerated statements such as that.
^^ You got to be kidding me if your think the Muni system is decent. Seriously. Ask any other San Franciscan what they think about Muni. The only decent route is the number 9 San Bruno IMO....which comes highly offend. The light-rail J-K-M-L-T are like ghosts! They don't and the rest of the muni system come on a fix schedule. And yes, Honolulu does have the best mass transit system in the country, just Google for yourself (honolulu america's best transit system) or better, go to Honolulu sometime this year like I'm planning to. Next question is why would I talk about San Francisco? Well maybe because I LIVE here so I know the inside and outs of the transit systems. Should I talk about a city let's say, Salt Lake City? A city I have no idea about..no.

And again visit the sites that I recommended.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hands down -NYC for transit. I don't know if New York is the most pedestrain friendliest of places.

DC is second for transit and walkability. The Metro is a beast.
Chicago/Boston tie
SF is a great pedestrian city but I don't know about the transit??

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
Honestly, only one transit friendly: New York. I suppose they all can be pedestrian friendly.

The systems even in larger American cities are a joke compared to the European systems.

·
Downtown San Jose
1,445 Posts
^:lol:

Just give it up already, will ya?
hahaha....hahaha. it makes sense though, the worlds best transit system, in the world's most predestrian friendly city, which just happens to have the world's best skyline. i've also read that hawaiians have the largest head circumference in the world. can anyone verify this?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Since I live in Seattle and was carless for 2 years Seattle would be one of the five. So easy to get around town.

The others:
San Francisco
New York
D.C.
Portland

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
America's best transit system you say? Honolulu Hawaii takes the cake, 10 folds. American Public Transportation Association has awarded Honolulu's transit with the most rewards. For a city of 390,000 people, there are about 550 buses, a lot of them are already hybrid, all buses are discontinued after 5 years or 200,000 miles of services so buses are in top shape. Not to mention all buses are equipped with GPS (tells you what stop is next and other landmarks around the area such as malls, civic buildings etc..) and they actually run on a time schedule unlike other transits like Muni. The bus part about Honolulu's buses are they are actually very clean, fully air conditioned, almost no graffiti. Also Honolulu buses are heavily modify versions of Gilligs/New Flyer buses, and unlike other transits I have rode on Oakland's AC/ SF Muni etc/ San Mateo's SamTrans.. they use the buses as "is" conditioned that the manufacturers sent them. The city right now is planning a subway/monorail mass transit system that connects Honolulu to Kapolei (nick named the second city).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Public_Transportation_Association
Uhhhhhuh. Louisville's transit is by no means excellent, but it has all of those features in bold, including, to my knowledge, no graffiti at all. I highly doubt that "Honolulu Hawaii takes the cake, 10 folds." I'm sure its good, but, I mean.. Let's not forget about the continental USA.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts