SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If what is seen here is the pinnacle of American life, which it is -regarded by many, then I'm taking a time machine back to the dark ages. These were all taken last week above east Jackson County Missouri, a suburban area of Kansas City Missouri.

To start off, a residential pod with the cliched curvilinear streets, adjacent to a suburban collector road:

Below: It's not just that they all look the same, it's that the greater design context is so low quality:

Compulsory car dependency, as mandated by the structuring and design of the built environment:

Suburban arterial road and accompanying accessories:

This is how commerce and daily business is handled in contemporary America - motoring up and down arterial roads lined with all the revolting accessories of suburbia such as big box emporia, parking lots, and interminable traffic:

More houses:

This is the idiotic way Kansas City has structured its own sports stadia:

Dramamine, anyone?

This is what we call "low density."

More arterial road idiocy:

The crudscape surrounding Interstate 70:

Everything that is wrong with America can be evinced from this image:

It looks like the Homeowners Association needs to repave the cul-de-sac:

The end. I am now accepting donations for a lobotomy.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Forget the lobotomy, just put a bullet in your brain. You sound like an angry eco-terrorist. Kill yourself before I hear about you going on a killing spree against women and children in the suburbs. :bash:

<-- Lives in a low density development and doesn't give 2 shits what you think.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paddington said:
Forget the lobotomy, just put a bullet in your brain. You sound like an angry eco-terrorist. Kill yourself before I hear about you going on a killing spree against women and children in the suburbs. :bash:

<-- Lives in a low density development and doesn't give 2 shits what you think.
Struck a nerve, did I?

Blow me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Stupid America, Why can't you get your sh*t together! (extreme sarcasm)

Brilliant post Tosspot (again, extreme sarcasm).

·
Registered
234 Posts
I hate suburbia just as much as you do, Tosspot, but I think we would all be enriched if you chose to replace your expressions of revulsion with actual comments. For example, you find the stadium parking lots "idiotic". How so? What would you have done differently.

/

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yuval said:
I hate suburbia just as much as you do, Tosspot, but I think we would all be enriched if you chose to replace your expressions of revulsion with actual comments. For example, you find the stadium parking lots "idiotic". How so? What would you have done differently.

/
The whole deal with the Kansas City stadiums is a complex ordeal. Recently the idea to build a downtown baseball stadium was killed when the moronic voting majority decided to spend as much money renovating the current stadium which is out in the middle of nowhere as we would have paid for a new downtown stadium that would have actually interacted with the urban environment of downtown and added to critical mass of attractions.

·
I Love You... Soraia
27,934 Posts
i ask my self... what the f*ck do the people does in these suburbs.. not a bar, a cinema, a nightclub, a shopping in a area of kilometers...

if you dont have a car, you're f*cked (kids don't have car, so, kids go outside only with papa's and mommy :|)

for the ones who have car... they probably spend a lot in gasoline or gas every f*ckin day :|

i think it's... boring! :|

btw: seen by air, its cute... but the people don't live in air... so... :lol:

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
George W. Bush said:
The funny thing is that I can't see a single human being on the pics ...
There are so many cars running on the highways - must be driven by human being - joking !

·
Registered
81 Posts
some houses are kinda nice, especially those lakeside ones, but are hedges not known in suburbia? it would really annoy me if the whole world could look in my backyard...
i also wondered that there are no single flowerbeds or vegetable patches, gardening doesn't seem to be very popular in america, does it?

·
I Love You... Soraia
27,934 Posts
because USA want to concentrate all the services in the downtown to build skyscrapers.... and then there are no more services to cover service buildings.. so.. american cities basically are a little (but very impressive and interesting) downtown... with a huge, boring and disgusting suburb... look at los angeles, the biggest "suburb" in the world :lol:

·
Banned
30 Posts
Daniel_Portugal said:
because USA want to concentrate all the services in the downtown to build skyscrapers.... and then there are no more services to cover service buildings.. so.. american cities basically are a little (but very impressive and interesting) downtown... with a huge, boring and disgusting suburb... look at los angeles, the biggest "suburb" in the world :lol:
Yeah.....you sound a little naive.... :dunno:

·
I Love You... Soraia
27,934 Posts
LOL! not naive friend... i'm "designing" a caricature of USA :D i hope george bush dont bomb portugal because of that :lol: ahahahahaha (another caricature :D i'm just joking :lol: )

i just dont like suburbs like that ;) do you? :D

btw: i said los angeles as an example, but in fact los angeles is one of my favourite north american cities, not the gigantic suburb.. but the coastal line, the hills, and downtown :)

·
Banned
30 Posts
because USA want to concentrate all the services in the downtown to build skyscrapers.... and then there are no more services to cover service buildings.. so.. american cities basically are a little (but very impressive and interesting) downtown...
That's what I was referring to, and I don't mind your faulty vignette;)

1 - 20 of 169 Posts