SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some more LA for you pleasure.

This time up:

Little Tokyo: The former hive of Japanese activity that has since been surrendered to hipsters and artists.

Koreatown: Somewhat of a paradox unique to Los Angeles, for it has a Hispanic majority population. This once neglected nabe is showing signs of light amidst an influx of struggling actors, yuppies, hipsters and overseas Koreans (the latter having it's presence felt in the financial sector).

East Hollywood: Here we see what the "American Dream" looks like, a nabe that prospered on false promises and once-ambitious dreams.

+ the adjacent neighborhoods that have an endless supply of Art-Deco buildings that are in various stages of neglect (ranging from lofts to rehab homes to burnt out shells).

+ A tad-bit of Downtown, though not the focus of this thread, this boomtown makes a few cameos.

a quickr pickr post

·
BANGED
772 Posts
The thing about LA, although I think someone may rebut, is that although Southern California is probably one of the most multicultural regions in the world, the city is actually very segregated compared to other areas. I mean, there are this ethnic towns here and there and not many of them mix with one another.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
^ Yeah, I was just going to say that. If there's one positive thing about LA's racial segregation, it's that it creates for a more varied urban landscape. I will find Armenians in East Hollywood, Koreans in Koreatown, Jewish in the Fairfax District, Iranians in Westwood, Ethiopians in the Crenshaw District, Mexicans in Boyle Heights, Filipinos in Echo Park, Indians in Artesia, and Russians in West Hollywood. In NYC, there's more of a racial mix.

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
The boy King​
June 2, 2008​
Los Angeles- More social commentary than anything, young Devon's work harkens back to an earlier time in this country's history; a photographic Kerouac, if you will.
The compositions are, more often than not, perfect, and the social commentary is not left to the visual alone. There's also the biting text that gnaws at one's suburban sensibility- daring the reader as well as the viewer! Visit this young star's blog and you'll see. There's gold beneath them thar hills. Fresh, Golden Perspective!​
Though he has threatened to leave his SSC home as of late, still he offers up another plate of daring do. Something we've not yet seen as a species! I happen upon his latest, eyes clenched!​
Yet, there it was before me. Unfolding in the simplest of form, then fooling the mind as well as the eye! For these visuals offer more than just a mere 1000 words worth. These are perfectly imperfect. Masterpieces!​
I'll just offer you a few of my impressions, an amateur attempt to define the devine! I'll keep it short but sweet..​
King captures art in the everyday. I don't think Pollock would have done this justice. A much more visually dynamic work than Jackson ever wrought. Kudos, King!​
Here in L. A., trees lead the way​
As nygirl would say "There she is! The Observatory lurks in the background of the city in its most modern version!" Great catch, King!​
Chin pubes!​
A young, Asian couple making the most of a beautiful day!​
A young, lesbian couple, who just doesn't get it! (It is a wonder to the international community why KingoftheHill hasn't been killed yet. His work is avant garde yes but verging on the guerilla. We pray for his well being)​
Nice bones!​
Have you seen a better picture of The Wiltern?​
Now for the art! An elderly Korean couple make their way out of the picture- stage left, as the equally elderly palms lead the eye along the Versailles Apartments in Koreatown towards the 1930's art deco building- stage right! The eye never stops moving in and out of the picture. Marvelous composition, suitable for professional framing!​
What it's all about for us straight guys, captured by a loving eye and FOREVER as well.​
Enough! The King is dead! Long live the KING!​
The Milquetimes​

·
de abajo el puente
1,527 Posts
:bow:

·
de abajo el puente
1,527 Posts
:bow:

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
I also want to state that I look for attention myself from time to time. Whenever I get down there I'll take some pictures myself, but this is King's work I'm pointing out here, and I'll ride his coattails anytime :)

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
I won't comment just yet but of course "king" they are always good. Have you been over to the national/international threads yet and posted LA pictures? If you haven't and before you do please let us who love your photos know that you've posted some up over there. These are not the stupid run of the mill pictures that Chicago or SF posters put up brown nosing there cities. I have always loved the harsh realities in your photos and I want to read people's reactions these pics. You know for sure that once you put these photos up on other threads you know that both "milq" and I will be there the first day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts