1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
476 Posts
Man, it just shows how confined Melbourne's density was/is. It would be a fantastic angle to have a shot from today!

·
Registered
395 Posts
How is that bad lol? I think Melbourne was always ahead of the other state capitals in term of its skyline..

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How is that bad lol? I think Melbourne was always ahead of the other state capitals in term of its skyline..
It's only really horrid when you compare it to todays skyline, you just look in amazement at the difference.

And that's what you call a real drought, all the grass is parched, was meant to be the worst drought last few years, but the grass has remained green everywhere.

·
Registered
395 Posts
doesnt take much for grass to go green, all you need is a few nights of rain and a day of sunshine..

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
doesnt take much for grass to go green, all you need is a few nights of rain and a day of sunshine..
Yeh, but did you ever see the grass go parched in the last couple of years, anywhere? I was having this discussion with someone the other day, and they agreed, has not been parched. I remember when I was growing up, all the nature strips and lawns in our street would always go brown in the summer, except for the ones that watered there lawns, they would always go brown without exception, I remember this as we would always be playing on them, in recent years the grasses have remained green, despite our worst drought ever....work that one out?

·
Registered
395 Posts
the drought is based on yearly rainfall figures, just because we have received the lowest average rainfall since records began doesnt mean none has fell in urban areas of Melbourne.. rural areas are the ones that have copped it most.. just because our lawns are nice and green it doesnt stop the fact we are expiriencing the worst drought ever.

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the drought is based on yearly rainfall figures, just because we have received the lowest average rainfall since records began doesnt mean none has fell in urban areas of Melbourne.. rural areas are the ones that have copped it most.. just because our lawns are nice and green it doesnt stop the fact we are expiriencing the worst drought ever.
Yes true, but we went for the longest periods without rain during the recent summer, it went for more than 2 weeks at one stage from memory without a drop of rain, yet the grass remained green. And they where hot days....can't work it out, doesn't matter.

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking at the pic too, if only they built Bolte higher, and a bit more elaborately....would have been such a better bridge.

·
Registered
395 Posts
haha.. dont get me started on the Bolte Bridge, they call that architecture? to me its an unfinished looking block of concrete that has a freeway running through it. It was the perfect place for a trully landmark bridge, such a waste.

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
@a.j.wilko
1,089 Posts
^ I really don't want to have to agree with you but I kinda am a little.

The MCG does look small, 120K is hard to believe although I know it's true, must have all been standing on each other.

As for the photo, not a bad a skyline for 1980. I may not have even been born when that was taken. Good density in that photo.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
haha.. dont get me started on the Bolte Bridge, they call that architecture? to me its an unfinished looking block of concrete that has a freeway running through it. It was the perfect place for a trully landmark bridge, such a waste.
Yep they could have had cruise ships right up to Victoria Harbour but the dickhead Kennett Govt planning Minister MacCelland at the time bent over backwards (or is it forwards?) to let Transurban save some money by keeping the bridge low.
BTW that pic is most likely 1983 when Melbourne had a very bad drought like the one atm.

·
Kasper
462 Posts
^ Nope as Cul said, Rialto isn't even build yet. I think it will be be summer of 83/84, when we had the last big drought and Rialto started construction.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Yep they could have had cruise ships right up to Victoria Harbour but the dickhead Kennett Govt planning Minister MacCelland at the time bent over backwards (or is it forwards?) to let Transurban save some money by keeping the bridge low.
BTW that pic is most likely 1983 when Melbourne had a very bad drought like the one atm.
Most new cruise ships can't get under the SHB, nevermind trying to build something high enough where the bolte is.

·
Agent of Change
7,203 Posts
I'd imagine most new cruise ships would have a hard time manouvering around Vic Harbour even if the Bolte was built with a higher clearance.

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
As for cruise ships fitting into Victoria Harbour.(if Bolte Br. had been higher)....I heard that it is a larger area of water than Circular Quay in Sydney??? looks smaller but ??? With the infrastructure fairly close down at Station Pier probably not commercially viable, it would have looked awesome large ships right at the Cities doorstep. Also...if you look at West Gate pylon location on east bank of Yarra..further widenning was / is anticipated.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts