SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Al-Rajajil (الرجاجيل )
4000 BC

Standing Stones in Saudi Arabia. In the northern desert, Al-Rajajil is a barren plain with groups of standing stones believed to be well over 5,000 years old. The tall thin stones, up to 10 feet high, have Thamudic inscriptions and are aligned to sunrise and sunset.

They are a bit of a mystery and together with pottery shards and nearby rock carvings make the area a magnet for archaeologists.

During the Chalcolithic, or Copper, Age, approximately 6000 years ago, the population of al-Jawf laboriously erected 54 groups of squared-off stone pillars, some of which measured up to 3m (9'6") in height. Called al-rajajil ("the men") today, the pillars appear to the casual observer to be randomly placed, although a bird's-eye view shows that they are placed in roughly parallel east-west lines.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
i know Thamoud but Rijajeel :?
btw its ancient Arabia not ancient Saudi Arabia! Saudi Arabia just started on 18th century

·
Banned
7,953 Posts
its Ancient "SAUDI ARABIA" ;) we always say Ancient Qatar =D

anyways... where are the rest =O !!

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know Thamoud but Rijajeel :?
btw its ancient Arabia not ancient Saudi Arabia! Saudi Arabia just started on 18th century
this location is called Al-Rajajil because from a distant the stones look like standing men "rajajil",, and it dates way before Thamoud ,,

i understand what your saying but here am listing the sites within modern Saudi Arabia,,,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts