SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Palace of Ardeshir
It is certainly the oldest Sassanid palace which was built by Ardeshir I, founder of the Sassanid empire, in Gur, the first Sassanid capital.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Pretty cool! Strong Roman influence though.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
No, I mean Roman. I'm referring to the techniques and overall appealing.

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are certainly some Roman influences, especially on this one:

Palace of Shapur in Bishapur
It was built by Shapur I, son of Ardeshir I, the palace had a very large dome which has been destroyed.

As you read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic Shapur I decorated his palace with tile compositions depicting dancers, musicians, courtesans, etc. This was the only significant example of figurative Persian mosaic, which became phohibited after Arab conquest and arrival of Islam.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Very interesting!

I feel that, unlike the previous pre-Islamic Persian dynasties, a clear, bold-faced example of Sassanid architecture hasn't survived today. They're missing their Persepolis and Hatra.

Actually, I guess Ctesiphon is a good example (which should be included here, no?)

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Palace of Khosrow (Kasra) in Ctesiphon is the largest Sassanid palace and also one of the youngest ones.

A prototype of Persian mosques:

Palace of Bahram in Sarvestan
It was built by Bahram V, the palace has one of the earliest sassanid domes which has not been destroyed completely.

It can be compared to the Persian mosques, like Sheikh Lotfallah Mosque in Isfahan:

Plan of the palace:

Some pics of the palace:

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Amazing!

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately almost all Sassanid columned palaces have been destroyed, near Taq-e-Bostan there are spiral columns which belonged to one of the largest Sassanid palaces:

Column Capitals:

The palace probably looked like the famous Vakil mosque in Shiraz:

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A UNESCO's World Heritage site:

Takht-e Soleyman

This is in fact a Sassanid royal fortified complex, including a man-made lake and some palaces and temples, other royal buildings include coronation, council, festivity, reception and dining halls.

A general view from Google Earth:

Some pics:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Cool thread.
Sassanid architecture is something I really have not familiarize myself with, even though their empire was one that caught my interest; besides Persian culture in general being of interest, the fact that they (as well as their predecessors, the Parthians) were the rival to Rome.

Of course Achaemenid architecture is easy to conjure up with visions of Persepolis, as is the post-Mongol stuff (notably the Safavids).
But even seeing pictures of Ctesiphon, it's hard for me to picture what their buildings looked like. Possibly with seeing more, a clearer image can surface.

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
As you read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic Shapur I decorated his palace with tile compositions depicting dancers, musicians, courtesans, etc. This was the only significant example of figurative Persian mosaic, which became phohibited after Arab conquest and arrival of Islam.

the first picture is apparently of a Persian noblewoman, most likely the queen, wife of Shapoor himself

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Palace of Khosrow (Kasra) in Ctesiphon
It is said this ancient palace has still the world’s largest single span of brickwork (about 40 meters high, 50 meters deep and 25 meters wide).

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
is there a reconstruction drawing or model of the is great building?
Persian Wonder in Age of Empires II:

But the more possible thing is that it looked like the Medieval Persian mansions, like Ameriha Mansion in Kashan:

·
Banned
246 Posts
Why are all the pictures here are broken and unavailable to view? Only one plan and two modern photo (of a mosque in Isfahan and house in Kashan) can be seen! None of the photos of the "Sasanian palace"!!! Is it because the others were pilfered without permission? Or were they uploaded in a wrong fashion? I would have loved to see them. Does anyone know?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts