SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What is it with the daft orange hat look? First the Kendals refurb, now this. Completely distracts and ruins the architecture of the original building. It's like drawing graffiti on a Picasso. Dreadful.
Depends if you like Picasso.

I'd prefer a slate grey. Hopefully something has been done about it. Did you give feedback?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...So we’re delighted Great Places and Manchester City Council are putting forward such a sensitive scheme that will finally see that iconic tower reinstated, affordable housing in the area and the Ancoats Dispensary saved for future generations to love as much as we have.”

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm OK with that. I think the roof extension is discreet enough that it doesn't encroach on the listed building too much. Looks like it will be barely noticeable from the front at street level.
I don't mind the extension. I would have like it to be more of a slate grey but the important thing for me is the restoration.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Why can't the rooftop extension be facing brickwork to match the rest of the building? Honestly, why does it have to have a modern look? Seems a bit daft to me to go to the efforts to rebuild the beautiful central tower if you going to clad the extension in cheap looking materials.

·
Los amigos
758 Posts
If the finished article ends up looking like this, I'll be happy despite my dislike of the daft roof extension.
Just one note of caution........... the more eagle-eyed among you would have spotted this.... (3) Rebuilding of central tower (if viable)'. Time to get the campaigning hats on just in case. If this was in London, it would just get done without question. The funding would be found. This has to be the case here. No weasely f**kin' excuses by the developer or caving in by the council.

·
Registered
763 Posts
If the finished article ends up looking like this, I'll be happy despite my dislike of the daft roof extension.
Just one note of caution........... the more eagle-eyed among you would have spotted this.... (3) Rebuilding of central tower (if viable)'.
I certainly noticed that, but I scoured the planning app and there was no suggestion the tower might not happen. Am I being to optimistic to think that might mean plans are looking firmer now?

·
Los amigos
758 Posts
Sad truth is they don't need to put that caveat in the app. The current app is to build it.
Trouble is with old and distressed buildings like this, you never really know what you're up against until you start. Particularly with a rubble filled basement.... My fear is they will use this to put in an amendment which will present a series of hand-wringing excuses not to do the tower.
There is no money for them in the tower; they just want the flats.
It seems to be a standard developer approach in Manchester these days - the old 'bait and switch'. I'm just saying 'be prepared for the worst, whilst hoping for the best' keeping in mind what would happen if this was in London.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts