SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Angola's Provinces and Smaller Cities | Cidades do Interior de Angola

113104 Views 265 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  JustWatch
Here are some new photos from Angola´s provinces (they are mainly all taken in 2003 and 2004)...but what surprises me is that a lot remains intact or has been restored...more investment is also trickling inn, I have heard and read....well there are still no glitzy high-rises but the need and emphasis is and should be on other things now.

I start with Lubango

Those who have been to Portugal (Lisbon) know these platform from where you can have an overview over the city...

a public garden

Well, this cine-theater has certainly seen brighter days but the photos dates back from 2003, it is probably has changed.

61 - 80 of 266 Posts
Very nice pics, Matthias !

The roads of Angola is definitely world-class !
Wait another 10 years and Angola will have one of the best if not the best road network in Africa, the are building new roads almost everywhere, check out an article on Angola´s extraordinary boom. It is in English.:)

Angola economic boom even strengthens

Very nice pics, Matthias !

The roads of Angola is definitely world-class !
Reuters 18 February 2007 - Predictions of economic growth in Angola during this year vary from fantastic to incredible numbers. The most pessimistic forecasts foresee a GDP growth rate of 17 percent for 2007, while the IMF expects the Angola economy to grow by over 31 percent.
In 2007, Angola again is expected to become Africa's biggest economic success story. Several international institutions and the Luanda government have already presented their predictions for this year's development, and all agree that the Angolan boom is continuing at full speed. Some international predictions claim that Angola will enjoy double digit growth till 2010.

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) in its latest forecast for the Angolan economy expects a GDP growth of 31.4 percent this year, close to the World Bank's prognosis of 30.2 percent. The Angolan government is equally optimistic, putting 2007's GDP growth at 31.2 percent.

These forecasts for 2007 follow a year of unprecedented economic boom in Angola. While the figures for economic growth in 2006 still vary, the Luanda government puts it at 15.5 percent. The other sources vary from 14.2 percent (EIU) up to 26 percent (OECD).

The unprecedented growth in Angola even shows signs of being a sound growth. Inflation has started to get under control. According to the IMF, last year it had gone down to 10 percent, while it expected to lower to 8 percent by the end of this year.

Not unexpectedly, much of the Angolan boom is driven by the expansion of oil production and the construction sector. While the oil sector grew by an estimated 15.0 percent last year - according to IMF figures - it is expected to boom by 40.9 percent this year. Angola's oil production is expected to rise from 1,4 million of barrels of oil per day in 2006 to more than 2 million barrels of oil this year - representing a growth of around 40 percent in just one year. Angola will likely produce more than 3 miilion barrels of oil per day in 2012.

But not only the oil sector is doing well. The non-oil sector last year was able to almost follow the growth in the oil sector, increasing by a rate of 20.8 percent. The IMF expects an even bigger growth in the non-oil sector this year, demonstrating that current economic development in Angola is broad-based.

Also government revenues and investments are thus allowed to expand rapidly during this year - both at a rate of around 35 percent. While the IMF foresees a growth in government debts from US$ 15 to 16.3 billion, the external debt ratio on GDP will actually lower this year, due to the massive GDP growth, according to the IMF analysis. Foreign exchange resserves have risen considerably over the last two years and are expected to climb further.

Further good news for Angolans is that investments in the country over the last four year now total over US$ 8 billion, according to Angola's National Private Investment Agency (ANIP). "In the last year alone, 463 investment projects have been approved, the highest number over the last three years" said ANIP chief executive, Ari de Carvalho.

Mr Carvalho noted that the construction sector saw the highest number of projects approved, with a total of 238, followed by industry with 173. "The growth of investment projects approved since 2003 shows the growing interest investors have in doing business in the country, motivated in part by macro-economic stability and economic growth," he noted.
Angolan roads have very good lining and from the pics they use very high-quality asphalts to cover the roads.

31.4 percent growth thats amazing ! Its even surpassing the record holder Azerbaijan with around 25% GDP rise.

Angolans must be one of the happiest citizens on earth at present :)
Skyprince, The good thing is that Angola´s march forward began just two to three years back and it will not abate any time soon. (Due to some forecasts: growth will remain double digit till 2010!!). Angola and its people truly desserve it after all these years of misery. Investors (especially from Brazil, Portugal and China but also beyond) rush in and Angolans in the diaspora (who have not lost touch with the country) come back more and more. (due to article I have read. (Our country - Nigeria - has to be on the guard otherwise Angola will turn out to be Africa´s leading oil producer) Oil production will be more than 3 million in 2012 and it will reach 2 million barrels of oil a day at the end of this year. Moreover, as you could read in some articles agricultural production is revived (non-oil sector) and it is growing fast. Let´s not forget that Angola was the third largest coffee producer in the whole world in the 70´s. The article above says that growth is broad-based. The country is fantastically rich in diamonds and other minerals. And probably gas, as well, because new gas contracts have been recently signed and the best is that Angola´s population is relatively low and "manageable", only 11.5 million people in an enormously vast country which is even bigger than Nigeria!
The world will see pleasant surprises coming out of that Southern African country in the future!
Wait and see!:)
beautiful waterfall in Angola

More photos of Angola´s provinces (taken in 2005)

beautifully shaded roads

THIS IS A NEW KARTING CLUB IN LUBANGO...some photos during inauguration

Not only Angola, but other African nations ; Botswana for example, has strong and improving economy. Botswana's per-capita PPP was $ 12 000 last year, which is already halfway into reaching the status of Western Europe's developed economies.

+30% growth.. that means that Angolan household's incomes double every 3 years ! It's even worth saying that the quality of roads in Angola ( from the pics ) is much better than the roads in some Western European countries ( surprisingly but true ! ) that I've been which are getting older and undermaintained.

However, I really hope that there are much promotions about Angola in particular and Africa in general on TV and magazine commercials; ( sadly ) most people in my region are still "uninformed" about Africa . Still there is too few airline connections between Asia and Africa ( most of Eastern and Southeast Asian carriers flying only into South Africa and Egypt , and there are very few African carriers flying into this region , namely Ethiopian Airlines, Air Mauritius, Air Madagascar, South African Airways etc ).

I found some wonderful pics of Angolan countrysides !

Namib Desert of Angola

lovely Lubango town

( sorry no descriptions )
Lubango

Lubango

A river on the way to Luanda

Skyprince, The good thing is that Angola´s march forward began just two to three years back and it will not abate any time soon. (Due to some forecasts: growth will remain double digit till 2010!!). Angola and its people truly desserve it after all these years of misery. Investors (especially from Brazil, Portugal and China but also beyond) rush in and Angolans in the diaspora (who have not lost touch with the country) come back more and more. (due to article I have read. (Our country - Nigeria - has to be on the guard otherwise Angola will turn out to be Africa´s leading oil producer) Oil production will be more than 3 million in 2012 and it will reach 2 million barrels of oil a day at the end of this year. Moreover, as you could read in some articles agricultural production is revived (non-oil sector) and it is growing fast. Let´s not forget that Angola was the third largest coffee producer in the whole world in the 70´s. The article above says that growth is broad-based. The country is fantastically rich in diamonds and other minerals. And probably gas, as well, because new gas contracts have been recently signed and the best is that Angola´s population is relatively low and "manageable", only 11.5 million people in an enormously vast country which is even bigger than Nigeria!
The world will see pleasant surprises coming out of that Southern African country in the future!
Wait and see!
Never shown anything from the tiny town called Porto Amboim, it looks deserted but its setting is nice

Here are some more post-war Lubango photos

public garden

Wow, some great stuff here!

I wanna drive on one of those twisty roads. ;)
Namibe photos

I really like those colourful buildings, it adds so much colour and shine to the place:cheers:

Cambinda

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Airport of Cabinda

The monument where the treaty with the Portuguese for Cabinda to become a protectorate was signed

Hotel Maiombe in Cabinda City

Wonderful "Baía Azul"

This is Cabo Ledo Beach

Baía do Namibe

how could i have let this one slip by me? i didn't know how beautiful angola was!
Arzaranh, Why do you say "was"? All those pics are showing Angola´s post-war period !:) ("At least" the war hasn´t destroyed all cities and it left Angola´s beautiful landscape intact as you can see).

Oh my God, just imagine....Angola would have been the pride of every African if that bloody, fucking, bullshit, awfully deplorable, painful .....war hadn´t destroyed so much:bash: :gaah: :gaah: :cry: :cry: Surely, the country could have been a tourist hotspot by now alongside with countries such as Kenya, South Africa or Marocco. (in Angola you have got the proper beaches, tropical jungle, the mountains, the savanah, the desert, waterfalls, multi-ethnic/racial population, the unique music and hot dances, Angolan art, you had appealing cities and towns etc..... all in one nutshell and all with a good foundation to build upon). What a gem!!!:eek:hno:
Into the bargain, the country has always been perversely rich in mineral ressources (oil, gas, diamonds, uranium, iron ore etc.)..and above all the population was/is "manageable" (before the war only around 7 million inhabitants). Angola could have easily become something like a "Venezuela of the 70´s/80´s" (due to its enormous oil wealth) and if well managed the country would have sky-rocketted and could have even been better than Malaysia today, socio-economically seen.
When will our world learn that wars will only bring about doom and gloom? I hate wars so much that I can´t put it into words. Things are always so easily and quickly destroyed but it is always immensely hard and tiresome to rebuild them again....

But let´s look forward and no longer backwards, Angola is FINALLY moving!:)
how could i have let this one slip by me? i didn't know how beautiful angola was!
That a good shot of the Kalandula Falls

mat your reading too much into what i said, but if it makes you feel better: i didn't know how beautiful angola is!

<censered> i was going to rub it in but that would be mean so i won't:)
Arzaranh, Why do you say "was"? All those pics are showing Angola´s post-war period !:) ("At least" the war hasn´t destroyed all cities and it left Angola´s beautiful landscape intact as you can see).

Oh my God, just imagine....Angola would have been the pride of every African if that bloody, fucking, bullshit, awfully deplorable, painful .....war hadn´t destroyed so much:bash: :gaah: :gaah: :cry: :cry: Surely, the country could have been a tourist hotspot by now alongside with countries such as Kenya, South Africa or Marocco. (in Angola you have got the proper beaches, tropical jungle, the mountains, the savanah, the desert, waterfalls, multi-ethnic/racial population, the unique music and hot dances, Angolan art, you had appealing cities and towns etc..... all in one nutshell and all with a good foundation to build upon). What a gem!!!:eek:hno:
Into the bargain, the country has always been perversely rich in mineral ressources (oil, gas, diamonds, uranium, iron ore etc.)..and above all the population was/is "manageable" (before the war only around 7 million inhabitants). Angola could have easily become something like a "Venezuela of the 70´s/80´s" (due to its enormous oil wealth) and if well managed the country would have sky-rocketted and could have even been better than Malaysia today, socio-economically seen.
When will our world learn that wars will only bring about doom and gloom? I hate wars so much that I can´t put it into words. Things are always so easily and quickly destroyed but it is always immensely hard and tiresome to rebuild them again....

But let´s look forward and no longer backwards, Angola is FINALLY moving!:)
Huambo post-war video (the city is in a better shape than I initially expected, at least the places shown in this video). Bear in mind that Huambo was one of the cities that was hardest hit by the war.....Btw, the music is beautiful:)

I agree! Huambo appears to be in much better condition than I first thought. Judging by this video, one can see a few new structures in the city, one of what it appears to be a recent structure seems to be an apartment building, it was located down the street, the driver didn't go that route but angled the camera so one can get a better view as he or she stood on the main Ave.

Good music btw. These are the kind of videos which I like, driving down the city with number of views if it's structures, climate and people.
61 - 80 of 266 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.