SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Of course, a more pertinent question is whether the residents of Norridge and Harwood Heights want to be annexed to Chicago. Perhaps they don't, and if not, I'm sure they have their reasons.

It's not at all unusual for big Midwestern cities to have a few "suburbs" that are totally surrounded by the city instead of being part of a ring around it. Indianapolis has Speedway, for example... Detroit has Hamtramck and Highland Park, Cleveland has Bratenahl, and Columbus has a whole slew of them due to the way the city annexed outlying unincorporated areas after those suburbs already developed, so that today they're situated "inside" the city.

A related question: I wonder if some of Chicago's declining inner suburbs to the south and west will one day reach a point where they will no longer be able to sustain themselves as independent communities, and whether annexation at that point might be their salvation. It's something to think about.

·
The City
7,187 Posts
DanInLakeview said:
A related question: I wonder if some of Chicago's declining inner suburbs to the south and west will one day reach a point where they will no longer be able to sustain themselves as independent communities, and whether annexation at that point might be their salvation. It's something to think about.

^ PLEASE NO! The last thing Chicago needs is even more dirt-poor and crime-ridden south & west side hoods

·
Banned
4,807 Posts
Here is a map of Chicago, for those who doesn't know what we are talking about.

Look at LA, they have many suburbs that is enclosed by their city limits.

I am ok with the suburbs enclose in Chicago... We don't really have to annex them...
what is the current status of Norridge + Hardwood Heights?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ive always wondered about why Norridge and Harwood Heights never had been annexed in the first place, when everything around it seems to within the city.

From what I recall the area is nondescript postwar suburbia, without any real older "downtowns" or "main streets" like a lot of Chicago suburbs have....though I recall reading somewhere that Harwood Heights actually has some WWII-era war worker housing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great maps Azn, it really shows why I started this thread. I understand that other midwestern cities and as you see in your map, L.A. have many suburbs that are enclosed by city limits, but Harwood Heights and Norridge have 0 identity. There is no downtowns, unless you want to call the crappy mall on Harlem a "shopping area"
Both suburbs are made up of a lot of 3 story condo/apartment buildings and residential homes.

·
Registered
752 Posts
....unless you want to call the crappy mall on Harlem a "shopping area"
Are you talking about Harlem and Irving? That was a hot shopping destination in the 1950s and early 1960s (when shopping centers themesleves where sort of fresh and new)

But I think its actually within the Chicago city limits?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
DanInLakeview said:
Of course, a more pertinent question is whether the residents of Norridge and Harwood Heights want to be annexed to Chicago. Perhaps they don't, and if not, I'm sure they have their reasons.
Indeed. Absorbing cities against their will is something that happens in Canada, not the US. It's eminent domain, and I oppose it on the municipal level just as strongly as I do on the individual level.

More power to Norridge, Harwood Heights, and especially Elk Grove Village, and Bensenville.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Chi_Coruscant said:
Nah, they are fine with me. It's Bensenville and Elk Grove Village that I want to be annexed. They are standing in the way of O'Hare modernization/expansion.
That's really just too bad. I'm not entitled to annex my neighbor's property just because I want to expand my driveway.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I suppose the real question here would be: Can Chicago annex any town? I am not familiar with state laws in Illinois regarding city/village annextion, but I wonder if the state would even allow Norridge and Harwood Heights to be annexed. city/village annextion is certainly not something that seems to happen very often in Illinois.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
These two have always bothered me being surrounded by the city, it just doesn't seem right. I hate how you can be surrounded by Chicago, but not actually in Chicago, just annoys me for some reason. Anyways, annexing them would probably be ok, a nice little population boost I guess.

Quickdraw said:
Ill forget you said that shit...
:guns1:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
^ What's the big deal? Many cities have suburbs wholly within them...Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Columbus, Los Angeles, and many more.

Even whole countires like Lesotho, San Marino, and the Vatican are fully surrounded by other nations.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
marathon said:
^ What's the big deal? Many cities have suburbs wholly within them...Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Columbus, Los Angeles, and many more.

Even whole countires like Lesotho, San Marino, and the Vatican are fully surrounded by other nations.
I don't know what the big deal is. It has bothered me since I was a kid; I used to love looking at maps of the city, and then there's a big hole right up in the north side, which still manages to push my buttons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.