SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Annobón (or Annabon or Anabon; from Ano bom Portuguese for Good Year), also known as Pagalu or Pigalu, is an island of Equatorial Guinea. It is located in the South Atlantic Ocean at 1°24′S, 5°35′E, about 220 miles off the west coast of Africa and 110 miles south west of São Tomé Island. It measures about 4 miles long by 2 miles wide, with an area of about 6¾ square miles. It has a population of around 5,000. The island's main industries are fishing and timber.

Annobón is an extinct volcano of which just the 598 m (1961 ft) peak (called Quioveo) rises above sea level. It is characterised by a succession of beautiful valleys and steep mountains, covered with rich woods and luxuriant vegetation. It has a central crater lake. A number of tiny rocky islets lie off the main island, including Santarem to the south.

The island constitutes the small Annobón Province. Being an island, it does not border any other provinces of Equatorial Guinea. Its capital is the northern village of San Antonio de Palé, and the island's other main settlement is the similarly-named San Antonio. The roadstead is relatively safe, and passing vessels take advantage of it in order to obtain water and fresh provisions, of which Annobon offers an abundant supply. However, there is no regular shipping service to the rest of Equatorial Guinea. Ships come as infrequently as every few months.

Annobón is often described as being "in the Gulf of Guinea" like the neighbouring islands of São Tomé and Príncipe, but the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) boundary line for the Gulf of Guinea actually runs north of it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's a shame that it is so difficult to find images of this island. Everything that is EG is most definitely one of the hardest just to collect images. :lol:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Dazzling! Gorgeous! How is easy (or difficult?) is it to travel to Annobon and is it a tourist-friendly place? What about hotels, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Annobon Island is fuzzy on Google Earth (v4), but is located at 1 24E; 5 38S.

If you activate Layers, Geographic Web, Panoramio then you will find several pics at this location - a few show a reasonable looking airport :) - and also a hotel.

The central crater lake is stunning as well.

·
Banned
16,927 Posts
What a paradise! Absolutely gorgeous place.

·
Banned
16,927 Posts
DanteXavier, that 3rd picture is truly one of the most extraordinary pictures I've ever seen!!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
DanteXavier, that 3rd picture is truly one of the most extraordinary pictures I've ever seen!!
I agree that it was quite nice, abesha. The island truly is beautiful, and it is a pity that it is not developed a lot more. It could be a very profitable tourist attraction if marketed properly.

·
Same old me
19 Posts
They could make so much money if they marketed this country as a tourist destination in Spain... I mean, they even speak Spanish, they could compete with the Caribbean destinations easily!

It is just gorgeous!

·
Registered
40,775 Posts
They could make so much money if they marketed this country as a tourist destination in Spain... I mean, they even speak Spanish, they could compete with the Caribbean destinations easily!

It is just gorgeous!
My thoughts!!! This would create jobs and help to diversify the economy...damn Africa has it all to succeed but it is constantly blocking itself!:bash:

·
Same old me
19 Posts
Yeah... and it's not so much about the political status or anything. I mean, look at Cuba, it is such a popular destination for people in Spain!
The thing is, we know Cuba is gorgeous and a safe and friendly place for tourists, but I bet almost no one in Spain (including myself before checking out this thread) would know there're such places in EG!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Beautiful island.

Annobón island used to be Portuguese but was given to Spain while Sao Tome which is North of Annobón was kept by Portugal. So Sao Tome separates this island from mainland Equatorial Guinea plus Bioko island.

Found out why some might not have this island on there list of places to go. It seem in 1988 the then government of Ecuatorial Guinea signed a 10 year contract with UK Buckinghamshire. That UK. company wanted to use the island to store 10 million barrels of chemical and radioactive waste. Other similar contracts were signed with European and American companies. They say there was another 10 years with an American company to use the island to store radioactive waste. The amount was 7 million tons in ten years. Around 720.000 tons a year.

So it seems instead of spending money there they should evacuate everyone.
What a rotten trick to pull on the people living there and on that beautiful island.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was in Annobon Island last summmer,and i did not see any radioactive waste. Noneless,i saw a beatiful island with a lot of social infrastructure going on. The island economy is booming as for the rest of E.G

1 - 20 of 52 Posts