SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shocked that no one is talking about this, maybe because most of you are at work. But, another crane mishap has happened in the city...

================================

Crane collapse in New York kills at least 1

NEW YORK (CNN) -- One person was killed Friday when a construction crane fell more than 20 stories from the top of a Manhattan building, according to Scott Stringer, the borough president of Manhattan.

The collapse left a pile of wreckage at the foot of an apartment building at 91st Street and First Avenue, a heavily residential area on the city's Upper East Side.

The crane also hit a building across the street as it fell, gouging out a chunk of a rooftop penthouse.

"I'm not directly on the scene, but I can confirm that we have lost a life of yet another building collapse in the borough of Manhattan, and it is an absolute tragedy," Stringer said.

The New York Fire Department would not comment on the status of any injuries.

But Florence Diamond, a bus driver who was approaching the corner when the happened, said the crane's operator appeared to have been in the cab when the rig fell.

"I just saw all the crane come down in the middle of the street. It was like something out of a movie," Diamond told CNN. "I couldn't believe the crane had fell, and I also saw the guy that was operating the crane go down with it. It was just one guy."

[][][][][]

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/30/crane.collapse/index.html

·
Super Moderator
11,286 Posts
The crane were operating on the site of the former stage theater which I thought they were going to build upon, but instead they simply tore down and will replace it with a school, below a residential tower.

It's a shame. To think I used to live less than 50 meters away, it's a good thing I'm not there anymore :lol:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Looks like the crane itself malfunctioned, not any negligence on the part of the operator. The only reason why I say this is because the crane came off at the turntable (swivel part of the crane). Indeed a very rare way for a crane to malfunction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts