SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Used Register
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heyho. had a fantastic trip at the australian eastcoast an like to share the photos with you. Have fun or not :)

Arriving at Melbourne, had to go through the seperate exit with the drugdog. That was cool, because my bag dropped as one of the last on the carusell. Saved me a lot of time at the customs lane

so I could enjoy the sunrise before I entered the plane to Cairns

Cairns Harbour. Every one here seems to have a boat or yacht

Streetscene southern CBD

A group of Pelicans ignore the warning signs to be aware of crocs :eek:hno:

The humans however seem to pay attention. empty beaches at the Esplanade. The "Jesus People of Cairns" invited me shortly after to a barbecue on next day. But I had other plans

Crocs in th rivers as well. I saw none :(

Bar at my Hostel (Guilligans Backpackers Resort, good one) met some people with whom I will continue my journey.

Of course I will protect my privacy and - even more important - the privacy of my new friends. So I am not gonna show pictures with recognisable persons. But longtime exposed pics with "Ghost-people" are fine, like this of on of the girls in my room

Live music with a bit beatboxing

View frim my room to Cairns CBD

On next day I made one of the best decisions of my life, not to play tough and refuse to take this pills

otherwise I would have been an active part of the largest puking-orgy I have ever seen in my live. Even worse than Octoberfest in Munich. The ride to the Great Barrier startet calmy

... but with wind and waves it turned out to trip to hell for almost 90% of the passengers

Blupp Blupp Blupp. Snorkeling at the Great Barrier. That was awesome!

·
Used Register
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next goal Mission Beach...

Such trucks crossed or way quite often. Seems when Australians move they take theis houses with them ...

The Ridge

Curvy and steep like the alps ...

... for some people too curvy. Find the crashed car

short break to enjoy the view

more to come :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Great pics so far! :) This should be moved to the City Images, Architecture & Historic themes forum so more people can see them!

Reactions: Ji-Ja-Jot

·
Used Register
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been to Gilligans before on New Years Eve a few years back, it was absolute pandemonium.
I liked Gilligans a lot. Big, clean, nice staff and people.

BTW:
Going to a backpackers does not mean that I get drunk every evening and stoned every second. There are huge differences of the accomendations. I tried out 3 "X-Bases" that were all total shit in case of the guests. And I think in Kings Cross every second hostal smells like Alkohol and looks even cheaper as it costs. Against that hostals like the Gilligans or the Wakeup in Sydney are like hotels with all the positive benifits you have at backpackers accomendations - meeting people, organise your trips with awesome and helpfull staff, having fun - by avoiding the negative elements - Noise, drunk british and german "first time far away from home with daddys credit card missusing the W&H Visa" idiots and people with dirty feets asking you for weed all the days instead of taking a shower...

·
Used Register
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Great pics so far! :) This should be moved to the City Images, Architecture & Historic themes forum so more people can see them!
I startet the thread here, because I was unsure if it would be placed right in section described as "City, Archiecture and History". Many of my pictures be show the nature.

Going on to Mission beach through the great dividing range...
We stopped at a lake, but I forgot the name. It is probably "Lake Barrine"

We wanted to see some turtles, and they did not disapoint me like the crocs in Cairns. cuuuuute :banana:

... the lake was beautiful as well

some kilometers further we saw the "Lord-of-the-Ring-tree"

... and there is a so called "waterfall circuit" in this region with some small and fotogenic falls.

I tried to find a way up, but the first part I found just lead to its bottom

... someothers discovered a second path into the rainforst and we started a second try to get on the fall. On the path a bird crossed our way and firstly we tought (and hoped) it would be some really rare stuff you see only once in a blue moon. (But later, when we returned to the parking lot dozens of these birds ran around there - so maybe next time)

Deeper into the forest with JiJa in front

but the path did not lead to top of the fall as well but only deeper into the rainforest until it got lost.

So back to our group to go on to Innisfail where we were going to return to the Bruce-Highway. So far again an awsome and diverse day

·
Premium Member
8,782 Posts
Nice to see it with a visitors perspective.

I've stayed in a lot of backpackers in my younger years, and Gilligan's is the biggest and most professionally run that I have ever seen. On my next Cairns visit I may have to go back and check out the jelly wrestling.

·
Used Register
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^ They told me they were the biggest backpacker accomendation in Australia at all together with the wakeup! in Sydney.

Going on to Mission Beach. At the beginning of each journey my taking-foto-behaviour is quite the same. I take pictures of every shit that passes my way. Later on my trips I do it not so much anymore, but between Cairns and Innisfail tons of pictures of farmhouses next to the road found their way to my SD-Card. I am sure you will forgive me if I reduce all these pictures to one random representive

Innisfail. It has a "fail" in its name. Maybe it is the Buxtehude of Australia because of this. Everyone knows it but no one knows where it is?

such kind of Arcades I spotted everywhere in Australia. In Germany they are not so common. I can only guess what they are for. Maybe sun protection

Beeing dissapointed from the crocs we tried to find some cassowarys, the most dangerous birds in the world that ripp of your stomach with their Raptor-Claws.

but we found them only at a street sign...

But seeing a living Kangoroo outside a zoo... Mission compleated at arravial in Mission Beach (Yay :) :banana: )

·
Registered
13,106 Posts
Great pics. I think most people know Innisfail because it was hit by a cyclone a few years ago. Other than that, it's any old rural town.

But the 'arcade' is I guess what we call an 'awning', and it's for sun protection, as well as protection from the rain etc. The tropics can get quite wet and is rather unpredictable, as well as QLD having the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. Not as common in the Northern Hemisphere due to winter snow, probably.

·
I need to find myself
5,203 Posts
Great thread. Was that the elusive but legendary swamp hen?

Reactions: Kelli and Ji-Ja-Jot

·
Used Register
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally Mission Beach.

I am one of those who take useless pseudo-art photos of garbage in the Sand. But don't worry. I am not one of those who take even more useless pseudo-art photos of my chucks and put a sepia filter over it ...

Poser running at (or on? I have a little problem with english prepositions) the beach. I tried later for myself. It is not as difficult as running in snow at home

My favourite picture of Mission Beach. I liked what the sunset and the threes did with the sand

Later at the evening Mexican Party with free vegi-chili and free Sangria. But the only picture I took that doesn't violate my private sphere rule is a picture of the local Hostel-Dog. Roughly every Hostal at our beach stops had some dogs. Seems to be an unwritten rule that small backpacker accomendations have to have a dog

Next day I spotted blood on the floor of our room. Unfortunately it was mine. I took shortcut through 20 cm high grass to our room instead of taking the path around the pool. When I went to bed I felt a slight burning comming from my left ankle. I thought I could be a mosquito bite and wrapped a towl around the wound. To deal more with it I was to tired and also a bit drunk. Whatever bite me, I am still alive, so it is probably not described in this funny "dangerous animals" song

1 - 20 of 249 Posts