SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is highly likely that I will be relocating from Dallas to Chicago (or thereabouts) between October and January. Our office is in Oakbrook Terrace. While I hate the idea of having to work in the burbs, it looks like I may just have to deal with it. What are my options (renting at first) other than Oak Park...which I like. I want to be close enough to enjoy downtown/Wrigley/BT/Live Bands etc on the weekends and occasionally during the week. Is it worth living in the core and commuting to the burbs everyday? What are some good alternatives and commute times. Unfortunately, it appears that Oakbrook Terrace is not on the Metra line.

I know that other people have got to be in this situation.....not everyone is lucky enough to work downtown and be able to go home for lunch.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think it is totally worth it to live in the core, regardless of the circumstances.

Although Oakbrook Terrace is not on the Metra line, you can take express trains to Downers Grove from downtown (30 minutes or so I believe) or to Lombard (or some other suburb nearby). Often times, large companies have a shuttle bus from the Metra station to their building.

I am a consultant...so I rotate between downtown, suburbs, and out of town. I hate going out to the suburbs...but it sure beats the alternative of living there. There are several ways to mitigate your commute. You'll just have to keep and open mind, explore the options, and be creative.

Right now, I'm working 4 days a week in the north suburbs. I can take the metra from downtown to a train station in Northbrook. From there, there is a suburban bus (Pace) that buses people from the train station to this company's building. See if your company does the same.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
BADallas said:
It is highly likely that I will be relocating from Dallas to Chicago (or thereabouts) between October and January. Our office is in Oakbrook Terrace. While I hate the idea of having to work in the burbs, it looks like I may just have to deal with it. What are my options (renting at first) other than Oak Park...which I like. I want to be close enough to enjoy downtown/Wrigley/BT/Live Bands etc on the weekends and occasionally during the week. Is it worth living in the core and commuting to the burbs everyday? What are some good alternatives and commute times. Unfortunately, it appears that Oakbrook Terrace is not on the Metra line.

I know that other people have got to be in this situation.....not everyone is lucky enough to work downtown and be able to go home for lunch.

Thanks for your input.
BA, apparently you know about Oak Park. Keep in mind that it is the type of community that is transition between city and suburb and offers a great setting for those who enjoy an urban life style.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts