SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st of May here was silent, sunny, a bit lazy day. Streets were almost empty and there were not too many tourists. Perfect day for photography in historical centre.
Today there was the fifth time when I mapped architecture in the northern part of Old Riga. Some 10 times still needed for Old Riga, then I will move to Boulevards.
- - -
Today walked the part of Old Riga around Jekaba church. I really love this part of city because it is very pleasant, silent and rich with architecture. Even in grey weather it looks bright. 75 pictures were too less for this picturesque area – should come more times.

Sunday look to Vansu bridge

Riga skyline from Vansu bridge

Caste of Riga – seat of president

View in inner garden of Castle

Smaller building of castle complex – just renovated:

Detail of banking highschool on K. Valdemara Street 1b

Bank of Latvia – entrance

Courtyard near Jekaba Church. Everything looks ancient.

Front side of this building

Goethe Institut buildings

Some Catholic institution

Klostera Street

Entrance on St. Jekaba Church with two older ladies

Bell of St Jekaba Church high up in the air

Gothic details

Jekaba Street:

Jekaba square

Parliament building on Jekaba Street 11

Here work parliamentary commissions – Jekaba Street 10/12

Stone detail of neighbouring building on Jekaba Street

This building stands on corner of Jekaba and Smilsu Streets

Jugendstil on Smilsu Street 2

Smilsu Street

Arsenal – one of best Ampire style samples in Riga. Nowadays – exhibition hall

Arsenala Street

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Ringil - that is library. There are lots of different symbolics - I am sure it all has some meaning for library. In general lots of Art Nouveau symbolics are with some meaning.
There are also lots of Freemasonry symbolics in Art Nouveau buildings around Riga - some people are investigating these things now. F.e. look at the middle part of this building:

·
User
719 Posts
Nice. I like pictures of smaller buildings, I don`t know, they just look cuter to me. But anyway old town of Riga is really great place.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Thank you, Gatis! :)

I just can't over how many large areas of coherent architecture there are in Riga. That is SO enviable, and SO impressive! :eek:

I really like your style of "reporting." :master:

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Riga is so beautiful !!!!!!!!! Lovely pics !! The view from Vansu bridge is unbelievable ! The Goethe Institut buildings and the presidents castle are very pretty !!!

·
Registered
meow
9,842 Posts
Gosh! Riga is so OH MY GOD'ish!!!! Wonderful pics, thank you VERY much! You know, Riga didn't call much of my attention, maybe cuz it was a bit underrated over here when I used to visit S&B more often. But now, with this pics, it's absolutely gorgeous for me! When I go to Helsinki and Tallinn, Riga will definetly be in my route too! :)

·
Endorsed by the NRA
SSC User of the Year 1987
25,013 Posts
I agree. BTW, do the Latvians call that one church "Dom"?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts