SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Townsville Bulletin reports this morning that a Townsville businessman plans to re-establish Ansett Airways to fly regional routes in Queensland, although with a different logo. It is planned over time to grow into a "major airline". Here's one of the Fokker Friendships they will use .

Wow, I wonder if the new Ansett could ever become anything approaching what it was? A very interesting turn of events anyway!

Website http://www.ansettairways.com/

Article http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/1,7034,15130935%5E14787,00.html

Ansett rebirth plan
By SHEREE LINEHAM
30apr05
A SOUTH Townsville man is behind plans to establish a new airline to service routes between major Queensland centres, including Townsville.

The man has reserved the company name of Ansett Airways Pty Ltd with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission and aims in time to develop the company into a major airline.

The venture could mark the return of the name "Ansett" to our skies from August 1, according to the business plans.

Major airline Ansett Holdings went into voluntary liquidation in 2001.

According to the website Ansett Airways, plans are to service centres including Brisbane, Gladstone, Mackay, Hamilton Island, Mount Isa, Horn Island and Townsville.

South Townsville man Terry Byrt made the application to reserve the business name with ASIC on March 30.

Mr Byrt gave details that it was a privately-owned company, part-owned by him.

He said he needed to reserve the name while directors appointments were made.

Mr Byrt, who listed his address as 37 Sixth St in South Townsville, did not want to reveal any information when contacted by the Bulletin yesterday.

However, he did say the acquisitions had not yet been completed.

The Bulletin found several details of the planned venture on an

Ansett Airways.

The website says the airline will be born as the result of acquisitions of several RPT (regular public transport) and charter aviation businesses.

It says that upon completion of the acquisitions, the existing businesses will become subsidiaries of Ansett Airways.

Beyond the then existing operations, applications will be made to Civil Aviation Safety Authority to add five Fokker Friendship aircraft to service the proposed Queensland centres.

"This business will put the name Ansett back into the air and with the support of the small businesses over time it will grow to a major airline," the website says.

Australian Airports Townsville, Townsville Enterprise and the Townsville Chamber of Commerce all said they had no knowledge of the new venture yesterday.

But a spokeswoman for Townsville Enterprise said the organisation was keen to find out more.

Australian Airports Townsville CEO Chris McHugh said he had not yet heard from the business operation.

"We have had no commercial dealings," Mr McHugh said.

"But we would be delighted to talk to anyone planning to increase services out of Townsville and contribute to the growth of the Townsville region."

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
I didn't read this in the Bully today, I would've seen it when I was reading it. Probably a new Flight West instead, thats what I'd say.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
From the 1st of August this year, HOLY SHIT!!!!!

·
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeh, me neither - maybe you can become a hostess for Ansett after all Samantha :)

Gertzy - lol, how did you NOT see it - there's a huge headline at the bottom of page one (below that "Fortress DFS" crap) :D

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Would this mean once they go nation wide, the head office will open back up in Melbourne?

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
^ Well it could be possible if everything is still in Melb from before..
But id assume that their office space was taken up by someone else long ago?

Being that it is a Townsville businessman, and its starting up with regional QLD Flights..

The Head office would be either Townsville or Brisbane.
I dont think theyd move back to Melb even if they expanded again.. simply because theyd altready have an established head office elsewhere.

·
Registered
97 Posts
somehow i don't feel this is a good idea, creating a new company completely different to the collapsed Ansett....and naming it "Ansett" - riding on the good name that was...

·
Sleep is for wimps :)
369 Posts
Bloody hell...that chick looks like she's been time-warped out of the 60's...as does the whole livery.

I wish them all the best, but it does seem a little dodgey....

·
Registered
606 Posts
lol samantha banned already. funny. well it was only a matter of time.

·
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jcocks said:
Bloody hell...that chick looks like she's been time-warped out of the 60's...as does the whole livery.

I wish them all the best, but it does seem a little dodgey....
I think it actually IS from the 60's, or a long time ago. There are several photos of Ansett aircraft in those colours on the net.

DC-9

So it seems the new Ansett is using the logo and colours of the original Ansett from many years ago, which is quite weird and VERY dodgy.

·
Unacquainted Acquaintance
1,591 Posts
Oriolus said:
I think it actually IS from the 60's, or a long time ago. There are several photos of Ansett aircraft in those colours on the net.

DC-9

So it seems the new Ansett is using the logo and colours of the original Ansett from many years ago, which is quite weird and VERY dodgy.
The logo's fine. The livery, on the other hand belongs in the sixties.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,856 Posts
Fashionable Samantha said:
I don't like that tacky red and black colour scheme, I prefer their old yellow A with the southern cross. Ansett truly was the worlds best airline.
I actually agree with you on something - Ansett was a truely amazing airline.

The branding is very questionable esp with respect to its retro nature and the brand saturation of airlines in Australia already using red. Is it actually just a rehash of the old livery and branding? It sure looks like they have just lifted it. It does look very 1960s.

They should stick to blue like the fantastic corporate identity Ansett was using at their demise.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
Oriolus said:
Gertzy - lol, how did you NOT see it - there's a huge headline at the bottom of page one (below that "Fortress DFS" crap)
I Got sucked in by the Fortress DFS Headline and turned the page, but after I logged off on Saturday, I then saw it. That Logo and Livery was the livery Ansett used from the mid 60's to Early 80's. I'd like it to be the 80's - early 90's one where it was the southern cross but from each star was a coloured streak etc.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Its the same as Pan Am. Once THE major US long haul carrier was reborn in much more modest form with its base in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

I think this guy in Townsville is looking at a similar concept with the Ansett brand.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
I never knew there was a Pan Am Rebirth, has it failed or is it still going and what aircraft does it use.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Gertzy said:
I never knew there was a Pan Am Rebirth, has it failed or is it still going and what aircraft does it use.
They've been operating for a few years now. Their fleet is made up exclusively of 727s fitted out with winglets and hush-kits. They struck a deal with United Airlines after 9-11 to purchase a number of their 727 fleet that was to be retired.
http://www.flypanam.com

This fellow is already rehashing the old brand complete with aircraft from that error ie: Fokker F27 Friendship.
Imagine if he brought back some of the other Ansett jet classics too.
The 727 would be very cool indeed. As with Pan Am these could be fitted out with hushkits so as to satisfy noise restrictions.

Potentially he could even use Boeing 717s as a modern comeback for the DC9 as the 2 are virtually identicle.

·
©
9,470 Posts
The pic of that Fokker F27 is an old photo and i can garantee if this venture gets off the ground (I doubt it will) they WON'T be using that livery. The photo was just to show anyone who doesn't know what an F27 looks like.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Wezza said:
The pic of that Fokker F27 is an old photo and i can garantee if this venture gets off the ground (I doubt it will) they WON'T be using that livery. The photo was just to show anyone who doesn't know what an F27 looks like.
Maybe so, but the whole website is decked out in those retro colours so certainly at this stage they seem to be going for just that. Anything (or nothing) could happen of course.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts