Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Racism. Homophobia. Misogyny. Xenophobia. Misandry. Anti-semitism. Islamophobia. Ableism. Classism.

Why are none of these acceptable, and yet it's okay to show hate for a individual from Liverpool, simply because he was born in Liverpool? WHY.

The Irish Independent this time:

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/features/ispy-and-they-say-they-dont-take-offence-693205.html

"Really, just when you think people can't get any more thin- skinned, stupid and prickly, you forget that God invented Scousers."

"dire warnings of boycotts, physical revenge and general sense of an institutionalised persecution complex - all the trademarks of the professional Scouser"

Although, coming from a city where the book of condolences for Ken Bigley was actually stolen, who cares what they think?

Referring back to this bile, entitled unashamedly 'Filthy Scouse scum':

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/features/now-heres-an-offer-you-really-cant-refuse-691296.html

"Is there anything more tedious than a Scouser? The most obnoxious city in Europe is also the most smug, self-congratulatory and paranoid - actually, it's a bit like Cork with even more annoying accents."

"Scapegoats? Refusal to accept blame? Something Scousers know all about."

I'm sick of it. It's demeening, it's hateful and it's upsetting. Replace the word 'scouse' with 'jew' or 'black' and this cretin would be in prison. I would complain but I'm a second class citizen. Has the writer forgotten the 'No blacks. No irish. No dogs' signs? It doesn't seem we've moved on.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
It looks like he's a professional gobshite. It's perhaps reasssuring that not only the UK has loathesome and offensive journalists, or, at least, people paid to be offensive. The little man probably wouldn't say boo to a goose if you were to meet him.

I'm sure that as a Dublin based bigot, he's constantly denigrating rival city Cork to the delight of his skanger readers, as indicated in the quote above.

Oh yeah, and the book on condoldence for Ken Bigley was stolen in Birmingham.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Many of these things have passed beyond the realm of received wisdom and into fact now... they NUST have happened as they have been so often reported on and sited in later articles.. so the book 'was' stolen, ther was 'shit in a cup' and a 'storming' of an amblulance.. we did all go enmasse down Breck Rd, fatima-like to pray to a noin-existent abandoned foetus. We wail in response to percieved but non-existent sleights (like the one in the Indie) The most wonderfully talented part of the composition plot though was that he pre-empted the fact that we would all wail hysterically at being pilioried in the papers.... and used this as proof of our 'thin skinnedness - and he was, of course, proven right! BINGO - give the man a hot dog!

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
An amusing thing is that, given that this article appeared in a foreign newspaper, very few people in Liverpool would have read it. Any reaction he did get - and I'm sure he's exaggerated what he did - would have been from his fellow Irishmen, and not Scousers, who quite rightly thought his piece was offensive. Gobshite.

I suspect that he's pandering for football animosities and trying to please the Man U-supporting element in the south of Ireland.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
Many of these things have passed beyond the realm of received wisdom and into fact now... they NUST have happened as they have been so often reported on and sited in later articles.. so the book 'was' stolen, ther was 'shit in a cup' and a 'storming' of an amblulance.. we did all go enmasse down Breck Rd, fatima-like to pray to a noin-existent abandoned foetus. We wail in response to percieved but non-existent sleights (like the one in the Indie) The most wonderfully talented part of the composition plot though was that he pre-empted the fact that we would all wail hysterically at being pilioried in the papers.... and used this as proof of our 'thin skinnedness - and he was, of course, proven right! BINGO - give the man a hot dog!

It's the Irish Independent. For God's sake Tony, your utter loathing for anyone who is a "liberal" isn't so unhinged that you'd think the Independent would carry an opinion entitled "filthy scouse scum" would you? This journalist is an insect but he's writing for a rightwing, low- to middle-brow newspaper in Dublin. It's closest UK equivalent would be the Daily Mail.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You're not alone, it seems it's ok to riducule, poke fun at & generally run down Brummies too, perhaps one day we will have an "Anti-Cityism" law to compliment all of the other "Anti this, that & the other" laws!!

You probably wouldn't have noticed, but whenever a pig is used in an advert, comedy sketch or any other type of program in the media, the voice over used is almost always that of a thick sounding, heavy accented Brummie!!!

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
You're not alone, it seems it's ok to riducule, poke fun at & generally run down Brummies too, perhaps one day we will have an "Anti-Cityism" law to compliment all of the other "Anti this, that & the other" laws!!

You probably wouldn't have noticed, but whenever a pig is used in an advert, comedy sketch or any other type of program in the media, the voice over used is almost always that of a thick sounding, heavy accented Brummie!!!
The Emu in Muffin the Mule is pretty stupid and he is a brummie.
Saying that though "Brum, Brum gets things done - super cruisin, super hero" - never heard him talk though so although he lives in Birmingham you cant be sure he is a bona fida brummie.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
being a brummy living in liverpool i say **** off to all the bullshit written about both cities by plainly ignorant people.

both cities have been through the wringer over the past 60 years and both cities will prove all doubters to be the idiots they actually are by virtue of our triumphant resurgence.

it takes time to change perceptions but that is what we will do.

·
Registered
12,758 Posts
At least they;re honest about their prejudices. you should have seen the patronising rubbish written about Yorkshire last week during the IIFAs.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
There's a saying "you have to walk in dirty water when it's the water of truth"The truth is that the small scum element of this city let the city down very badly in Athens, i don't want to expand it on too much but the behaviour of some retarded scum before the match and others who have since threatened for compensation for loss of tickets due to forgeries,have fulfilled every prejudice the anti-Liverpool brigade hold.The bullets have been handed to them on a plate

·
Fugly
11,311 Posts
The people who bought their tickets legit have every reason to sue. I don't know why they haven't got together and spoken out against the bandwagon jumping retards who flew over there without tickets and stormed the place. Have these witless gobshites learned nothing in 18 years?

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
The people who bought their tickets legit have every reason to sue. I don't know why they haven't got together and spoken out against the bandwagon jumping retards who flew over there without tickets and stormed the place. Have these witless gobshites learned nothing in 18 years?
Who's interest is that serving only their own.Did you think £95 is worth keeping this in the gaze of the media where possibly there could be an awful lot of criticism coming the way of the fans and the city.These idots want to shut the **** up.Just to add i've got genine sympathy with the fans who didn't get tickets from the ballot,etc.Parry has to justify why 6,000 tickets went to corporate,shareholders,players and ex-players and every other monied hanger on you could think of leaving 9,000 for the real fans a fucking disgrace.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Saying that though "Brum, Brum gets things done - super cruisin, super hero" - never heard him talk though so although he lives in Birmingham you cant be sure he is a bona fida brummie.
"Brum" actually lives in Bourton-on-the-Water in the Cotswolds, so probably has an accent like Vicky Pollard off Little Britain!! :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
"That was just the latest example. What other set of fans steal tickets from their fellow supporters or out of the hands of children?" said Uefa spokesman William Gaillard.

Reputation Justified

·
Registered
909 Posts
"That was just the latest example. What other set of fans steal tickets from their fellow supporters or out of the hands of children?" said Uefa spokesman William Gaillard.

Reputation Justified
:applause:

Well I guess then that Harold Shipman and Peter Sutcliffe proves that all Mancs and Yorkshiremen are mass murdering scum.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
It's the Irish Independent. For God's sake Tony, your utter loathing for anyone who is a "liberal" isn't so unhinged that you'd think the Independent would carry an opinion entitled "filthy scouse scum" would you? This journalist is an insect but he's writing for a rightwing, low- to middle-brow newspaper in Dublin. It's closest UK equivalent would be the Daily Mail.

I didn't actually mention his political leanings, or imply the political colour of the paper... what I did do is miss out the word 'Irish'.. along with a load of letters from other words and the usual stuff though!

On that point though.. would you really be surprised to read something of that low calibre in the British Indie.. or the Guardian? I wouldn't.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
Perhaps not - although not quite so uncouthly written. This guy is clearly an Irish Littlejohn. You'd get this kind of thing in the right wing press also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
:applause:

Well I guess then that Harold Shipman and Peter Sutcliffe proves that all Mancs and Yorkshiremen are mass murdering scum.
It is my understanding that Harold Shipman was born and schooled in Nottingham obtaining his medical degree from the University of Leeds.

Although Sutcliffe was indeed from Yorkshire, my experiences in the county suggest that all Yorkshiremen are not "mass murdering scum"

·
Fugly
11,311 Posts
Who's interest is that serving only their own.
And what? Should they not seek reimbursement for the hundreds, if not thousands of pounds spent and lost because of their fellow 'fans' and UEFA's shitty organisation? Should they scratch what quite easily could've turned into another football disaster for the 'good of the city'? If that happened to me I'd want those responsible strung up by their bollocks, (selfish moronic)fellow supporter or not.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,725 Posts
It is my understanding that Harold Shipman was born and schooled in Nottingham obtaining his medical degree from the University of Leeds.

Although Sutcliffe was indeed from Yorkshire, my experiences in the county suggest that all Yorkshiremen are not "mass murdering scum"
Hindley and Brady then.:)

my experiences in the county suggest that all scousers are not all blah blah blah.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts