SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my opinion these laws are outdated and dont reflect the current broadcast enviroment.

Demand to scrap networks' first-pick rights to TV sport

FREE-TO-AIR television networks should have their "first pick" rights to major sports events curtailed or abolished because of the unnecessary costs they impose on pay-TV operators and major sports.

A key economic adviser to government has recommended a rethink of the longstanding "anti-siphoning" rules aimed at maximising free TV coverage of major sports, ahead of Canberra's review of the scheme.

In a draft report out today, the Productivity Commission has slammed the list of sports offered first to free-to-air networks as "inherently anti-competitive".

"The anti-siphoning list appears to be unnecessary to meet the objectives of wide consumer access to sports broadcasts (it may actually reduce consumer access to sports broadcasts)," its latest annual review of regulatory burdens on business concludes. "Further, it imposes substantial regulatory burdens and competitive disadvantages on subscription television networks. The option to abolish the anti-siphoning regime should be explored."

The current regime covers key events such as the Olympics, Commonwealth Games and Melbourne Cup as well as cricket, tennis, basketball, soccer, golf, motorsport, AFL, rugby union and rugby league fixtures.

But it has come under fire from sports bodies, pay-TV operators and audiences because of the advantage it hands to the major networks and their hoarding of events they are not prepared to broadcast.

The major TV networks defend the system as a way of protecting people's rights to watch their favourite sports events for free. But even they are lobbying for change to some of the anti-siphoning provisions, which require them to air the listed sports on their main channel before they broadcast it on their second, digital channels.

The federal government has promised to review the rules this year.

In March, the Ten Network outraged South Australian football fans by deciding against showing the AFL's season-opening game live because it clashed with the high-rating The Biggest Loser. It was prohibited from airing the game live on its One network by the anti-siphoning rules.

The government has "use it or lose it" rules in place to try to force the big networks to broadcast the sports events they have preferential access to.

However, the Productivity Commission said their effect remained unclear and it backed a more formal trigger to delete from the list events not actually shown on free-to-air.

It has also called on Canberra to strip the "seemingly arbitrary" anti-siphoning list back to top events such as finals, as an interim measure, while the option of scrapping the system entirely is considered.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25691896-7582,00.html
These rules lower the value of sporting competitions by not having a effective bidding process, they also hinder the development of multi-channel digital broadcasts.

Im of the opinion that maybe the anti-siphoning list should be restricted to include finals and other major sporting events.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All Socceroos and Wallabies matches should be on free to air.
theres more to it then that though, in places like Perth and Adelaide where the Wallabies matches arent played live, they arent even allowed to play it on the alternate digital channel due to anti-siphoning laws.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Oh k. I think its a disgrace the way sport is in this country. Soccer and Rugby Union are the two biggest types of football on the world stage therefore every Australian should be able to see these games live. Therefore I agree, Anti Siphoning laws should be scrapped.

·
Crazy young doge man
2,697 Posts
Not scrapped, but changed to allow FTA networks to show sports live on secondary digital channels.

Also, A-league should come under the anti-siphon agreement.

·
Maglev Believer
2,259 Posts
Not scrapped, but changed to allow FTA networks to show sports live on secondary digital channels.

They are the two biggest changes I would like to see to the list.
Seven doesn't want to show Friday Night AFL live up here in Brisbane, that's fine as AFL isn't that popular sport up here. But they should be able to show it on Seven HD, which I think they would if they could.

A side note on the A-League, the old NSL was covered by the list, but when it got changed to the A-League it wasn't reciprocated. It may be a blessing in disguise, as it may have been treated like the old NSL by a FTA network. Now we have FTA networks wanting to cover it, a good situation to be in.

Rules could be incorporated in a show it or lose it fashion as well. But in general I believe the list has good principles at heart.

·
Crazy young doge man
2,697 Posts
Also, the NSL was played during the same time of year as AFL and NRL. No wonder no one wanted to cover it then

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I think it should be scrapped altogether, the codes are missing out on valuable money by not been able to sell there product to paytv..

As for the A-League, no offence but you wouldnt have the A-League if it was on the anti-siphoning list. John Oneil even admitted back when he was chief of the FFA that if the soceroos were on the anti-siphoning list then they wouldnt have been able to pay for the A-League due to the less money from FTA.

·
Registered
378 Posts
theres more to it then that though, in places like Perth and Adelaide where the Wallabies matches arent played live, they arent even allowed to play it on the alternate digital channel due to anti-siphoning laws.
I really hope they make the changes so i can watch rugby (both league and union) at a reasonable time over here. With the A-league, i remember that SBS made a bid, but the A-league decided to choose Fox Sports over them.

·
#pantherpride
1,561 Posts
I can't understand why all Socceroos matches are exclusive to Fox Sports - must have been something to do with the last rights deal struck with the FFA. The current major soccer matches on the anti-siphoning list must only refer to the World Cup, and other FIFA tournaments, like the Champions League... it should be relaxed to include world cup qualifiers too, as well as as the Asian Cup and friendlies.

·
Maglev Believer
2,259 Posts
I can't understand why all Socceroos matches are exclusive to Fox Sports - must have been something to do with the last rights deal struck with the FFA.
I think we will see these things added. The FFA did a deal with Fox Sports for everything they had to offer to get better money for the A-League as well. So they got everything Socceroos, AFC Champions League and A-League.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FFA use the broadcast money the receive from the Soceroos to fund the A-League, the A-League on its own doesnt earn enough to sustain itself from the broadcast rights.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
So we will never get to see the Socceroos on free to air again? What a fucking joke that would be.

·
Maglev Believer
2,259 Posts
So we will never get to see the Socceroos on free to air again? What a fucking joke that would be.
You will see them in June (and hopefully July - that would require us to make the 1/4 finals) on SBS at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Apart from that though I think we won't see them on FTA until the current contract runs out in 2013 or something like that.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
in the short term we wont see them on FTA, in the longer term when the A-League comp is self sufficient and the contract is up for renegotiation, its possible that they will return to FTA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts