SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
__________
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Ned. Antillen

Aruba



History
Both the Leeward and Windward island groups were discovered and initially settled by the Spanish. In the 17th century,the islands were conquered by the Dutch West India Company and were used as bases for slave trade.

In 1954, the islands were promoted from colony to a part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The island of Aruba was part of the Netherlands Antilles until 1986, when it was granted a "status aparte", and became a separate part of the kingdom.











Willemstad, Curacao











 

·
__________
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)


Saba

Saba (pronounced "SAY-ba") is the smallest island of the Netherlands Antilles, located at longitude 63.13 degrees West, latitude 17.38 degrees North. It consists largely of the extinct volcano, Mount Scenery (888 m), the highest point of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Christopher Columbus is said to have sighted Saba on November 13, 1493, but did not land. In 1632 a group of shipwrecked Englishmen landed upon Saba; they stated they found the island uninhabited when they were retrieved by others. In 1635 a stray Frenchman claimed Saba for Louis XIII of France and around the year 1640, the Dutch West India Company sent people from the neighbouring island of St. Eustatius to colonize the island. The Netherlands finally took possession of Saba in 1816 after a spell of British occupation during the Napoleonic era.

Through the 17th and 18th centuries its major industries were sugar and rum, and, later, fishing. In the 1600s Saba was believed to be a favorable hideout for Jamaican pirates.

The remains of the 1640 settlements can be found on the west side at Tent Bay.









_____________________________________________________________________



Port of St. Eustatius.

Sint Eustatius

Sint Eustatius (also Saint Eustace and Statia) is one of the islands making up the Netherlands Antilles; it is in the northern, Leeward Islands portion of this territory, to the east of the Virgin Islands at 17°30′N 62°58′W. The regional capital is Oranjestad. It is named after the legendary Catholic saint Eustace.

History
The island was seen by Christopher Columbus in 1493 and claimed by an astonishing welter of nations over the next 150 years. In 1636 it was colonized by the chamber of Zeeland of the Dutch West India Company. As of 1678 the islands Sint Eustatius, Sint Maarten and Saba fell under direct command of Dutch West India Company. At Sint Eustatius a commander was stationed, who also governed over the islands Sint Maarten and Saba. At the time, the island was of some importance for sugar cultivation. The island was also home to one of the first Jewish settlements in the New World, dating back at least to the early 18th century. The Honen Dalim Synagogue, built in 1739, now stands in ruins.

In the 18th century the island became known as the Golden Rock, since the island's economy flourished by ignoring the trade embargoes between the great powers.

Since the island sold arms and ammunition to everyone who wanted to pay for it, the island was one of the few ways for the rebellious Thirteen colonies to obtain weaponry. This good relationship between Sint Eustatius and the United States resulted in the famous flag incident, when Commander Johannes de Graaff of Sint Eustatius decided to answer the salute fire of the Andrew Doria that visited the island on 16 November 1776. The United States gave the answering salute great publicity since the island de facto recognized the independence of the United States. (See The First Salute by Barbara Tuchman)

The British did not take the incident too seriously, although they protested against the continuous trade between the United States and Sint Eustatius. In 1778 Lord Stormont claimed in British parliament that 'if Sint Eustatius had drown into sea three years before, the United Kingdom would already have dealt with George Washington'. The trade of Sint Eustatius with the United States was the main reason for the Fourth Anglo-Dutch War, which was disastrous for Dutch trading.

Sint Eustatius Harbor.As a result of the war, Sint Eustatius was taken by the British on 3 February 1781. Commander de Graaff, who at the moment was not informed about the declaration of war but seeing that he was facing superior forces, surrendered the island to the British Admiral Rodney. Ten months later the island was conquered by the French, allies of the Dutch in this war. The Dutch regained command over the island in 1784.

At its peak Sint Eustatius may have had a population of over 20,000 people. In the time since, this has gradually slumped to 3,600, and Sint Eustatius is eclipsed by Curaçao and Sint Maarten.





_______________________________________________________________________________________



Bonaire


Kralendijk,Bonaire


______________________________________________________________________________


ARUBA




Oranjestad

History
Discovered and claimed for Spain in 1499, Aruba was conquered by the Dutch in 1636. The island's economy has been dominated by three main industries. A 19th-century gold rush was followed by prosperity brought on by the opening in 1924 of an oil refinery which supplied a large percentage of US oil during WWII. The last decades of the 20th century saw a boom in the tourism industry.

Aruba seceded from the Netherlands Antilles on January 1, 1986, and became a separate, self-governing member of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Movement toward full independence by 1996 was halted at Aruba's request in 1990.

Politics
Aruba is a part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, but maintains full control over its own affairs except for issues dealing with national defence, citizenship, foreign affairs, and extradition. Aruba has its own laws, constitution, government, and currency.

The Aruban head of state is the ruling monarch of the Netherlands, who is represented in Aruba by a governor, appointed for a six-year term. The head of government is the Prime Minister, who forms, together with the Council of Ministers, the executive branch of the government.

They are elected by the parliament, the unicameral Legislature or Staten, which holds 21 seats. Members are elected by direct, popular vote to serve four-year terms.

Geography
Aruba is a generally flat, riverless island renowned for its white sand beaches. Most of these are located on the western and southern coasts of the island, which are relatively sheltered from fierce ocean currents. The northern and eastern coasts, lacking this protection, are considerably more battered by the sea and have been left largely untouched by humans. The interior of the island features some rolling hills, the better two of which are called Hooiberg at 165 metres (541 ft) and Mount Jamanota, which is the highest on the island, at 188 metres (617 ft) above sea level. Oranjestad, the capital, is located at 12°19′N 70°1′W.

As a separate member state of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, the island/state has no administrative subdivisions. On the east are Curaçao and Bonaire, two island territories which form the southwest part of the Netherlands Antilles; Aruba and these two Netherlands Antilles islands are also known as the ABC islands.


Oranjestad port



 

·
__________
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curacao



The Palace of the Dutch Governor-General of the Netherlands Antilles.



(Sorry, Dutch only)

In 1634 veroverden de Nederlanders, onder leiding van Johan van Walbeeck, Curaçao op de Spanjaarden. Curaçao werd beschouwd als een strategisch gelegen eiland van waaruit kon worden getracht de Spanjaarden te bestrijden. Daarnaast was Curacao -en ook Bonaire- van groot belang voor de zoutwinning. Grootste prioriteit was de bouw van een fort waarmee het eiland kon worden verdedigd. De monding van de Sint Annabaai bood hiertoe een uitgelezen plaats en op deze plek, het centrum van het eiland, werd Fort Amsterdam gebouwd, waaromheen (eerder naast dan omheen) vervolgens Willemstad verrees.

Het paleis staat op dezelfde plaats waar in 1635 het eerste fort werd gebouwd. In de daaropvolgende twee jaren werd hier de eerste woning van de vertegenwoordiger van de West-Indische Compagnie, de directeur, aan toe gevoegd. Deze voorloper van het Gouvernementspaleis was een twee verdiepingen tellend houten gebouw, waarvoor het meeste materiaal uit Amsterdam was meegenomen.

Oorspronkelijk werd de benedenverdieping alleen gebruikt als opslagplaats voor de West-Indische Compagnie (WIC). De eerste verdieping werd gebruikt als woonhuis van de directeur. Niet veel later werd echter ook de begane grond bij het woonhuis getrokken. Hier bevond zich een grote eetzaal waar Van Walbeeck zijn dagelijkse gasten ontving. Onder deze gasten waren de geestelijken en de officieren van de WIC. Dezen waren gerechtigd om bij de directeur de maaltijd te gebruiken en de ambtswoning fungeerde daarom tegelijkertijd als officiersmess.

Niet veel later werd het houten gebouw vervangen door een stenen woning, die de kern vormt van het huidige paleis. De stijl is in de loop der eeuwen echter aanzienlijk veranderd, zoals bv. aan de ramen kan worden gezien. Het oudste deel van het gebouw bestond uit een gesloten paviljoen aan de voorzijde, dat door zijn lengte in twee vleugels werd gesplitst, met een centrale hal of passage in het midden. Niet lang na de eerste bouw werd aan de achterzijde het tweede paviljoen, met de monumentale dubbele trap ervoor, toegevoegd. In 1765 vond de uitbreiding met een open galerij aan de havenzijde plaats. In deze staat bleef het gebouw circa honderd jaar, zonder wijzigingen.

Tot 1860 fungeerde het gouvernementspaleis tevens als zetel van verschillende bestuursorganen. Door de jaren heen hebben de ruimtes onder het paleis als opslagplaats, als gevangenis en als wachthuis gediend. De gevangenis werd in de tijd van de Westindische Compagnie wel eens gebruikt voor het vastzetten van opponenten van de directeur. Directeur Van Liebergen bijvoorbeeld (1679 - 1683), besteedde het meest van zijn tijd aan privé-zaken en liet het bestuur over aan zijn staf. Als handelaar had hij vele concurrenten. Indien ze een te groot gevaar voor zijn handelsbelangen werden, belandden ze zonder proces in het gevang.

De eerste klachten over de slechte staat van het paleis dateren uit 1761 toen de net aangetreden directeur van Bosveld (1761-1762) zich over de toestand van het gebouw beklaagde. Overigens vond hij het gebouw ook veel te groot voor zijn behoeften.
Ook de Britten, die in de Napoleontische tijd de Nederlandse bezittingen in de West hadden veroverd en van 1800 tot 1816 Curaçao bestuurden, vonden het gebouw ongeschikt voor bewoning. De Britse gouverneurs (maar liefst 18 in 16 jaar tijds) lieten voor zichzelf de villa Belle Alliance aan de Penstraat bouwen.
Na het einde van de Franse tijd kwam "Curaçao en onderhorigheden" onder het bestuur van Koning Willem I te staan die zich door een gouverneur liet vertegenwoordigen. Zowel Gouverneur Kikkert (1816 - 1819) als zijn opvolger Cantzlaar (1820 - 1828) verkozen La Belle Alliance boven het paleis. Gouverneur Baron Van Raders (1836 - 1845) gaf de voorkeur aan het landhuis Habaai, eigendom van de familie Van der Meulen. Daar ontwikkelde zich een romance die leidde tot zijn huwelijk met de oudste dochter van Jan van der Meulen.

Vanaf het midden van de 19e eeuw wordt de geschiedenis van het paleis gekenmerkt door continue en intensieve verbouwingen. De introductie van de stoomvaart had een wezenlijke verandering teweeggebracht in het sociale leven in de Europese koloniën, omdat het nu voor het eerst mogelijk werd dat Europese dames met een zekere mate van comfort de overtocht naar de West of de Oost konden ondernemen. Daarmee verdween de oude stijl van samen werken en samen leven die het bestaan van de bestuursambtenaren tot dusver had gekenmerkt. De gezamenlijke maaltijden in het paleis van mannen onder elkaar behoorden tot het verleden, terwijl de echtgenotes van de gouverneurs van hun kant een stijl en comfort in het paleis wilden zien die vergelijkbaar was met hetgeen “in patria” gebruikelijk was.


Het behoeft dan ook niet te verbazen dat vanaf deze tijd de brieven van de gouverneurs aan Den Haag indringender ingaan op de toestand van het gebouw. Zo vond Gouverneur Van Lansberge bijv. (1856 - 1859), anders dan zijn verre voorganger van Bosveld, het gebouw veel te klein. Nu had hij negen kinderen hetgeen hem noodzaakte de eetzaal voor de eigen familie te reserveren en de grote zaal te gebruiken als hij gasten te dineren had.
Een andere klacht betrof de voortdurende en ondraaglijke stank die werd veroorzaakt door de rum en de kalksteen die in die tijd nog in de benedenverdieping werd opgeslagen. In 1866, slechts vier dagen nadat De Rouville (1866 - 1870) zijn entree als gouverneur in het paleis had gemaakt, schreef hij een brief naar de Minister van Buitenlandse Zaken en Koloniën, waarin hij stelde dat hij alleen met grote weerzin over de huidige staat van het gebouw kon schrijven; het was toe aan een grondige restauratie. De Rouville verkoos dan ook een eigen woning in Otrobanda te betrekken; de statige villa Belvedere.

In de jaren 1868-1870 werden intensieve verbouwingsplannen gemaakt. Het hoofddoel van al deze plannen was om het uiterlijk van het gebouw zijn waardigheid terug te geven en tegelijkertijd meer ruimte te creëren. De uiteindelijke verbouwing bleef echter beperkt tot het bijtrekken van de open galerij tot het hoofdgebouw, de omzetting van de geprojecteerde balkonkamer in een “hangend” balkon, het aanbrengen van klassieke ornamenten aan de nieuwe voorfaçade en aan de oude achterfaçade. In dit proces is de oorspronkelijke eenvoud van stijl aan de achterzijde verdwenen. De renovaties hadden ook betrekking op de overkapping, waarbij de gracieus gekrulde liggers werden weggehaald.

Maar ook deze verbouwing maakte het paleis niet duurzaam bewoonbaar. In de periode dat Gouverneur Barge aan het bewind was (1890 - 1901), werd een nieuwe verbouwing noodzakelijk geacht. Gedurende de verbouwingswerkzaamheden verbleef de gouverneur met zijn gezin in landhuis Quintz, het huidige landhuis Groot Davelaar. Blijkbaar is deze verbouwing afdoende geweest om aan de eisen van de tijd te beantwoorden, want pas tijdens het gouverneurschap van professor Römer (1983 -1990) werd een grote restauratie noodzakelijk gevonden. Gedurende de periode dat het paleis werd verbouwd verbleef de gouverneur in landhuis Santa Barbara.

De geschiedenis van het paleis zou onvolledig zijn indien niet ook werd vermeld dat de Directeuren van de WIC ook een buitenverblijf tot hun beschikking hadden waar zij de weekeinden konden doorbrengen. Hiertoe werden de plantages Hato en Blenheim gebruikt. (Overigens ook andere plantages, zoals Blauw werden gebruikt).
De gouverneurs hebben een tijdlang ook de beschikking gehad over een eigen vaartuig, een zgn. "ponchi" dat werd voortbewogen door met een roeispaan te wrikken. Dit bootje was voor de aanleg van de pontjesbrug noodzakelijk om Otrabanda en Scharloo te bezoeken. Daarnaast werd het ook wel gebruikt om in het Schottegat mee te gaan vissen of om met de dames op krabbenjacht te gaan.

Vandaag de dag is het niet nodig de Gouverneur naast het gebruik van het paleis nog andere woonruimte ter beschikking te stellen. Wat slechts weinigen weten is dat de Gouverneur buiten het paleis niettemin nog een andere ruimte als de zijne kan beschouwen. Op het ministerie van Algemene Zaken in Den Haag kunnen de gouverneurs van de Nederlandse Antillen en van Aruba desgewenst gebruik maken van een vertrek dat hen te allen tijde ter beschikking staat.

Wat het Gouverneurspaleis in Willemstad betreft is het thans zaak dit oude historische gebouw ook voor toekomstige generaties te bewaren. De bouwwijze die in de 17e eeuw werd gehanteerd met gebruikmaking van gestampte koraal als basis voor cement betekent dat de muren van het Paleis te lijden hebben onder de zgn. muurkanker. Het zout in het koraal trekt zoveel vocht aan dat op sommige plaatsen het zelfs een maal per jaar opnieuw schilderen niet voldoende is om de muren schoon en strak te houden. Het behoeft dan ook niet te verbazen dat de zorg voor dit gebouw een bijna dagelijks onderwerp van aandacht vormt voor het Kabinet van de Gouverneur.

Met dank aan het Nationaal Archief.
http://www.gouverneur.an/06.html











 

·
__________
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Willemstad Synagogue, 1732



Mikve Israel Emanuel Synagogue in Curacao, Oldest synagogue in the New World.(1732 )

Age, sand and a powerful 139-year-old pipe organ recently restored as a gift of the Netherlands government are what distinguish the Mikve-Israel Emanuel Synagogue, one of Curacao's historic treasures.

It was a short walk across a floating pedestrian bridge supported by 16 pontoon boats near where our cruise ship, the Crystal Harmony, docked.

Occupying almost an entire block in the heart of downtown Willemstad, capital of the Netherlands Antilles, the stately lemon-colored building is the western hemisphere's oldest continuously operated synagogue.

It was built in 1732 nearly 100 years after the first Jews, mostly Sephardics fleeing persecution in Europe, arrived. More than 2,000 of them ultimately found refuge on the western Caribbean island.

Today, they number less than 600 of the island's 160,000 residents, own about 100 of the 1,000-plus businesses registered with the Chamber of Commerce and hold no government posts, says Elise Krijt, a spokeswoman for the synagogue's board of directors.

However, in Willemstad, the Antilles commercial hub, a third of the merchants are Jewish.

"We read about anti-Semitic incidents elsewhere, but we haven't experienced any here," Krijt adds.

About 80 percent of Curacao residents are Catholic, but Protestant, Muslim, Baptist, Adventist, Jehovah's Witness, Mormon and Methodist houses of worship dot the island, serving the needs of 55 different cultures.

Early on, the synagogue earned a reputation as "The Mother of Jewish Congregations in the Americas" because its members helped initiate and finance Jewish congregations in many North and South American communities, including Newport, R.I., home of America's oldest Jewish temple, the Touro Synagogue, in 1763.

A $2 entry fee opens Mikve-Israel's doors to visitors, and on a sunny day many were lining up to see the 273-year-old landmark and its adjoining museum.

"Only a very small percentage of our $350,000 annual operating expense comes from the admissions," Krijt explains.

"We employ a full-time rabbi, who conducts services every Friday evening and Saturday morning and on the first and last day of Jewish festivals."

He is Boston-born Gerald Zelermyer, 65, a graduate of New York's Theological Seminary of America who retired two years ago after 20 years as spiritual leader of the Emanuel Synagogue in West Hartford, Conn. He and his U.S.-educated, Curacaoan-born wife of 20 years, Heske, moved to the island in 2002.

His 300-member Willemstad congregation is affiliated with the liberal fourth movement of Judaism, the Jewish Reconstructionist Federation and the World Union of Progressive Judaism.

Reconstructionists, according to their proponents, do not believe in the supernatural origin of the Torah but take seriously Jewish traditions and adapt to new circumstances.

Another island synagogue, the Orthodox Shaarel Tsedek, has 150 members.

A thick layer of sand, some of which is said to have come from Israel, covers Mikve-Israel's floor. It serves as symbolic reminders of the exodus of Jews from Egypt and their 40 years of desert wanderings and the 15th-century Inquisition in Spain and Portugal. To muffle the sound of their secret prayer services during the Inquisition period, European Jews often covered their creaking wooden floors with sand.

The building's plain interior - coral and white limestone walls, vaulted ceiling and mahogany pews and benches - contrasts sharply with its striking exterior faݡde with blue glass windows. A 346-year-old Torah is still in use.

Four brass, 24-stem chandeliers with Dutch Delft patterns tower amidst four pillars. The organ, perched on a loft, is played during services that are conducted in English and Hebrew.

The chandeliers are only lit during the sacred annual Yom Kippur Kol Nidre service and for weddings and other special occasions because they have to be dismantled, cleaned and replaced before use. And that can require nearly a half day's work.

Some Jewish customs differ from those in the United States - weddings in particular. Instead of crunching a wine glass with his foot, the groom tosses the glass into a wedding tray. A 300-year-old wedding tray is among the artifacts exhibited in the synagogue's museum.

A rectangular 12-square-foot mikvah, the traditional bath used to ensure female ritual purity, extends from a brick wall near the museum entrance. Neglected and seemingly abandoned, it had about a foot of cloudy rainwater.

Dutch is the official language, but multiracial islanders also speak English, Spanish and Papiamentu, a Creole patois.





 

·
alquimista animista
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
What a beautiful place de ABC islands and the governors palace is just amazing. Thanks for the thread Nemo.
 

·
__________
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dutch caribian/colonial architecture, Curacao


Landhuis Zeelandia


















Haaibaai Esate, 1750.


Groot Davelaar Estate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
That's incredibly beautiful! so in what language do public/private schools teach? Dutch, English? Also, are ethnic Dutch a big group there? Thanks for sharing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
873 Posts
Awesome! Such a great report of the Islands. You only miss the Demography, but besides that, one of the best threads I've seen Here. Great Job, and now I know why your biggest industry is the tourism, because I just want to get there!
 
1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Top