Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Endorsed by the NRA
SSC User of the Year 1987
25,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Flanders' largest city, home to diamonds and a seaport.

Statue of Peter Paul Rubens with the city's cathedral in the background:

Antwerpen / Antwerp

Close-up of the cathedral (Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekathedraal) tower. Consecrated in 1521, its 2nd tower was never completed.

Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekathedraal

Antwerpen / Antwerp

Antwerpen / Antwerp

Antwerp's city hall and the "Brabo Fountain". The Brabo fountain depicts how the city (supposedly) received its name.

According to folklore, and as celebrated by the statue in front of the town hall, the city got its name from a legend involving a mythical giant called Antigoon who lived near the river Scheldt. He exacted a toll from those crossing the river, and for those who refused, he severed one of their hands and threw it into the river Scheldt. Eventually, the giant was slain by a young hero named Brabo, who cut off the giant's own hand and flung it into the river. Hence the name Antwerpen, from Dutch hand werpen—akin to Old English hand and wearpan (= to throw), which has changed to today's warp.​

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antwerp#Origin_of_the_name

Antwerpen / Antwerp City Hall

Antwerpen / Antwerp

to be continued...

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I've never been to Antwerp, but have heard good things about it. A city of culture and design I've been told, and by the looks of it, great architecture too. I would like to go just to see the grand railway station which I've seen in pictures. Someone once described Antwerp as the 'Milan of the low countries'. So, is Antwerp a beautiful city? Of course that is subjective, but by popular concensus what would it be considered I wonder?

Also, is this building part of the railway station and what is it exactly?

Thanks!

·
Endorsed by the NRA
SSC User of the Year 1987
25,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's actually a shopping center, about half a kilometer away from the train station. I'm not sure how big fashion is in Antwerp but it's definitely quite a nice city imo.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
5,186 Posts
^^ Lovely pictures! :cheers:

I've never been to Antwerp, but have heard good things about it. A city of culture and design I've been told, and by the looks of it, great architecture too. I would like to go just to see the grand railway station which I've seen in pictures. Someone once described Antwerp as the 'Milan of the low countries'. So, is Antwerp a beautiful city? Of course that is subjective, but by popular concensus what would it be considered I wonder?

Also, is this building part of the railway station and what is it exactly?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8440/7818385410_0974e183d1_o.jpg

Thanks!

No, it's not part of the railway station like Kampflamm said it's a "shoppingcenter" called Stadsfeestzaal.

This is how the inside looks like

(Sorry for posting 2 pics in your thread Kampflamm , hope you don't mind :))

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Mindblowing as usual :)

·
Bike It!
22,259 Posts
Great pics of a great city. Was there last weekend for the gorgeous Jazz Middelheim Festival. This city has got the right vibes!
Keep them coming Kampflamm!

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.