SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Pittsburg is losing population and cleveland is either not growing at all, or losing population.

Another thing I know about Youngstown is that Youngstown is in Ohio... :)

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
Youngstown is an old industrial town that collapsed when the steel industry went in decline. Political corruption and a horrible job climate have killed this once great city. Youngstown is in terrible condition and may or may not ever grow again.

·
lagom
1,537 Posts
i doubt it will grow again ever.... i still have relatives there that wont leave even though its shitty which is unfortunate because theres great architecture there

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

Downtown Youngstown in 1960

Youngstown Metro Population:
Population, 1960-2000
1960 1970 1980 1990 2000
Total 616,010 645,434 644,922 600,895 594,746
Change 29,424 -512 -44,027 -6,149
Percent Change 4.78% -0.08% -6.83% -1.02%

·
Registered
72 Posts
denvernative1982 said:
Its close to Cleveland and Pittsburgh, so why isnt it gaining in population.
I don't know if you meant for that to be hilarious, but it is. I'm assuming that you were being facetious.

"The kid's parents are Queen Latifah and Chris Rock, so why isn't it white?"

But seriously, Youngstown is dying just like Cleveland and Pittsburgh, but it doesn't have the size and critical mass of those other two to help it hang on to the cliff with it's middle and ring fingers. So Youngstown has fallen into the abyss, and I doubt that it will ever climb back out.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Here is a brief history of Youngstown. "Youngstown, city (1990 pop. 95,732), seat of Mahoning co., NE Ohio, near the Pa. line; founded 1797, inc. 1849. It was formerly a major U.S. iron and steel center. As of the 1970s, many of the steel mills there closed, and the population of the city fell significantly. Steel is still minimally produced; other manufactures include rubber goods, electric lamps, light machinery, aluminum goods, and household items. Discovery of iron ore, coal, and limestone led to the construction of the first iron furnace in 1803. The city's growth was spurred by the opening of the Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal (1839), the arrival of the railroad (1853), and the establishment of steel plants in the 1890s. It is the seat of Youngstown State Univ. and Butler Art Institute. The city also has a community playhouse, a symphony center, and a park."

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
There is virtually nothing in downtown Youngstown. Nearly everything has moved to the suburbs, particularly Boardman Township, which is along route 224 just south of the city.

·
Go drink a six-pack!
1,014 Posts
You've heard people lament the deline of cities with a dominant industrial/manufacturing economy, that "put all of their eggs in one basket." Well, it's doubly true for Youngstown; the city had only industry -- and just the steel industry at that -- and little else. It might have recovered somewhat if it were a bit more isolated, but with Cleveland and Pittsburgh nearby, it's always going to stay in the shadows. What advantage does Youngstown have over Cleveland and Pittsburgh now? None.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Youngstown is hard up, don't get me wrong. However, there is SOME resurgance- a new arena/civic center is being built downtown, and mahoning plaza is being renovated!

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
It's a run-down old steel manufacturing town, much like Gary, Indiana. But has a lot of pre-world war II buildings in its downtown. I didn't even know downtown Youngstown was getting a new arena. How big will it be, like seats, and stuff like that.

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
It is going to hold 5,500 people and be home to a minor league hockey team.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Youngstown was very dependent on steel and other industry (and still is). However, the area has a low cost of living and is flat with a good infrastructure. If leaders could their act together, it could have a chance. It really is only about an hour to Cleveland or Pittsburgh.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts