SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine works for Amtrak and sometimes work the LA to Chicago route.
She called me yesterday asking me if I knew of a some nice live jazz clubs in the city. I had just read an article in some information I received from a local forumer abou the Cotton Club on Michigan & 18th Street.

Well she made reservations and decided to check it out. I received a call tonight as she gave her opinon about the place. She was not happy with the fact that it took 3 times for the bartender to get her dirty martini made right. The mucicians was suppose to start their set at 10pm , and at 10:45pm only two of the band members had arrived.

She said the room where the live jazz will be played had only two tables with patrons, all the rest were empty. In the back room there is a D.J. and lots of thuggish looking folks were heading into the back. What she said disappointed her the most was when she called earlier to reserved a table, she asked about the clientale. They told her it was business professional types, which so far those folks haven't arrived. She was still willing to hang around for a little while longer to see if things get better. Also I asked her about the area, and he thoughts was it looked like Compton, and downtown Los Angeles east side.

Well as you know I kind of felt bad telling her about this club. I had also mentioned to her yesterday to check out Wicker Park. She told me she had been to this area before. I think she's looking for an upscale jazz club where it would be easy take a cab, and close to her hotel downtown. I know she used to hang out at the more upscale clubs like Carlos & Charlie (when it was in business) where many of the black celebs would frequent.

Anyway she a tough black woman, very good looking, and classy. At the same time she's very down to earth, but her taste is more upscale and laid back. No loud roudy, thuggish club wont be acceptable, but something rather laid back. BTW she's not your typical Amtrak blue collar worker. She was once, some type of executive for a large transport corporation She ended up quiting her job, and started with another company promoting Red Bull when it first came out. Not long she decided she wanted a less stressful job,and just quit. Trust me she is probably the best looking woman on Amtrak trains.

So any suggestions from you locals of a jazz club that might fit her taste. She comes to Chicago often, so I will pass this on. BTW she's an east coast girl, but been in LA since high school so hopefully that will help you understand her personality.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay she just called me back a few mins ago and left me a voice msg that the place turn out to be much better. She even said she'll probably check it out again on other trips to the city. I tried to call her back, but I guess she's to busy having a good time to pick up the phone :cheers: . Anyway I suppose to meet up with her on Tuesday as she lives in downtown LA. She said there are a few nice live jazz clubs downtown that she discovered, so I guess I'll will going to check them out.

Still I would like to hear of some nice Chicago jazz clubs to recommend to her.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Green Dolphin Street.

A quiet and elegant hangout place for jazz listeners. On Tuesday night, there is a samba night for serious dancers. It was cool watching them dance.

·
Registered
469 Posts
pottebaum said:
I'm not sure if its what you're looking for, but I heard Howl at the Moon is a really fun place.
Probably not. That is a piano bar off Dearborn and Hubbard.

It can be a fun place depending on what you're looking for. Personally, I don't care for it...but that's just because pianos annoy me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Outside of New York, Chicago probably has the best jazz clubs in the country. The Green Mill suggestion is a good one; it's a cab ride uptown (to Uptown, on Broadway), but it's a classic 1920's club. Capone used to own it, I think, and it hasn't been redecorated since. If you saw the movie High Fidelity, it was in that...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks I'll let her know about the ones mentioned. She called me this morning from her hotel to let me know again that the entertainment was very good at the Cotton Club. She said its a hole in the wall type of dive, and the crowd in the back club wasn't her type. Yet the room with the live band was nice, and the patons were more classy. To make a long story short, she she met some people, ate some food and didn't leave until 4am. I just can't believe she was wide awake and up on the roof at the hotel lounging. She is leaving this afternoon back to LA, but I for sure pass this on for her next trip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts