Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any English based movies filmed in Madrid?Or are there any decent books in English about Madrid?
There doesn't seem to be at all.You get the usual bombardment of movies filmed in the usual cities,New York,Paris Venice,Rome,Toronto,Vancouver etc....Heck you even see movies filmed in Sydney,Barcelona or Melbourne.Much better known cities anyway.
Books.Paris from the sky,New York from the sky,Sydney from the sky,Barcelona architecture etc......
When in Madrid i saw a couple of hollywood actors appear in good ole telemadrid,when asked if they liked Madrid they obviously said yes.Duh.They would say yes if they were in La Paz.
Yet no one ever dares make a movie or publish a proper book in the English speaking language.Ahhhhhhhhh Madrid the great unknown.Why?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have always aksed myself the same thing. Apparently the only important living director that usually sets his movies in Madrid is Pedro Almodovar, but he is a Spaniard.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
"Abre los ojos", directed by Alejandro Amenábar ("The Others", "The Sea Inside"), though in Spanish. Then remaked by Tom Cruise as "Vanilla Sky".

But it's a very Madrilian movie, since you can easily see many different locations in the city; most recognizable is Gran Via (Madrid "5th Ave") completely empty and the main role running through the street.

·
Discreto
91 Posts
For the people in Hollywood, Europe is: Paris, Rome and London in rare cases Amsterdam, Moscow, ... incredible cities like Praha, Lisbon, Madrid etc... just doesn't exist. Narrow mind people... or maybe are the viewer target of it's movies.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
There was an excellent Spanish movie filmed in Madrid that I can't remember its name in spanish, but in english it's The Lovers of the Arctic Circle. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nick in Atlanta said:
There was an excellent Spanish movie filmed in Madrid that I can't remember its name in spanish, but in english it's The Lovers of the Arctic Circle. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I actually saw that film now that i remember.The thing is that it doesn't let you know it's filmed there.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fusionist said:
Many scenes of one of the all time great movies was filmed in and around Madrid.. Dr Zhivago

Here is a shot..

Wow.I never knew that.But again it isn't actually set in Madrid.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ckm said:
"Abre los ojos", directed by Alejandro Amenábar ("The Others", "The Sea Inside"), though in Spanish. Then remaked by Tom Cruise as "Vanilla Sky".

But it's a very Madrilian movie, since you can easily see many different locations in the city; most recognizable is Gran Via (Madrid "5th Ave") completely empty and the main role running through the street.

I,ve actually seen Vanilla sky and Abre los ojos.And thoroughly enjoyed the latter alot more.Amenabar is a Chilean director too.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dewback said:
I have always aksed myself the same thing. Apparently the only important living director that usually sets his movies in Madrid is Pedro Almodovar, but he is a Spaniard.

Almodovar must be the greatest Madrid marketing figure ever.He sure seems to love the place.

·
Registered
209 Posts
-anti-alias- said:
For the people in Hollywood, Europe is: Paris, Rome and London in rare cases Amsterdam, Moscow, ... incredible cities like Praha, Lisbon, Madrid etc... just doesn't exist. Narrow mind people... or maybe are the viewer target of it's movies.
Praha is filmed in xXx

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I,ve also definately seen movies filmed in Amsterdam,Moscow,Budapest,Barcelona etc...And Venice must also be one of the most filmed cities ever.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Praha, for example, is becoming the new capital of the european film-cities. Berlin becomes more interesting for the filmindustry too...but Madrid...hmm.
I think there are just a few films playing in Madrid, though it is really beautiful.

·
Discreto
91 Posts
Peshu said:
I,ve actually seen Vanilla sky and Abre los ojos.And thoroughly enjoyed the latter a lot more.Amenabar is a Chilean director too.
Nope, he's from Spain.

Biography for
Alejandro Amenábar

Is the son of a Spanish mother and a Chilean father. His family moved back to Spain when he was 1 year old, and he grew up and studied in Madrid. He wrote, produced and directed his first short film La cabeza at the age of 19, and he was 23 when he directed his feature debut Tesis (1996). His film Abre los ojos (1997) was a huge success in Spain and was distributed worldwide. It was remade in Hollywood by Cameron Crowe as Vanilla Sky (2001), starring Tom Cruise, Penelope Cruz (also the star of the original version) and Cameron Diaz. The Others (2001) is Amenábar's first English language film....

From Movie Database

·
Discreto
91 Posts
-anti-alias- said:
Quote to myself!

:hahaha: :hahaha:

I've just watch the movie "the core" (I promise), guess which three cities appears in the film when happens things to Europe....... London, Rome and Paris.

:tyty: :nocrook:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts