SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
The funny thing is that I knew people who lived there before it became the Versace Mansion. It was called the 'Amsterdam Palace' back then and was basically subdivided into a bunch of cheap apartments. A couple of them contained some punk rockers I was friends with at the time (mid 1980's). The building was largely in disrepair then but I remember walking all around the courtyard and outdoor hallways enjoying some of the cool architectural features.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The funny thing is that I knew people who lived there before it became the Versace Mansion. It was called the 'Amsterdam Palace' back then and was basically subdivided into a bunch of cheap apartments. A couple of them contained some punk rockers I was friends with at the time (mid 1980's). The building was largely in disrepair then but I remember walking all around the courtyard and outdoor hallways enjoying some of the cool architectural features.
Do you remember how that building Gianni destroyed and replaced with a new wing looked like?

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Do you remember how that building Gianni destroyed and replaced with a new wing looked like?
Kinda/sorta.

It was a LONG time ago. But when it was 'Amsterdam Palace' it was basically the Mediterranean design. Big, square courtyard surrounded by two floors of open walkways. Itilianate style, barrel roof, etc. It was in total disrepair but I'm sure you can picture it.

Not all that different from LOT'S of properties in South Florida from that era. Even the elementary school I went to (William Jennings Bryan) in North Miami had a very similar layout and was built in roughly the same timeframe. Miami High is another.

As for what he "destroyed" I can't be sure without pic evidence. I would say whoever his 'scout' was back in the day picked a great building with good bones to rescue and turn into a pleasure palace, even if I used to chuckle knowing what went on in the same spot just a few years prior. :cheers:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yeah...I remember that my friends bought the Revere and were in the middle of rehabbing it when Versace offered them $8M+ a few months later. That was a huge profit in a very short time for them. They then bought the Ocean Front hotel at 1226 Ocean Drive (or so).

The Revere wasn't an old Deco hotel, but more 50's MiMo.

·
Registered
898 Posts
But when it was 'Amsterdam Palace' it was basically the Mediterranean design. Big, square courtyard surrounded by two floors of open walkways. Itilianate style, barrel roof, etc. It was in total disrepair but I'm sure you can picture it.
The Amsterdam Palace's courtyard was a replica of a building Christoper Columbus' son built (in Santo Domingo, DR, I think).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts