SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Head Knockin' Forever
12,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANZAC Day in Gallipoli - Turkey

Guys, we have opened a thread about ANZAC Day in Gallipoli in Turkey Forum.

We would like to see your ideas and the photos that you would like to share. :cheers1:

Please follow the link ;)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=206072

·
Registered
77,011 Posts
well, a year has past since this thread was posted. Anzac day has come and gone. did anyone attend any services?
the crowds are growing by the year apparently.No more soldiers alive from WW1 now.
the Gallipoli service had no grog or music this time round.very formal indeed.
heres to the diggers :cheers:

front page of SMH today

·
Registered
0 Posts
We completely missed out on Anzac Day. Pretty sad really, especially being in the ADF.

There is talk about making another day in the next few weeks to make up for it.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
the only good thing about living in euro tower (the only good thing) is that i can see the parade going down bathurst street- the entire 3 hours of it! very very very early in the morning :p

·
Premium Member
9,529 Posts
I was at the Brisbane parade, it was excellent as always, very good turn-out, and I love hearing the F1-11 at low level over the city.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
big turn out in perth i heard numbers around 40,000 for the dawn service and similar for the march, and it was raining too

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
I stayed overnight at Gallipoli and was there for the dawn service. I have never felt so much pride for being Australian I tell you.

It was a very cold night, I laid down on hard grass and was squashed in, got no sleep and spent the next day in the sun trying to get out and got badly sunburnt - talk about extreme weather conditions!

Still it gave me a feel of what the ANZACs had to deal with.

One of hte best things I have ever done and I encourage anyone who gets a chance to go and do it.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
We all need to remember that as Australian's what makes us unique tot he rest of the world is where we have come from and the mix of cultures and not war. Yes, we shoudl honour the ANZACs but the ANZACs did not make Australia, they are part of Australia, like the early pioneers who came to this harsh land in the 1780s, the migrants post WWII and the men & women during Federation. They are all what makes us Australian's.

·
Premium Member
9,529 Posts
I went in 2003, it really is a great thing to do, it's amazing to see the places where it all happened. One look at the steep ridges and gullies, and imagining machine guns at the top gives you a total appreciation of the bravery involved.

I was very impresed with the Turkish locals as well, who are very friendly and welcoming, it's a very important part of their history too of course.

Istanbul is also an amazing city, have you got any photos Ryan79?

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
fellas, it's ANZAC Day, not Anzac. It's just out of respect for those who take the event at heart. Every letter in the acrynam counts and its out of common decency. I know i'm picky and the media does it all the time, but i think this should be pointed out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
^^
You are completley right, but I don't think there's any disrespect. If anything, it is a testimate to how much people regard the ANZACs, as it has become a word in its own right.

But yes, technically it should be capatalised.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
Aussie Bhoy said:
I went in 2003, it really is a great thing to do, it's amazing to see the places where it all happened. One look at the steep ridges and gullies, and imagining machine guns at the top gives you a total appreciation of the bravery involved.

I was very impresed with the Turkish locals as well, who are very friendly and welcoming, it's a very important part of their history too of course.

Istanbul is also an amazing city, have you got any photos Ryan79?
Your right. I was laying in my sleeping bag and was slipping down the slope that we camp out on. It was funny how things like that trigger off thoughts. I mean these guys lived on the slopes for ages without any comfort trying to battle through gunfire and advance.

I also did the walk from Gallipoli up the steep slope to the Australian memorial service and it was dam hard. It really does give you an impression of how impossible their mission was yet they stuck it out for 8 months!

And the local are great - even in Istanbul so many of the locals will pull you up and chat when they see your Australian symbols on your clothing or bag.

very friendly people and it is a very important day for the Turkish people who lost 60,000 of their own people in this battle and were introduced to the Australian people for the very first time and we could not have had better ambassadors for our country. This has made such a lasting impression on the Turkish people.

I have many photos of the service and Istanbul but can't post photos.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
Aussie Steve said:
We all need to remember that as Australian's what makes us unique tot he rest of the world is where we have come from and the mix of cultures and not war. Yes, we shoudl honour the ANZACs but the ANZACs did not make Australia, they are part of Australia, like the early pioneers who came to this harsh land in the 1780s, the migrants post WWII and the men & women during Federation. They are all what makes us Australian's.
Hmmm probably not appropriate for this thread. But I under estimated the importance of this event in the history of Australia myself until now. Heres some reasons why it is so important.

It was the first time there was an actual Asutralian army in action - previously armies were seperate from different colonies.

Secondly, the ANZACs actions gained huge respect from many people all over the world, not just the Turkish, but the English and the German as well as others.

Thirdly, this effort has made a very lasting impression to people all over the world still to this day.

And last but not least the ANZACs spirit represents the spirit most Australian carry with them today, such as grit and determination, friendly towards all people regardless of who they were, helping a mate in need with no questions asked and no reward expected etc. It can be argued that the ANZACs helped shaped this national identity for us that we still use today.

There is no doubt other things have happened along the way that have built this country and made it great but this single moment of history could probably be described as the first time Australia showed the world what we were made of.

And in light of ANZAC day I think the comment was not appropriate because if it wasn't for them you may not be here or have the right to say what you want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts