Votes: 10 1.1%
  • 3 or less

Votes: 39 4.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 512 Posts

·
Old School
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Aon Center
Chicago, USA

HEIGHT: 346m/1,136 feet
FLOORS: 83 floors
COMPLETION: 1973
ARCHITECT: Edward Durell Stone & Associates

The Aon Center in Chicago was completed in 1972. At 1,136 feet (346.3 m) tall, it is second only to the Sears Tower in height in Chicago. When the building was originally built, it was the world's tallest marble clad building. Eventually, the harsh climate caused the building's Carrara marble sheathing to fail and detach from the building. From 1990 to 1992, the entire building was refaced with white granite at a greater expense than the original cost of the whole structure. The building employs a tubular steel-framed structural system with V-shaped perimeter columns to resist earthquakes, reduce sway, minimize column bending, and maximize column-free space.

The Standard Oil Building or "Big Stan" as the building was often called was known officially as the Amoco Building. After the building was sold, it became known officially as the Aon Center.

In the early 1980s, the lights in selective offices in the building were turned on to form a huge cross in the Christmas season. It was a unique seasonal display in the Chicago skylines. It is unknown if such tradition is still in place nowadays given the energy conservation concerns.

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
8/10

It is a box. But it carries off being a box very well...no nonsense..sheer verticality. Thats how I feel it should be appreciated.

I guess its the tallest box after WTC?

·
born again cyclist
3,661 Posts
brilliant, so simple, elegant dignified. if you have to pic a stripped down basic box, this would be the one. wonderful porportions make the tower read as a giant fluted column.

i take a half point off because i think it would be even more beautiful if it had been clad with a black stone instead of the white granite, but oh well.

9.5/10

Reactions: mrsmartman

·
Don't be that guy!
1,097 Posts
BOXY, but nice and tall. It fits Chi-Town perfectly. 7/10

X

·
0 Posts
Tall, huge, big...ect. What ever word you may use to describe its hight, remember its still an ugly box!

3/10!

·
Registered
80 Posts
No tricks on height, although the same is true of design.

Though simple the results are still quite grand - IMO it's a glorious, bright monolith that is far from unsightly.

Probably the closest relative of the late WTC? Hence it's to be cherished.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You people don't appreciate "form follows function."

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
I think its a damn good box.

At its best when reflecting blinding light into your eyes.

8.5/10

S

·
0 Posts
3/10. I will agree that the proportions are nice, but other than that it is just another piece of dehumanizing 1970s crap architecture. That period had to be the low point in design history.

1 - 20 of 512 Posts