Skyscraper City Forum banner

Apartment in the city or house in the suburbs?

• Apartment in the city

Votes: 115 50.4%
  • House in the suburbs

Votes: 52 22.8%
  • Town house or small house in the city

Votes: 49 21.5%
  • Apartment in the suburbs

Votes: 12 5.3%
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been done in the past but given we have many new members i am curious to know what your opnion is.
So which type of dwelling do you prefer and why?

City Apartment

Suburban house

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
I'd rather live in an apartment in the city. It's far closer to everything, and depending on the city's public transport; you could easily live without having to own a car. The views tend to be better (unless you get the ass-end of a building), and the people more liberal/open minded.

·
Requiscat en pace
8,051 Posts
Both have their upsides but an apartment in the city if I go to uni. When I raise children though, I'd like to have a large house in the suburbs with a pool. This is the ideal environment for raising children in.

·
Unregistered User
2,601 Posts
I'm perfectly fine with anything. A place to live is a place to live.

Though I definitely wouldn't want to have to raise my kids in an apartment in the city.

·
Super Moderator
23,152 Posts
Small house or townhouse in the city or within a couple of minutes walk of the city, if I didn't have any kids then apartment in the city would be fine too.

Where I live isn't really a city but a smallish town of 75,000 but it still has an urban core with plenty of retail, commercial, leisure facilities, restaurants, bars, rail station etc and traffic congestion that means a big convenience advantage if you live near enough to walk in.

Other things being equal, the larger space of a detached suburban house would be great but other things aren't equal and the extra inconvenience of being further from everything outweighs the advantage of extra space for me.

As long as we have enough space that's fine by me and the 110sqm + small backyard we have at the moment is enough for two adults and two young children to live comfortably. When the children are bigger we will probably want a larger home with more outdoor space but I'd rather look for a bigger townhouse than go further out into the suburbs, I'd only move further out if I couldn't afford that bigger townhouse.

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Agree with most of the previous answers, it strongly depends on how the city is and it's urban layout, and how you access housing (rent vs ownership, indebtedness etc.)
In spanish cities which are virtually almost only covered by apartment, living in a suburban house implies huge costs and enormous distances, so I'd rather go for an apartment.
In Paris, an apartment is fine, but once you settle to have a family a 'pavillon' in the inner suburbs is what I would aim for. A pavillon is a small, urban (but often detached) house.

·
Riopretense
5,947 Posts
As a 19yr old, I'd rather go for the apartment. Maybe a cheap townhouse.

If I was married with kids, choice would be a good townhouse, or even a suburban house, with the condition it be no more than 7 miles from the very city centre of a 5 million inhabitant metro area.

·
on the road
leptokurtic
35,460 Posts
House in the suburbs as soon as I can afford one. I like the idea of not having to share the walls of my estate with any neighbor and having more privacy and seclusion when I'm home, so I can have more control about with whom I interact or not on a daily basis. Ideally, house should be more than 5km from workplace, and up to 60min peak driving commute time. 30min driving commute time with some highway sectors is ideal: enough time to cool and get mentally ready for a day at the university.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.