Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see the front page of the MEN today?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1007/1007836_posh_flats_let_for_parties.html

I am due to complete very shortly and have concerns about the location where i will be moving

I hear that they have numerous apartments in my block that are used for short stays this could cause obvious problems.

Whats peoples views on this - is it a major concern to have?

Also is there anyway on finding out who your neighbours are in your block ie are they private residents, renters or hotel stop rooms

Any info greatly appreciated

ta

·
Towerholic
1,421 Posts
Anyone see the front page of the MEN today?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1007/1007836_posh_flats_let_for_parties.html

I am due to complete very shortly and have concerns about the location where i will be moving

I hear that they have numerous apartments in my block that are used for short stays this could cause obvious problems.

Whats peoples views on this - is it a major concern to have?

Also is there anyway on finding out who your neighbours are in your block ie are they private residents, renters or hotel stop rooms

Any info greatly appreciated

ta
Obviously there is a possibility of problems with short term neighbours but to be honest a large amount of short term rentees are business people and tourists who stay for a month or two.
To be honest it's a lot of effort and prob not a reliable source of income to be renting out only for weekends to stags n hens. So i wouldn't worry too much, you can always fall back on conceirge (assuming you have one:) )

·
Registered
967 Posts
This has been going on for a few years now. In just about every apartment block, some of the apartments are used in this way. The MEN have done a number of interviews with people who have bought apartments to let them in this way.

They have also done stories on, how most apartment blocks in the city centre are not well ran. Problems with everything from dirty windows, communial areas, broken lifts to noisy neighbours that never seem to be reigned in. Not to forget the noise outside and drunks pissing at the entrance door to the block late at the weekends.

·
I love those crazy dutch
11,569 Posts
I lived in a city centre apartment for 6 months between August 06/February 07 and we had this going on a few floors below us, from what we found out, but it wasn't a huge worry and the company that ran the block (Dandara) did crack down on it and give the owners grief. Even still, wasn't much of a disturbance, more of an occasional annoyance. Which location in general is your new place located?

And uh, as for the pretty picture skyhigh paints, it might be like that at some locations but most of the newer places are well maintained from what I found in occupying and viewing.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I lived in a city centre apartment for 6 months between August 06/February 07 and we had this going on a few floors below us, from what we found out, but it wasn't a huge worry and the company that ran the block (Dandara) did crack down on it and give the owners grief. Even still, wasn't much of a disturbance, more of an occasional annoyance. Which location in general is your new place located?

And uh, as for the pretty picture skyhigh paints, it might be like that at some locations but most of the newer places are well maintained from what I found in occupying and viewing.
For the record, it's not my pretty picture JR. Somebody did a survey with residents across the city centre for many months, which i think was advertised in a story with MEN and included a few thousand people. It seems about 80% of developments are having issues with what i mentioned, including the premier addresses. No1 Deansgate had major problems to the point the media reported on it, but after legal action and a meeting with some of the residents, they have finally sorted most of the issues. When you are paying £12,000 in service charges for the penthouses, i'd expect at least excellent service. Possibly even a hand job. Joking! From what many agents say and former residents, Century Buildings on St Marys Parsonage is one of 'the' best places to live. A few years ago they sacked the management company and took over themselves. The building i hear is spotless, well decorated and even has a guy to park the car for you in the underground car park like at The Dorchester on Park Lane, London. Any problems are dealt with swiftly i believe, almost like a family run outfit. Never been there so can't confirm this.

Oh and because you haven't experienced it, doesn't mean it didn't happen in your block. If a block has 8 floors and hundreds of residents, only a certain amount will actually experience the problem. That's like saying, i live in the centre and i have never seen any trouble. That doesn't mean there isn't any going on. There's loads every night. Trouble is, problems in blocks are not always dealt with properly.

·
I love those crazy dutch
11,569 Posts
Hey skyhigh, I wasn't trying to invalidate your comment, dude. I was just adding my own short experience and noting I didn't encounter the circumstances you described, eh. In turn, guy is seeking a little reassurance about completing a sale, was just trying to offer some aside from the stories of piss on your doorstep and never ending noise!

·
I love those crazy dutch
11,569 Posts
I'd say you're just about out of the problem zone there... I mean you're still located well and within centre boundaries, but I'd assume the extreme issues skyhigh is describing tend to happen to those apartments which are literally on top of the night scene in town, No1 Deansgate, Century Buildings etc are all within pissing distance of the bars.

As for trouble from other residents, yeah I didn't encounter much whatsoever in my time where I lived, aside from some loud music which a quick call to the concierge usually dealt with or the odd party going until the early hours on the weekend, but unfortunately it does go on in places. I'd suggest seeking out a residents association that might have been formed in the block/complex you move into, or indeed thinking of getting one organised when you get in if there isn't one already, you can have a much swifter impact when there's an organised group of you protesting about the behaviour of particular residents. Hopefully though, you'll not encounter too much of a problem, good luck!

·
Registered
89 Posts
The lease document (which is usually identical for each apartment in the block) should contain details of whether this type of subletting is allowed. It's worthwhile asking your solicitor.

If there isn't anything in your lease prohibiting this then I'm pretty sure that most standard leases contain a clause which states something like "no noise should be caused that can be heard outside of your apartment between the hours of 11pm and 7am, including balconies etc."
If you then experience a problem with excessive noise you can complain to the management company who are bound to uphold the terms of the lease.

It really drives me mad when people think that because you want to live in the city centre you want to party all night and you should have to put up with nuisance neighbours.
It's also true that nearly all management companies are a waste of space However I've found if you keep complaining then they soon realise that it is easier to deal with the root cause than having to fob off a Victor Meldrew type character like me!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers jon
i think im going to ask my solicitor if they can find out through the management people who are neighbouring to my apartment - would be interesting to know the level of private residents to those that are say vacant or rented.
i understand most pads in town centres can be loud at times and thats something i dont mind as i too will be having a fair few parties with music prob above the norm at times, its just those people that dont own the place and treat it with disrespect that im wanting to avoid.
fingers crossed!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hey skyhigh, I wasn't trying to invalidate your comment, dude. I was just adding my own short experience and noting I didn't encounter the circumstances you described, eh. In turn, guy is seeking a little reassurance about completing a sale, was just trying to offer some aside from the stories of piss on your doorstep and never ending noise!
I think if somebody wanted to move into the city centre, then they should go ahead. But, they must also bear in mind of the possible issues and to make sure the development has a good residents commitee and a 24 hour concierge. Also, if you bear in mind these things will happen from time to time and to handle them calmly, then i think they will have a happy time in the centre.

·
Registered
967 Posts
No1 Deansgate, Century Buildings etc are all within pissing distance of the bars.
Don't forget, there are busy bars 'all over' the centre! You just need to be well planned when choosing the apartment and development. The agents will advise too and do some research through local media and property guides.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Just out of interest, does anybody have any opinions or info on the W3 apartment building. That's the green and red one opposite The Palace Theatre on the corner of Oxford St and Whitworth St West. It's a big development with a big private garden at the back and i notice they cannot sell the Penthouses for love nor money. The corner 'Turret Penthouse', the biggest apartment in the building is for sale with Reeds Rains. It's been reduced and reduced, now at £465,000 for 2900 sq ft inc' big terrace included. Bargain!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I think the biggest problem the city is going to have with these apartments being rented out for parties is that the MEN's just ran a front page article advertsing that you can do it.

At the end of the day its a great option for a nights out and the restrictions that London has put in place confirms this. I've thought of doing it myself and when friends come up to Manchester I've suggested squeezing people into a serviced apartment for the weekend. People will sleep on the floor/sofa at their mates house, there's no reason they won't do it in some plush apartment. As people discover the concept it will only get worse unless they do something about it.

That said its a great service to have in the city. Setting minimum weekend rent periods to cover Friday, Sat and Sunday would curtail 90% of the problem. Preventing single night midweek rentals for (predominantly business visitors) would achieve nothing though, and would be detrimental to the city.

Adam, I wouldn't worry too much about this being a problem in the green quarter. the cheapest apartments to rent are more central and closer to the nightlife so the GQ wouldn't be a competitive location. There's seemingly only a handful of business that actually provide these apartments for daily rental and an hour or two surfing the 'net as a prospective customer will allow you to pinpoint where most of these are.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts