Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Live your life
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I might be moving to Montreal and am looking for websites/people that might be able to help me out...

1. Are there any websites for Montreal similar to (www.viewit.ca) viewit.ca has some Montreal apartments but really not that many.

2. I was in Mon treal on business today and took a walk down in Old Montreal.. are there many apartments in Old Montreal? it really looks like a great place to live.

I am 24 years old, I would prefer to be where there is life and hip/luxury.. would there be another area of Montreal you would suggest? I am looking for a 1 bedroom with den.

P.S. could someone explain to me what all this 4 1/2 stuff is ... (this might be a stupid question, but it seems to be in all the montreal rent adds i've seen) i know that it is meant to explain how many rooms (bedrooms ?) there are but why would they not simply say 1 or 2 bedroom .. what would a 1 bedroom plus den be a 5 1/2 ??

(sorry for all the questions)

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The numbers count the rooms. So a 3 1/2 is a 1 bedroom + 1 kitchen + 1 living room/dinning room. A 4 1/2 is a 2 bedroom. I dont know what a 1 bd + den would be, but I'd imagine it could be listed as a 4 1/2 (1 bdrm, 1 ktch, 1 lvr, 1 den) But I would say that 90% of 3 1/2's are simply 1 bedroom units where 4 1/2's are 2 bedroom units. And the 5 1/2's and 6 1/2's are probably where you get your den's and such.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
"I am 24 years old, I would prefer to be where there is life and hip/luxury.. would there be another area of Montreal you would suggest?"

Well, besides old Montreal, you might wanna check out the Plateau Mont-Royal, Mile End and N-D-G(Notre-Dame-de-Graces) These are all good neighborhoods to live in and they are pretty close to all the action.

A 3 1/2 is a one bedroom appartment, a 4 1/2 is a 2 bedromm appartment and a 5 1/2 is a 3 bedroom appartment.

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
check La Cité, my friend has a big 1 bedroom with kitchen, balcony, den and is right in the middle of downtown, (close to the mcgill girls dormatories omg;))... 1050$/month.

·
Registered
168 Posts
okay, first things first. check out moremontreal.com, alouer.voir.ca as well as the classifieds of all the major dailies and weeklies (the gazette, la presse, le journal de montréal, le devoir, the mirror, hour, voir, ici).

here's the low-down on a few neighbourhoods that might suit a 24 year old looking for something hip and luxurious. (that's one thing... can you actually afford hip and luxurious?) i'm being pretty strict with my neighbourhood definitions here; in reality you'll be looking in a few general areas.

old montreal
ville-marie expressway to harbour; bonaventure expressway to berri

expensive, but if you can afford it, you might like it. lots of trendy bars and restaurants. the big downside is the lack of amenities such as supermarkets. the whole area is pretty much geared towards rich yuppies and tourists. apartments here tend to be of the loft or swanky condo variety.

central plateau
st-denis to papineau; st-joseph to rachel

again, quite pricy. for a 3 1/2 you're looking at $900 and up; for a 4 1/2, $1000 and up. (there might still be some deals, though.) beautiful neighbourhood that is always busy. everything you need is within a 5 minute walk, including the metro. the housing stock here includes lots of plexes and some postwar apartment blocks. mont-royal avenue is the main drag here.

monkland village
monkland avenue from decarie to grand

vibrant neighbourhood with a diverse mix of people ranging from students to yuppies to families. i'm not sure what prices are like here, but i have some friends who live in an upper duplex 6 1/2 right on monkland for $1500. monkland avenue has every kind of business you'd need; the sidestreets are quiet and leafy.

downtown
atwater to mcgill college; sherbrooke to rené-lévesque

plenty to choose from here. you could go for the apartment tower route and find a place in some concrete highrise or you could search a bit harder for a nice apartment in an old victorian building. prices downtown can be surprisingly reasonable and there are plenty of amenities.

mcgill ghetto and lower plateau
university to st-denis; pine to sherbrooke

tons of students, wildly variable prices but also a huge diversity of apartments to choose from. there's everything from old victorians to prewar apartment buildings to postwar towers. if your budget is big enough, you can pretty much find what you want here. the neighbourhood is chock full of amenities including many grocery stores (including a 24hr one). there's also dozens of bars and restaurants. again, though, there's plenty of students and the closer you live to st-laurent, the rowdier it will be.

western plateau
park to st-denis; mont-royal to pine

definitely hip, maybe not so luxurious. this is a great neighbourhood full of artists and creative types (not to mention scores of immigrants and a growing number of yuppies) and it has a very eclectic, ramshackle feel. apartments here have pretty variable prices so it's hard to pin down what you'd be paying. the character and quality of apartments varies from street to street, too, and whether it's been renovated or not.

laurier village
laurier avenue between christophe-colomb and papineau

the east end equivalent to monkland village. no idea about prices. very leafy, pleasant sidestreets; mostly plexes with some postwar apartment buildings and some new condo buildings thrown in. laurier avenue has all sorts of amenities and there is a nice neighbourly feel about the whole area.

--

so that's what i would imagine you might be interested in. there are some other areas you might like, too: mile end (where i live), outremont, westmount, the gay village. and of course there are many, many other great neighbourhoods in montreal.

·
Live your life
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kilgoretrout said:
okay, first things first. check out moremontreal.com, alouer.voir.ca as well as the classifieds of all the major dailies and weeklies (the gazette, la presse, le journal de montréal, le devoir, the mirror, hour, voir, ici).

here's the low-down on a few neighbourhoods that might suit a 24 year old looking for something hip and luxurious. (that's one thing... can you actually afford hip and luxurious?) i'm being pretty strict with my neighbourhood definitions here; in reality you'll be looking in a few general areas.

old montreal
ville-marie expressway to harbour; bonaventure expressway to berri

expensive, but if you can afford it, you might like it. lots of trendy bars and restaurants. the big downside is the lack of amenities such as supermarkets. the whole area is pretty much geared towards rich yuppies and tourists. apartments here tend to be of the loft or swanky condo variety.

central plateau
st-denis to papineau; st-joseph to rachel

again, quite pricy. for a 3 1/2 you're looking at $900 and up; for a 4 1/2, $1000 and up. (there might still be some deals, though.) beautiful neighbourhood that is always busy. everything you need is within a 5 minute walk, including the metro. the housing stock here includes lots of plexes and some postwar apartment blocks. mont-royal avenue is the main drag here.

monkland village
monkland avenue from decarie to grand

vibrant neighbourhood with a diverse mix of people ranging from students to yuppies to families. i'm not sure what prices are like here, but i have some friends who live in an upper duplex 6 1/2 right on monkland for $1500. monkland avenue has every kind of business you'd need; the sidestreets are quiet and leafy.

downtown
atwater to mcgill college; sherbrooke to rené-lévesque

plenty to choose from here. you could go for the apartment tower route and find a place in some concrete highrise or you could search a bit harder for a nice apartment in an old victorian building. prices downtown can be surprisingly reasonable and there are plenty of amenities.

mcgill ghetto and lower plateau
university to st-denis; pine to sherbrooke

tons of students, wildly variable prices but also a huge diversity of apartments to choose from. there's everything from old victorians to prewar apartment buildings to postwar towers. if your budget is big enough, you can pretty much find what you want here. the neighbourhood is chock full of amenities including many grocery stores (including a 24hr one). there's also dozens of bars and restaurants. again, though, there's plenty of students and the closer you live to st-laurent, the rowdier it will be.

western plateau
park to st-denis; mont-royal to pine

definitely hip, maybe not so luxurious. this is a great neighbourhood full of artists and creative types (not to mention scores of immigrants and a growing number of yuppies) and it has a very eclectic, ramshackle feel. apartments here have pretty variable prices so it's hard to pin down what you'd be paying. the character and quality of apartments varies from street to street, too, and whether it's been renovated or not.

laurier village
laurier avenue between christophe-colomb and papineau

the east end equivalent to monkland village. no idea about prices. very leafy, pleasant sidestreets; mostly plexes with some postwar apartment buildings and some new condo buildings thrown in. laurier avenue has all sorts of amenities and there is a nice neighbourly feel about the whole area.

--

so that's what i would imagine you might be interested in. there are some other areas you might like, too: mile end (where i live), outremont, westmount, the gay village. and of course there are many, many other great neighbourhoods in montreal.

Thanks for the great reply...

and yes I can afford the upper price range... coming from Ottawa the prices I'm seeing in Montreal are really affordable, i'd be willing to pay up to $1500/month

the lofts in "vieux Montreal" are looking really good but the lack of nearby grocery might be a problem.

N-D-G / westmount / plateau Mont-royal seem like good places too

My office is giving me the choice of either Toronto or Montreal as a base... i'm still weighing the pros and cons on both.

Thanks again

·
Registered
168 Posts
tosco is right, there's always côte-des-neiges... but it's neither hip nor luxurious. it's also very ugly. that said, it's a really fascinating neighbourhood and the area right around côte-des-neiges metro is packed with stuff, including a bunch of 24-hour businesses, including a large supermarket, a big pharmaprix (shopper's drug mart), a second cup and even an outdoor fruit and vegetable market. if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of style for some substance, this would be a good choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts